ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

New Entries Since Your Last Visit Popup

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/14/16 02:38 PM Views: 1432 Replies: 20
Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 2:38 PM

When a user goes to a classmate page that has changed since their last visit, the "You Have New Entries" popup pops up. All well and good if you want the notice. If you don't want the notice, checking the box that says, "Don't bother me with this anymore," doesn't prevent the popup from activating on the next classmate one visits. Is this supposed to how it works?

Edited 08/14/16 2:39 PM
Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 5:50 PM - Response #1

I was wondering about this myself. I always used to check "don't show this screen again" on every classmate believing that would stop the message, but as you mentioned, it didn't.

What exactly does it do then? Will clicking it then Never again show us in yellow, what's new on that profile? If so, it would be nice to have a global reset, since I want to easily see what's new, but Not the Message.

Is there a way to reset all the classmates that I've clicked that on, or am I misunderstanding what clicking "don't show this screen again" actually does?

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 11:45 AM - Response #2

That's what I was trying to say in my message yesterday "Yellow highlights notice" - I get the impression that checking the box on prevents the notice from appearing the next time that person updates their profile. If it works correctly, now that you've seen the highlights, the next time they update something different, only the new update will be highlighted. If you checked the box, you just wouldn't get a box telling what the yellow means. If you didn't check the box last time, you'll still get the notice.

But I only want to see that notice box one time, ever. Now that I know what yellow means, that's enough. There could be another way to explain that without having to interrupt and make you click, if CC thinks we don't get the idea.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 12:59 PM - Response #3

Yes, I agree. And if we clicked "don't show this screen again" thinking it would depress the message new stuff is in yellow, but actually stops showing us updates (which I certainly Want to see), How do we Reset all the ones we already clicked on?

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 1:05 PM - Response #4

And was all of this intentional, or simply an oversight by the programmers?

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 1:32 PM - Response #5

I think it's 'fixed'?

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 8:12 PM - Response #6

Fixed? I just clicked on a bunch of Profile Updates displayed in the right side box on our home page. None of them showed yellow highlights nor pop-up messages. I'd like to see the highlights of what's new that I haven't seen since I last looked at that person's profile, just not the messages about them. Maybe this is an interim fix till they figure out how to give us the best options.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 8:30 PM - Response #7

That's why I put the ? mark there. All the profile updates were not really profile updates, just that they bought a Reunion ticket. Although even though that popup showed, there was no yellow text anywhere.

After the popup showed on another one profile, I then clicked do not show again and then none of them showed the popup.

So I'm not sure exactly what's going on but buying a ticket is not really a profile update - even if it shows on the right side. The ticket buyers still show as updates on the right.

Only one was an actual update, but that was a new picture and that didn't show in yellow. I think that was always that way?

Friday, August 19, 2016 at 3:20 AM - Response #8

Classcreator,

If anyone is working on this, please remember to give us some way to Reset all the classmates that we clicked "don't show this screen again."

We want to see the New Stuff in yellow, but by now we know what it means and don't want to see the explanation box every time.

Thanks

Monday, August 22, 2016 at 5:19 PM - Response #9

If there are any major changes, we will certainly keep the admins informed. The only recent adjustments that may have happened were fixes to functionality that should have been working but were not.

Monday, August 22, 2016 at 6:03 PM - Response #10

First of all, thank you for marking the New Material in Yellow, that is very nice!

The INTRODUCTORY MESSAGE that the new material is in yellow was also very nice, but got annoying pretty fast.

My general assumption was that once I understood that the new material was in yellow, I could click "don't show this again" and I wouldn't see the INTRODUCTORY MESSAGE again. I had no Idea that I was actually cancelling the Functionality and would never see the new material in yellow again. At least that's what I think is happening, it's a little hard to tell for sure.

Some questions,
1) How do we stop the INTRODUCTORY MESSAGE from showing on every classmate.

