ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

TOO MUCH INFORMATION/totally creepy

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 05/04/10 02:04 AM Views: 1694 Replies: 3
Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 2:04 AM
orangutangthumbsupfunny.jpg

This is probably in the wrong place, but felt compelled to pass this information along...origianlly posted on facebook from a classmate, but worthy to pass along to all whom it may concern!
This webpage, www.spokeo.com
posts private, or once thought tro be private, however inaccurate for all the world to see. The good news is you can remove your name...just click on the privacy link at the bottom of the homepage and follow the prompts. You can copy and paste,etc...it takes a few minutes, but is worth it!
Just an FYI...you may want to post it on your sites if you find it important.
Thanks and Have a great day!
kris

Edited 05/04/10 2:05 AM
Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 4:04 AM - Response #1

Thank YOU Kris,

I found myself listed in two places -- now I'm not and my sister is also listed. I think I will be adding this link to our website (but after I find some of our lost classmates).

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 6:20 AM - Response #2

I spent some time on this site, and found that there are not a lot more names, addresses, and phone numbers listed than you might find on white pages. A good deal of the rest of the information they post is incorrect. Home values are especially off (at least for those I know here in MI).

I found it interesting that friends of mine who don't use the internet at all have about the same amount of "information" listed on this site as those who use it extensively.

There are a number of articles to be found through Google search that speculate on the motives of this company.

I'm not going to post it on our class site.

Edited 05/04/10 8:43 AM
Friday, May 14, 2010 at 1:58 AM - Response #3

Thx for the info.

I went to opt out at the bottom privacy and it kept prompting me to look at my e-mail address.

After 3 attempts it was apparent that the 'Defender' site may be what that site is pushing.

Bottom line is if you do not want the world to see it.
Don't post it anywhere ever.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.