ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Getting Advertisements from Class Creator sponsors instead of an error message

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 02/21/12 11:29 PM Views: 1440 Replies: 10
Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Error in posting a new topic in Reunion Planning on User Forums on HHS63.com.jpg

What happened! I tried adding a new topic to an Admin Forum Post and got an error message: "Ooops listing my IP address (I think) saying An Unexpected error has occurred. This may be a temporary problem. Please wait 5 minutes and try your request again (note - again is underlined and is a hot link)....more text and if I continue to receive it indicate error 123818 when contacting you. Now the hot line for "again" and one other link in the message brings up an advertisement from eglow gadgets for walmart, and then the other link is from intuit for turbo tax. ...The URL for the error message is forums.classcreator.com - i have attached screen captures . The last line of the messages after error 123818 is "Element GLINKS is undefined in a CFML structure referenced as part of an expression.
The error occurred on line 191." What is going on here. There were three screens but I can only seem to add one file attachment

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM - Response #1

It's a Cold Fusion error message saying there's a coding error. That's what CC uses to drive their system. GLINKS does not exist as noted as referenced on line 191.

Someone was probably changing code. If it works now, they found this out already.

To post more screens, just make more posts.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 12:28 AM - Response #2

I've realized that there is an error and thus the error message generated...but was very surprised that when I clicked on a link in the message it took me to advertisements for products like TurboTax and Wallmart ads????

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 2:05 AM - Response #3

Post the other screens. Hard to tell what you saw.

There should not have been any links, etc in the message.
I'm assuming you are talking about the "continue" and "contact" and "again" areas.

It sounds weird since why would CC have links like you describe? This requires some feedback from CC to conclude anything that makes more sense.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 2:25 AM - Response #4
CC ad on again.jpg

Here is the link I got when I clicked on "again"

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 2:30 AM - Response #5
ad from CONTINUE on error message.jpg

Here is the link I got when I clicked on "continue" which actually had some very unfamiliar URL before it then went to the turbotax URL you see there - - and I hovered over the link for "contact us" but noticed that the link actually went to a forums.classcreator.net or .com or at least some familiar URL - but I never looked to see where it actually went.....and since it referenced a specific error message 123818, I figured someone would know more about that on the CC staff

Edited 02/22/12 2:30 AM
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 3:19 AM - Response #6

Lacking CC input so far, but using common sense, I'd say you had some malware running that did all that.

I wonder if you had continued on those where it would have gone. It's possible that was not going to those places at all, but an attempt to collect info from you.

I just fixed a system where it said there was a virus and to send money to enable "protection". Looked like is was from MSFT - totally fake.

So if something like that comes up again, there's something going on.

But let's wait for CC to confirm 100% that they don't put links like that in an error message. Could be the message was fake for that matter. It is interesting to say the least.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:23 AM - Response #7

The links in that error message ABSOLUTELY NOT put in by us or our code. The possible explanations are that you have malware running on your machine that is inserting the links, or that your ISP is running software which inserts those ads. If the latter, you need to raise holy hell with them and let them know that it is a completely unacceptable practice. If the former, then you need to take immediate steps to secure your computer because the same malware could be logging your passwords for all your online accounts and potentially exposing your classmates to risk by accessing and manipulating the content on your class site.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM - Response #8

Thanks - couple of questions? I am running malwarebytes anti-malware and recently on occasion i have received a notice that some malware has been blocked...which is good...but it also indicates block on OUTGOING . That is strange...how would I get malware blocked on outgoing stuff - incoming I understand, but outgoing? And is the error message that was listed in the original post a legitimate message outside of the hot links?? Any suggestions otherwise?

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 1:36 PM - Response #9

If you list the port(s) blocked we can see if they are legitimate or not. Or you can search online for the answer. Often it's just a false positive. Depends .

No anti stuff is perfect since hackers are constantly changing the code to bypass detection. If it comes up again, then I'd do some more sweeps using different software. Free software is usually enough for this. Even MS is worth trying.

I suggest updating to current FireFox. Much faster and more security.

Edited 02/22/12 1:37 PM
Thursday, February 23, 2012 at 10:07 AM - Response #10

If you're being notified of trapped OUTGOING data, then it is a probable indication of malware already on your system. I can't tell you what specifically you should do to properly diagnose and/or repair your system security, since my experience is primarily with Macs, and I have focused on prevention and detection in my own efforts. As far as I know, I have had only one or possibly two instances of malware operating on my machine (excluding certain Adobe and Microsoft software) since 1987. Since upgrading to Mac OS (UNI)X, I have taken advantage primarily of tools baked into the OS to keep an eye on things. I can't make any knowledgeable recommendations to you about solutions for Windows malware problems, because I don't have any idea what utilities Windows offers or whether they tell you anything other than "Check with your System Administrator" when they encounter a problem, as seems to be the standard response to anything more than superficial in Windows Help.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.