2) How do we RESET all the classmates we have already clicked on, so that once more, we will see the new in yellow? (I clicked it on every classmate for a while, and think a lot of other people may have also, and have no way of telling who they were, even if we did know how to Reset them.)

3) Any chance of a Global Reset Option?

Thanks!

Friday, August 26, 2016 at 11:06 AM - Response #11

We are discussing some options to better handle the highlight notification box or even eliminate it.

Monday, January 23, 2017 at 12:10 PM - Response #12

Gary - we have eliminated the pop up notification from the profiles.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 1:54 AM - Response #13

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

Gary - we have eliminated the pop up notification from the profiles.

So we will still see the "new" stuff in yellow, that was helpful and much appreciated. We just don't get the INTRODUCTORY MESSAGE that "the new material is in yellow" every time. Am I understanding you correctly?

If so, that's great and thank you!

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 5:17 PM - Response #14

Yes, that is correct.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 12:14 AM - Response #15

I'm still seeing the notification pop-up, and personally, I'm glad it's still there. Some have pointed out that it's repetitive, redundant, and annoying. I can't argue with that.

And it wasn't perfect. It didn't always pop up when there was a change which was not yet seen (and was highlighted if you paged down far enough to find it). And some changes like new posted messages were never highlighted in yellow, so without the pop-up the fact that there was a change wasn't always obvious.

But when there are unseen and highlighted profile changes which do not show up in the Class Profile list with a highlighted check mark, at least it did let you know to look for a highlighted change if you happened to go there or saw something on the What's New page.

I was disappointed to read that it had 'been eliminated'. I'd hoped that we would get an option to turn the pop-up off for those who didn't want it - without affecting the yellow highlighting for new items. And maybe some work to make sure that it would pop up if there was anything new and highlighted in the profile.

Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 3:04 PM - Response #16

John, I am told that the programmer found an issue in the code and has made the adjustment.

Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 5:57 PM - Response #17

Thanks. I see that the pop-up has been replaced by a one-line sentence at the top of the profile. Not nearly as eye-catching/visible, and easily missed on an Ads-Only site, but it's there, and I can live with that.
Still would be nice if new messages were highlighted though as the new version still says anything new will be.

Friday, February 10, 2017 at 3:08 AM - Response #18

Gary Scott wrote:

Yes, I agree. And if we clicked "don't show this screen again" thinking it would depress the message new stuff is in yellow, but actually stops showing us updates (which I certainly Want to see), How do we Reset all the ones we already clicked on?

Is there any way to reset our sites?

Friday, February 10, 2017 at 11:50 AM - Response #19

I am not sure what you mean by a reset? There is not one that I know of. If you have not visited a profile, when you do you will see the highlighted update. If you leave and then return, it is no longer highlighted.

Friday, February 10, 2017 at 5:13 PM - Response #20

Well, I'm not positive that I understand all the ins and outs of the way it works. Originally, the message would pop up advising that the New Stuff would be highlighted in yellow and had the option to "Never Show This Again."

I assumed that if I clicked Never Show this Again, that the yellow notice "New Stuff is in Yellow" would not show again.

Since I'd seen the message and now knew the New Stuff was in Yellow, and desiring not to be continually reminded the "New Stuff is in Yellow," I clicked Never Show This Again - every time I saw it, yet I kept seeing the announcement, and kept clicking in hopes it would go away (the notice, not the yellow highlighting). I probably clicked on 40 or 50 of them.

Now, and I may not be correct, but I have the perception that those profiles that I clicked Never Show on, will no longer show ANY yellow highlighting. Is this correct or am I misunderstanding how it works?

IF I'm correct and those profiles that I clicked Never Show on, will no longer show the new stuff in yellow, THAT'S what I'm wondering if can be reset all across our site and for everyone. In other words, reset it so that those profile pages WILL now show the new stuff in yellow.

Am I completely misunderstanding how this works?

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.