ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Linking a zipped folder on the picture page

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/23/08 07:17 AM Views: 1346 Replies: 5
Tuesday, December 23, 2008 at 7:17 AM

These are fairly straight forward questions, but I need some help.

First off, here is what I would like to do. Take the whole smash of reunion photos, and zip them up into a folder for downloading at the website.

question 1) Where do I actually put the folder if it's getting a link to it's location??? On the same page??

question 2) The link box asks for a URL and would that URL address be the same at the website URL or do I need to create the URL address to make the link work correctly??? This needs some explanation please.

Question 3) The source code is for what?? The anchor Does What? This also needs some explanation.

I realize that some of the issues I covered are not always possible to achieve, and that is perfectly fine in this case. I just had to ask anyway.

Thanks for your help on this subject.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 at 8:50 AM - Response #1

Quote:

question 1) Where do I actually put the folder if it's getting a link to it's location??? On the same page??

You can upload the folder to class creator. Note the location.

Quote:

question 2) The link box asks for a URL and would that URL address be the same at the website URL or do I need to create the URL address to make the link work correctly??? This needs some explanation please.

Use the link location you noted above.

Quote:

Question 3) The source code is for what?? The anchor Does What? This also needs some explanation.

Clicking on the source code button allows one to tinker with the the html code. This requires some knowledge of html. The anchor allows one to jump to another part of a page. For instance, if you were at the bottom of the page you could click on a link and it would take you back to the top. There are a number of examples showing how to do this in forum posts.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 at 11:41 AM - Response #2

A couple more things:

1) This thread describes how to use the anchor.

2) When you're getting into html and source code to expand what you can do on your site, try Googling "html tutorial" and click on one of the many free tutorials that come up on page 1. In just a few hours you can learn all kinds of neat little things you can do on your site.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 at 12:13 PM - Response #3

Thats helpful Info thanks.

is there a page on the class creator site for doing uploads??? Can you point me in the right direction??

Do I need an FTP Utility to access the server???

So. . . . let me see if I understand the whole procedure of what I need to do.

1) Upload Folder to Class Creator (somewhere)
2) Copy link Location after upload & Paste that it in the "Link Box" at the reunion website???

Ok, how far off am I still??

Thanks again for your help

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 at 12:23 PM - Response #4

We have a true File Libarary feature coming out in '09. You may or may not be able to upload your zip file depending on its size. You can try though:

1) Go into Edit mode for any page
2) Click the chain link icon
3) Click the Upload tab
4) Upload your zip file

Note the resulting file path so you can link to it. If you have problems due to file size, you can always use one of the free file hosts out there, such as rapidshare.com, to host your zip file. If you do that, just link to the file there.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 at 12:42 PM - Response #5

Thanks Brad. . . . . & Charles. Very Happy

That was perfectly Helpful.

Yeah, I was curious myself about the space available.

That's why I thought a zipped folder would be a better choice for all the pictures.

if the upload fails because of size, then I'll cross that road when I get there.

I really appreciate all the support.

Class Creator is a really slick place. I wish you all the best.

Happy Holidays to you all.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.