ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Unable to use FCKEditor with iPad2

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/18/11 02:28 PM Views: 1902 Replies: 15
Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 2:28 PM

I cannot place the cursor inside the edit area from an iPad2. I can click all the icons in the Editor, but without the cursor, no actions are taken. I am able to use the keyboard to enter names of pages and announcements.

Help! How can I create a website from Starbucks?

Rolling EyesEmbarassedRolling Eyes

I can enter text in a Forum (Thank Goodness!)

Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 7:17 PM - Response #1

Welcome to iPadTwisted Evil

Noticed the same on iPod (iTouch). Simply put, Apps have to be touchscreen aware with the appropriate "hooks" in the apps.

It's sort of like a Windows app that responds to the keyboard but is totally cursor and mouse button deaf. An application has to be coded to receive these "messages" - if that makes sense?

Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 7:28 PM - Response #2

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

Welcome to iPadTwisted Evil...application has to be coded to receive these "messages" - if that makes sense?

Not to me, Jack -- you're light years ahead of me in those areas. Embarassed

Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 7:33 PM - Response #3

Just tried the demo of the CKEditor at http://ckeditor.com/demo and got the message:

Quote:

Your browser is not compatible with CKEditor. CKEditor is compatible with Safari 3.0 or higher. It is also compatible with Internet Explorer 6.0+, Opera 9.5+ and Firefox 2.0+

I don't know how to determine what version of Safari I'm running on an iPad2.

Edited 06/18/11 7:33 PM
Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 7:39 PM - Response #4

Safari version is under Help, About Safari. Current version is 5.0.5 on PC. My iTouch is somewhere for me to see what it is. It used to be same as PC, but Safari had an update since.

But I think the CKeditor message is just a byproduct of incorrect detection, not that it will support "touch" input any better.

I'll followup later.. being , errr, encouraged to quit typing... go somewhere..)Confused

Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 7:45 PM - Response #5

There's no such thing as a "Help" link on the iPad program when it is running. Maybe I can go to the App Store and see.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 11:02 PM - Response #6

You are correct. Had my iTouch tucked away from a trip, but I found it. Supposedly this link will tell you for iPad although for an iPad2 you should be OK and at least at 4.0

http://browsers.about.com/od/safar1/ht/safariversion.htm

On my iTouch and PC I can enter this in the URL - might/should work for you too.

javascript:alert(navigator.userAgent)

I'm running 5.0.2 but I haven't updated for a few months.

UserAgent is the way that browsers are identified to web code. FireFox can actually fake it (addon) and tell a site it's some other browser. Good for testing code.

I should see if I can fake the iPad useragent and see? Haven't done this for some time, but PC Safari supposedly can also do this - pretend to be an iPad version of Safari.

Can't find 5 Safari version yet, but do have FireFox addon.

I used the string for an iPad and CKeditor gave me the same message. But it's wrong - they need to fix the code.

Edited 06/19/11 12:02 AM
Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 1:51 AM - Response #7

Well I found a workable work-around.

Using Splashtop (iPad App) which allows me to see and control my desktop quadcore via wifi. Works good. I'm posting this message in that way.

Even displays flash animations such as the countdown clock.

Edited 06/19/11 1:55 AM
Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 3:22 AM - Response #8

But if you are using a remote desktop, then it's your PC that is doing all the work, not the iPad. Not exactly a work-around in the sense that it's an iPad solution. Unless you want to pack your PC with you on a trip ...Cool

Looks like you can leave your PC running and access remotely too. A bit trickier since you should use a named service thing vs a direct IP - been a bit since I did that when I had to be away and do some work.

I'd be curious to learn if the javascript URL gives you the info you were originally after.

------------

FYI it's translating touch screen commands to appropriate Windows "messages" so the PC apps work. What someone should do is make a native app that does the same. It's such a natural "hole" that the only thing stopping someone would be Apple.

Edited 06/19/11 3:35 AM
Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 2:32 PM - Response #9

Source mode works. Did you try that?

Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 7:28 PM - Response #10

Not ignoring you, Jack. Just been up to my A** in Alligators the last two days. I'll get caught up soon.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 at 11:16 PM - Response #11

I did find that the Splashtop App only works if the PC/MAC is on the SAME WiFi node as the iPad.

Looking at another App that works via WiFi and 3G across the Internet. (I only have WiFi, however.)

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 at 11:24 PM - Response #12

John Chidester wrote:

I cannot place the cursor inside the edit area from an iPad2. I can click all the icons in the Editor, but without the cursor, no actions are taken. I am able to use the keyboard to enter names of pages and announcements

I received a reply from a support person for a third-party browser:

Quote:

iOS doesn't support Rich Text Editing yet. Hence the keyboard doesn't popup. This will be supported in iOS 5.0. It is scheduled for release in about a month.

Best Regards,
Vivek

Edited 06/21/11 11:25 PM
Wednesday, June 22, 2011 at 12:04 AM - Response #13

WiFi and 3G are just connection methods. The others you know about are cable, DSL, WiMax, and POTS and also direct connect (router, switch or just a cable).

The only thing you require is the IP address of the machine you want to connect to - since that's how it "finds" the other machine. It's simpler for a Local Area Network (LAN).

For outside access, the IP you get from your provider changes, so you want to use a service (management pgm) that tracks your system indirectly. Then there's the port used, defaults normally OK .... As I said earlier, been a few years since I did that - but that's the basic concept. Not too different from how a URL results in an IP. (A router can complicate things a tad.)

Technically, IP doesn't care how far away something is ("across the Internet"), just that some IPs are reserved for "local" use - aka LAN vs WAN (and similar abbreviations where AN is "area network"). Other than that, there's no difference in how it works. That's the beauty of the internet design.

In some ways this (IP) is the same as when you dial a phone number. Doesn't matter how far away the number you are dialing is - all you need is the phone number of the party you are trying to reach. You don't care how it gets there, microwave, landline or satellite.

So the app needs to know "where" your desktop is by obtaining the IP in some way. Of course you needs apps on both ends that "talk" to each other. The app you use should give you more details. There's probably something else you need to knowCool Brad probably does this a lot - so he can fill in what I'm missing here.

What's pretty cool about this is that on the road you can now access your PC any time. And not just your iPad.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 at 12:16 AM - Response #14

John Chidester wrote:

iOS doesn't support Rich Text Editing yet. Hence the keyboard doesn't popup. This will be supported in iOS 5.0. It is scheduled for release in about a month.

I never realized that RTF was part of the browser. Always thought the program did the formatting. Sounds like the RTF editors use a slightly different input that does not trigger the keyboard popup (the "msg" thing I referred to earlier). Should be a very simple fix. Bad Apple for not doing this long time agoTwisted Evil

Thanks for finding this out John. I'll be on the lookout and update my iTouch since it shares a LOT with the iPad.

Monday, August 8, 2011 at 2:15 AM - Response #15

Latest iOS 4.3.5 didn't seem to have an update that would allow the iPad2 to edit FCK windows.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.