ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Custom welcome message

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/03/08 06:42 PM Views: 1669 Replies: 7
Monday, November 3, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Hi! There are 2 administrators on our site and we want both of our names and welcome message when classmates register with our site. Is there any way to do this? We are just about ready to e-mail the class but are waiting for this feature.

Monday, November 3, 2008 at 11:54 PM - Response #1

For now include both of your names in the body of the email and go ahead and email your Class.

What you're waiting for is the Preferences area, which will allow you to edit that welcome message. Dave Kauffman is working on this now, but it's one intensive project let me tell you (numerous independent features need to be programmed) -- so it's going to be awhile yet before this goes live.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 5:50 PM - Response #2

Hi Brad,

The Preferences now allows us to "edit the default verbage", which I want to do to the "Welcome" message. I have these questions, please:

1.) I understand that I can "rearrange, duplicate, remove, but not alter the default", but under what circumstances would I do the first 3, & can you give me a definition of what you mean by "alter?"

2.) I know I can (& have)done this elsewhere on the site; know I can send Class Email etc,..... But I want to add something more personal, plus emphasize needing help with finding people, and getting volunteers. etc., ....but is there a word or character limit?

3.) Does the closing signiture have to be the root admin? I'd rather put another regular co-admin's name, or just something generic.

Thanks, as always! N

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 6:01 PM - Response #3

1) The "rearrange, duplicate, remove, etc." you're talking about is in relation to Profile Generator, and has nothin to do with the Preferences area nor the defualt welcome message. Nonetheless, "alter" means you cannot change a questions intent. For instance, let's take the "Attneding Reunion?" question. You wouldn't want to change that to something like "Ever been divorced?". You need to keep the intent of the question, so for example you could change it to "Will you be attending our 50th reunion in Smithville?". It's still the same intent, just your own custom wording.

2) There is no character limit. But obviously you'd want to keep your email at a reasonable length.

3) Emails in the Preferences area come out from the Root Admin by default, but yes, right below that you can select the button to override that, and have email come from whatever name and email address you want.

Edited 02/19/09 6:03 PM
Friday, February 20, 2009 at 1:54 PM - Response #4

HI BRAD, THANKS FOR THE REPLY.

1. BUT, Re: the the verbiage "rearrange .....etc.": AS YOU CAN SEE, THE LAST SENTENCE OF THE PARAGRAPH BELOW WAS TAKEN FROM THE "PREFERENCE" PAGE.

2. SO I AM TO UNDERSTAND THAT IF I DO NOTHING TO THE SENTENCES IN THE WELCOME MESSAGE, I CAN INSERT MY OWN ADDED SENTENCES OR PARAGRAPHS WITHIN THE DEFAULT MESSAGE OR BETWEEN THE DEFAULT SENTENCES ..... AND WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT CHARACTER LIMITS (within reason, of course) ? ?

3. Re: the Closing signature: YES, I KNOW ABOUT THE 'OVERRIDE', BUT OUR SITE ADDRESS THERE IS "info@southside64.com". THIS HAS A "FORWARDING EMAIL" FEATURE TO TWO OTHER EMAIL ADDRESSES, ONE OF THEM MINE (nancee@kirkrosemanor.com). THEY TELL ME THE 'WELCOME' MESSAGES SAY 'FROM NANCEE LOUGHEED', WHICH IS THE NAME LISTED IN THE "ROOT ADMIN" BOX. IS THAT POSSIBLE? I WANT THE SIGNATURE TO BE ANOTHER C0-ADMINS NAME OR SOMETHING GENERIC.

THANKS FOR THE GREATEST SITE & SERVICE! N

FROM THE PREFERENCE PAGE:

AUTOMATIC EMAILS

Your site sends the following automatic emails. While it is recommended you leave these activated, you can deactivate any of them and you may also edit the default verbiage below. You can rearrange, duplicate or remove the following variables, but do not alter them:

$first_name$ - inserts the first name of Classmate.
$school$ - inserts the name of your school.
$year$ - inserts "Class of XXXX" - where XXXX is your graduating year.
$homepage$ - inserts a link to your home page.
$ca_first_name$ - inserts Administrator's first name.
$ca_last_name$ - inserts Administrator's last/maiden name.
$ca_married_name$ - inserts Administrator's married name.

ACTIVE EMAIL

Welcome Message: Goes out to new Classmates immediately upon joining the site.
Subject Line:
Congratulations $first_name$! You have successfully joined the $school$ $year$ web site.

Please don't hesitate to email me if you need any assistance using our site.

Don't forget you can log back into your account any time by using the gray login box in the upper right corner of our site's home page at $homepage$.

Thanks again for joining, and welcome aboard!

Sincerely,

$ca_first_name$ $ca_last_name$ $ca_married_name$

Friday, February 20, 2009 at 2:33 PM - Response #5

1) Ok ya got me. Score 1 you, me nothing. That wording is incredibly similar to the wording in Profile Generator. Well, I wrote both of them, so I guess that shouldn't be too surprising. Smile What I mean by alter is do not change the variable name in any way. Changing even 1 character in a variable will break it.

2) Yup, you can write whatever you want in your default message. And yes, writing a novel as your opening email to classmates is probably not wise. Unless you happen to be a very good novelist, in which case I'd say go for it.

3) Just delete the variable and sign the welcome email from whoever you want. Those variables are there for convenience, but if you want to delete one, just zap it and type whatever you want in its place. Voila, your welcome email is now signed by whoever you want it to be signed by.

Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 12:30 AM - Response #6

THANKS BRADSTER!

HEY, YOU 'KEEP SCORE' IF YOU WANT TO , BUT I LEARNED LONG AGO THAT 'YA DONNA WANNA MESS WITH DA WIZARD' ~ SORRY IF IT CAME CROSS THAT WAY ~ TRULY, THE FURTHEST THING FROM MY MIND.

BLESSINGS TO YA 'WIZ', N

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 12:40 AM - Response #7

"Bradster Wizard" eh? You guys are too much. I've had theories that there's multiple Brads, rumors that I never sleep, and some people calling me Professor. What to do! Maybe I should change my forum name to Professor Switzer. You know it kind of is a Web 101 school here don't ya think??

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.