ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Announcement Box

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/03/10 06:28 PM Views: 2752 Replies: 16
Monday, May 3, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Ok, so I hate to have to ask, but why is my announcement box extra wide one FF and normal on IE...ALL of a SUDDEN? I did post a group birthday announcement and deleted it and nothing changed and I can see no extranious table or code anywhere? Thanks, Bonita:

Monday, May 3, 2010 at 6:48 PM - Response #1

Because Announcements, if the start after the end of the last right hand module, will expand to fill the entire screen. Over time editing your home page there is some excessive code in there that is being interpreted slightly differently by the two browsers. Stuff like this:

which is just a blank div tag with nothing inside of it. This is causing the spacing to be just a bit different in the two browsers. On IE the box started just high enough that the last right module hadn't concluded. And in Firefox it started just after, which allowed it to span the screen.

I ran a code filter to clean up the excessive code, which solved your problem, but you may need to tweak the spacing between elements to your desire again.

Monday, May 3, 2010 at 8:21 PM - Response #2

Thank you...I'll have to spend more time looking around that code. I want to be able to fix this stuff myself...more code tutorials. Thanks, Brad, Bonita

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 12:26 AM - Response #3

Hi Brad, So, I worked it and then ended up taking out too many spaces trying to get new imbed of new playlist. I tried adding spaces back, but not sure what I did. So, now my announcement box is too small...EmbarassedBonita

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 12:36 AM - Response #4

The Announcements Board will only stretch out wide enough to accommodate whatever content is inside of it. In your case nothing stretches it out now. You won't hear me recommend this very often, but if you want to stretch it wider than your content put in some hard spaces until it's the width you want it.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 1:01 AM - Response #5

Ok. Here's a question.. Does it matter how large or small your Announcement box is????? Sorry, Brad, but I am really working at this. I tried adding hard spaces. Maybe I'm not putting them in the right place. Well, thanks, I'll keep playing with it...Bonita

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 2:03 PM - Response #6

Hi Bonita,

You had a Photo of the Week image overlapping the right side of your page. The title Photo of the Week did not have a new line after it so it was pushing the image over the right side of the page. I put the cursor after the graphic title Photo of the Week and entered a (hold down shift when you press enter) and it added a single line break between the two images so they no longer overlap.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 2:38 PM - Response #7

Bless you.... Thank you so much. NOW, I am having a problem placing a playlist right above the announcement box. It shoves to the bottom as well as announcement box which widens again. I'm pretty sure I'm placing it in the right place, but I am tired of trying to delete things in the code and redoing over and over. Maybe you can see something in the code that is preventing my playlist being where it is supposed to be. I am placing my cursor after the

. I so appreciate your help. I plan on further tutorials in html code so I don't have to bother you...Thank you, Bonita

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 2:44 PM - Response #8

I looked at your site but do not see a Playlist on the home page.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 2:47 PM - Response #9

I took it off. I will put it back on. Thanks.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 2:52 PM - Response #10

Brad, I put the slideshow on for you to see. What the???

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 3:00 PM - Response #11

The opening div tag size provided by Playlist (before the embed code) was too wide. I just got rid of the size altogether, just leaving

by itself, as a size isn't needed there anyway.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 3:12 PM - Response #12
Pizza_cut.gif

Thank you. I am going to try and remember that for the next time. I wanted to send you a pizza, and thought Kris Thrailkill just taught me how to do an attachment, I have forgotten and need to get a refresherConfused...Later then...Thanks a million. Bonita

Edited 05/04/10 8:52 PM
Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 8:53 PM - Response #13
Pizza_cut.gif

Ok, so I got a refresher course and you now have two pizzas!!! Yay! Thanks again for all your help! Bonita

Edited 05/04/10 10:01 PM
Thursday, May 6, 2010 at 10:45 PM - Response #14

Hi, thanks for all the tips. I too am having a little trouble with announcement box. It was on top of my inputs, now its at the bottom. I would like to move it back to the top but don't see how. Anything I can do to move it? thanks.

Thursday, May 6, 2010 at 11:04 PM - Response #15

You can manage the order of the announcements vs. home page content under Edit Site Pages - choose the Edit button next to Home Page and you'll find the controls for all home page items including the order of the announcements.

Friday, May 7, 2010 at 7:35 PM - Response #16

Awe shuchs...thx.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.