ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Were you listening to the Beatles here in America in 1962?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/09/11 02:52 PM Views: 1137 Replies: 6
Wednesday, November 9, 2011 at 2:52 PM

The 1962 History/Videos provided by ThePeopleHistory.com is a great "memory tickler". Glad it's part of our package. However, one of my eagle eyed classmates mentioned that, here in North Texas, the Beatles weren't on our radar screen until at least a year after we graduated in May, 1962. To us, to have them as the top Popular Singers of 1962 seems a little aggressive.

So! For those of you who graduated from high school in 1962, were the Beatles something you were listening to when you were in high school?

Maybe we were behind the times, but we thought we were pretty current and with it - you know, cool!

Thought I'd canvass you rather than google - I'm sure to get better stories from this forum!

Thanks!

Leahray Smith Wroten
denison62 - Texas

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 at 3:14 PM - Response #1

The Fab 4 didn't appear on American Television until Feb 9, 1964, when they appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show. They were enormous in the later part of 1963 in America. 1962? Hardly.

I think the top song in 63 was the Singing Nun or something wierd like that.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah,
Jim

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 at 3:42 PM - Response #2

I graduated in June of 1963 and the Beatles as you said wern't even on the radar. By Feb. of 1964 they were the hottest band in the land.
Dave

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 at 4:33 PM - Response #3

I had a pen pal from England (still have her as a Facebook friend) and she sent me clippings and informed me all about the Beatles before they hit the US and I am thinking it was 1963. I am pretty sure it was not 1962 because I didn't graduate until 1966 and I am pretty sure I was in high school. I remember taking the clippings and telling all
my girlfriends about them. Sad

Janie

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 at 11:23 PM - Response #4

I did not graduate in 1962, but I distinctly remember that the Beatles "hit the radar" in my town in February of 1964 when I was in the sixth grade...making them "the band" for my class from that time until our graduation in 1970 when the band broke up.... Smile

Thursday, November 10, 2011 at 10:36 AM - Response #5

I graduated in 1962 in Mississippi.....no Beatles until a couple of years later!

Thursday, November 10, 2011 at 12:42 PM - Response #6

Well, in Texas geography I was in the Valley near Brownsville where we got everything after the rest of the world (takes a while to cross the King Ranch) and I had never heard of the Beetles until that Ed Sullivan Show date. Even later to hear them on the radio!

M:O)

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.