ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Making User Forums exclusive for members

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/15/10 09:19 PM Views: 1648 Replies: 6
Monday, March 15, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Hi,
I'm a newbie, having just put up my class site. Google has found us. I don't want non-members, i.e., the public, to access any of the links on the home page. Right now, anyone can read the User Forums. What do I do so that when a non-registered person clicks on any item in the forum they have the "Please log in" come up instead of showing the content of the forum?
Thanks for your help!

Monday, March 15, 2010 at 11:00 PM - Response #1

To make Home Page content require a password, do the following....

1. Edit Site Pages
2. Edit Home Page.
3. In any of the modules that you don't want a non-logged in person to view, click on the "Logged In ONLY" column.

NOTE: IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED to password protect the "Classmate Profile" page because that is how your classmates will sign up.

I forgot to say, "WELCOME TO THE CLASS CREATOR FAMILY!!!"

Edited 03/15/10 11:02 PM
Monday, March 15, 2010 at 11:42 PM - Response #2

Thanks, but I can't find "User Forums" in the list of modules.

Monday, March 15, 2010 at 11:51 PM - Response #3

What you're wanting to do is this:

1) Click Edit Site Pages
2) Place a checkbox in the Password column next to User Forums

That's all there is to it. Doing this will make Google drop anything it's picked up so far (it may take a few days for that to happen but not too long), and will prevent the search engines or the public from reading your User Forums in the future.

Monday, March 15, 2010 at 11:53 PM - Response #4

OOPS. I told you to go too far. It is just under Edit Site Pages. There is a column called "Password". Add a check mark next to the row USER FORUMS.

Sorry about that.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 at 12:27 AM - Response #5

Thank you! I got it. Now, do I have provide the system password to all so they can go into the password protected areas? Sorry, the learning curve here is steep for a 1961 grad! Appreciate your helpSmile

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 at 12:31 AM - Response #6

No. The Password is only necessary for those who don't have a Login Username & Password. After a classmate is logged in, they don't need the "System Password" for your website.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.