ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

System Password - clarification?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/09/23 07:47 PM Views: 157 Replies: 2
Sunday, July 9, 2023 at 7:47 PM

Hello, regarding using a System Password, please confirm/clarify. I've found that if a classmate has "Profile Visibility"" checked in their profile, a guest using the System Password will not be able to view their profile. The "Classmate Profiles" page is not restricted to classmates only. The guest can view the "In Memory" profile pages. Does all that sound right?

One of our teacher's birthday is coming up. She is a Guest Member on the site. I sent an email to all other site members letting them know in case they wanted to post a comment. Another Guest member from another graduating year suggested finding a way to enable classmates from other years to post comments on the teacher's profile even if they are not members of our site. I thought the System Password could be used to enable that. The teacher has "Profile Visibility" checked so when a guest clicks on her profile they get the message "Sorry, you must be logged in to view"

I can 'un-check' Profile Visibility in her profile for a couple weeks to enable "guests" to post comments on her profile but before I go that route I wanted to check with you to see if my understanding of how the System Password works is anywhere remotely correct.

Thank you & take care.

Mark Abrams '65

Monday, July 10, 2023 at 9:27 AM - Response #1

In theory, access by system password will let someone view just about everything but profiles - even though pages might be restricted, but will not allow any posts. I have, however, found at least one site where system password access allows viewing all profiles.

Members or Guests should be able to post in a profile whether or not Block Profile Visibility is checked or unchecked. That option only applies to outsiders (and search engines) when they access your site.

Monday, July 10, 2023 at 11:25 AM - Response #2

John, thank you for the response. It actually makes sense in light of personal privacy considerations. I'm thinking of offering non-members to send a birthday message to the teacher via "Contact Us" and I'll pass them on. I'd include a suggestion about becoming a Guest Member. I could be wrong but I don't think it would be much to do on my end and, after all, the site is all about connecting. Thanks, again. Regards, Mark

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.