Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Announcements Problem.

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/10/09 02:54 PM Views: 1521 Replies: 10
Friday, July 10, 2009 at 2:54 PM

HELP!
I know this has been asked 1000 times,
How do I keep my Announcements to stay directly below my MAIN CONTENT on the home page? I have tried to size text smaller and deleted images to get my announcements to post directly under my home page content and have had no luck.
I didn't do anything to make it change just one day I signed on and the announcement had moved to below the columns on the right hand of the screen.(ie: missing classmates, polls etc.)

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Kelly

Friday, July 10, 2009 at 4:12 PM - Response #1

You are putting hard spaces between your words in your Announcement headings in Announcements #3 and #4. I'm not sure if you're doing this (you have to hold down the Shift key while pressing the space bar to do this) or if you're copying in code from a third party app and it's doing it, but regardless, you can't do that. Doing so will cause your content to stretch out too wide, and the system will honor your hard spaces.

To learn more about hard spaces and see why they can be a problem see this thread.

To learn more about why Firefox (and Safari and Google Chrome) behave this way when content doesn't fit, see this thread.

Friday, July 10, 2009 at 5:15 PM - Response #2

Thank you again.
I'm not sure how the hard spaces were added because I didn't know who to do that and made no changes before it happened...but I will check that the next time it happens.
Thanks again.
Kelly

Saturday, August 15, 2009 at 9:31 AM - Response #3

So I have the same problem with the announcements. The strange thing is that I HAVE NOT been to the site and made any changes and the announcements just moved to the bottom of the page without anything being changed! How is this happening? Have you done any site update that would change the announcements?

Saturday, August 15, 2009 at 10:19 AM - Response #4

I am having the same problem. My announcements along with some of my content has now moved to the bottom of the page past the right-side column stuff. What happened?

Saturday, August 15, 2009 at 10:56 AM - Response #5

What in the world is going on? My announcements are overlapping the content on the right hand side of our home page. Someone touched something and it wasn't me? What happened Class Creator?

Saturday, August 15, 2009 at 11:58 AM - Response #6

I've got the same problem and haven't touched anything on the homepage in two days. Something like this happened about a month ago, turned out it was caused by the People History group. Not sure if that's the cause this time. I tried to fix things but no luck so far and if it is the People History problem, I don't want to spend the time trying to fix it.

Virginia

Saturday, August 15, 2009 at 2:40 PM - Response #7

I am also experiencing the same problem. My announcements took a nosedive to the bottom of the page overnight. Haven't done any editing to the Home Page in several days, can't figure out what happened.

I too, think it may have something to do with The People History folks.

Thank you.

Linda

Edited 08/15/09 2:46 PM
Saturday, August 15, 2009 at 4:07 PM - Response #8

What's happening is the third party This Day In History feed included a large image in the feed today for the first time. The large image is causing the entire right hand column to expand, and as a result is messing up home page formatting. We'll have to put in some programming that scans for images that are too wide inside of that feed and resize them to the maximum size on the fly so this doesn't happen again. For now I've disabled the entire feed, curing any page formatting issues.

Edited 08/15/09 4:10 PM
Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 12:39 AM - Response #9

Hi
I am having trouble with my announcement as well.
My problem is that the text is in a skinny column on the right edge of the screen. Hw do i fix that?
Thanks
Mollyanne

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 1:49 AM - Response #10

It's becuase you have table code in Announcement #3. The problem is there is no start or stop to the table, there's just the table code that goes in the middle. This pretty much confuses the entire page. If that doesn't make sense don't worry about it, I zapped the excess code. I'm not sure how it got in there. I'd assume you either had a table at one point and inadvertently deleted only a portion of the code, or maybe the content was copied and pasted from another application.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.