ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Family Website

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/25/11 11:08 PM Views: 1580 Replies: 15
Friday, March 25, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Has anyone tried to use CC as a family history organization website. If not, any thoughts about how it would work to do that kind of site?

Friday, March 25, 2011 at 11:44 PM - Response #1

Hi Richard, Yes, I tried one. Family members started to join, yet I got impatient and had second thoughts and killed it. The two sides of my family, mine and my husbands are so very different... DEPENDS on your family and how much you are all interested in sharing. Meanwhile, I still have the site, inactive and have not decided what to do with it! Maybe run some emails past some family members and get some feedback. Bonita

Friday, March 25, 2011 at 11:45 PM - Response #2

One more answer to your question. It does take alot of work, just like a school site....scanning old pics, etc.

Friday, March 25, 2011 at 11:57 PM - Response #3

Richard, as I understand it, work is in progress to have such, maybe even this year, tho it can be done now with a little manipulating.

I'm anxiously waiting for the real mccoy.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 12:05 AM - Response #4

I apologize for responding without thoroughly reading your question. Good luck. Bonita

Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 6:32 AM - Response #5

My Family Website
The site was created about 3 years ago and has been very well received.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 8:42 AM - Response #6

Good Luck! I do my family genealogy as well as our alumni web site, and there are lots of similarities, such as lots of work and reluctant members, as has already been mentioned. The biggest problem using Class Creator, as I see it, is that genealogy has 3 dimensions and is all about relationships. Class creator is 2 dimensional, and while it's a great place to store photos about people, you run into the problem of 'group' photos--let's say it has your grandparents, your parents, you, and your siblings in it? Under whose name do you store it? Do you replicated it? You start to see the problem. I've been using Ancestry dot com for my genealogy, and you can store images and documents for individuals, and link people to the same image without duplicating. Great feature. Problem with ancestry dot com is the cost--everyone has to 'pay to play' which can get expensive, very quickly. However, most family members don't really get involved anyway, so you're really only getting 'hard core' family members who want to contribute. You can then export your info to display and distribute to interested family members who want to see the info, but don't want to add to it. Good Luck--genealogy (and alumni caretaking) is like panning for gold--you have to sift through a lot of muck to get the golden nuggets, but the feeling you get when you find gold is like no other!

Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 9:18 AM - Response #7

Thanks James Carden for sharing your Family Website, I just looked at it and you did an outstanding job. Now you made me want to start one myself.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 11:37 AM - Response #8

My cousin has one going for the family on CC, and that is how I got introduced to making my high school website. It is fantastic, and 71% active family members of 124 !! The same as making the high school site.
It's very useful for reunions too.
I don't know if you started up one now if you could switch over to the 'family' version when it comes out. Something you might want to ask.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 9:17 PM - Response #9

James, thanks for giving us access to your family website. It makes me want to get started but I'm concerned about changing over from the current CC to the coming Family Creator so I'll probably wait for FC. Does anyone have any idea of a possible startup date on it?

Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 9:20 PM - Response #10

This is just my guess because I haven't talked to any of the programmers. But I think that they haven't even started on any of the break-off projects (Family, Neighborhood, church, Realtor, etc.) because all that needs to happen AFTER they branch the code. And the code branch cannot happen until after ClassCreator 3.0 happens. Then all of the new projects can each have the same base code version - fly out menus, etc.

ClassCreator 3.0 is coming and will be released a little bit at a time.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 9:29 PM - Response #11

Wow, Kyle, do you guys ever take time off or sleep? Smile

One more question, if we go ahead and use CC to create a family website will it be possible to meld(?) it into Family Creator without having to reenter all the data, photos, etc., or would it be necessary to start from scratch with the new Family Creator or is it even possible to answer that question yet? Smile

Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 9:41 PM - Response #12

Thanks to all for your feedback. All I need to have now is courage, ambition and time.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 10:03 PM - Response #13

From what I have read in the forums, I don't think it would be possible but I don't know for sure. I think the only way would be to cut/paste the information.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 10:21 PM - Response #14

Thanks, Kyle! I think I'll wait for the full monty, whatever that means! Smile

Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 10:27 PM - Response #15

There has even been talk in the past about anyone who has subscribed to ClassCreator will get a coupon code to create their family website for free. Not sure if that is still what Brad has in mind, but he did one year ago.

See this forum:
http://forums.classcreator.com/messages.cfm?messageid=A6F75427-083C-7C4D-0E6245B292E693D8#A6F75427-083C-7C4D-0E6245B292E693D8

Edited 03/26/11 10:28 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.