ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

My Sample Announcement of Facebook to Class

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/30/13 01:44 PM Views: 1163 Replies: 13
Monday, September 30, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I have sent email to my Class concerning the upcoming Facebook Class Connections link to our website. Use / Edit as you wish.

Towards the end of October, ClassCreator will release another available link to this website directly from Facebook. I need to know whether the Class of 1961 is interested in this Facebook Link or "not". Hence, I have placed a SURVEY on the website if you would please vote Yes or No. Surveys, of course, can only be completed if you are a registered User of www.AnadarkoHS1961.com. The new SURVEY is located at the very top of your Left Menu Bar.

ClassCreator is completing, and currently testing a special Application that will reside within Facebook. Basically, this application "Class Connection" is a shell of security around the class website. It secures all your information so that even Facebook itself cannot access your Private Information to distribute about the internet.

We will have a Choice that I can activate or NOT Activate to use Facebook. If activated, you will have access the normal method you use now, plus directly from your Facebook Account. If we do NOT activate, nothing will change.

Also, be assured that if the majority of the class votes to activate Facebook access, you as an individual do not have to participate. Your profile remains just as it is now, which is Not Accessible to anyone other than your Classmates. In fact, I have some time ago placed a "Super Security" on your profiles assuring that no internet access can be available to your Profile information at all (just your classmates). Further, even now, your classmates no longer can see your phone number, email address, nor physical address (only City).

There are definite potential benefits to having Facebook access to www.AnadarkoHS1961.com. I have reason to believe that many of your classmates use Facebook, and quite a few probably use Facebook that have NEVER joined your Class Website. Potentially, these "missing" classmates may very well join the website from Facebook when they see the possibilities that all of us already know.

Please complete the simple Yes or No SURVEY on our website soon. I would really appreciate some indication from all of you concerning your interest in Facebook link, which will enable me to select the new preference of YES / NO to establish the link. Remember, if we say no, nothing will change for anyone. If we say yes, you as an individual still are not committed to use Facebook link.

Derrell Pulis, Website Administrator

Edited 09/30/13 1:48 PM
Monday, September 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM - Response #1

I appreciate the sample letter. I noticed you had a link on the website also. Where did you hide it at and how?
I might use your idea to see what response we get. I know our 50 by 50 committee would like to have the Facebook option to help them find 50 class members by our 50th reunion.
What if you get more yes's then no? Majority rules? Do you have a committee that will make the final decision?
Can I have a temporary password to view your 50th events. We are in the process of planning, any ideas can help.

Thanks,
Karen Kelly
www.wichitanorth64.com

Monday, September 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM - Response #2

Derrell this is a great idea. For anyone wanting to do something similar we'll have some helpful information available shortly you can share with your classmates about how the app works. Privacy is a huge issue of course and Derrell I think you covered it well. We'll be covering it even more though. The app privacy features are already in place in the app now but it's important classmates understand just what that means.

Briefly, no classmate's profile will appear on Facebook to anyone but fellow classmates from the same class year unless the classmate specifically allows it. One new permission the classmate can offer is the ability for anyone from the same high school to view his or her profile (i.e. classmates from the same class year as well as all class years from the same high school). The third permission is to allow all classmates on Class Connection to view the profile (which is similar to the option we have now of making your profile publicly viewable).

I should point out that if somebody has a profile restricted to classmates only right now on Class Creator, that's the exact permission that will carry over to the app if the Class Administrator opens up the site to Facebook. I.E. no change -- only classmates from the same school and class year can get in.

We'll have much more to say about this shortly. For the moment we're working on 15 critical items that must be completed prior to app launch. Stay tuned.

Monday, September 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM - Response #3

KAREN KELLY wrote:

I appreciate the sample letter. I noticed you had a link on the website also. Where did you hide it at and how?
I might use your idea to see what response we get. I know our 50 by 50 committee would like to have the Facebook option to help them find 50 class members by our 50th reunion.
What if you get more yes's then no? Majority rules? Do you have a committee that will make the final decision?
Can I have a temporary password to view your 50th events. We are in the process of planning, any ideas can help.

Thanks,
Karen Kelly
www.wichitanorth64.com

Hi Karen,

I just launched the visible menu for the Survey, copied the website URL link, then I created in my Home page a short bit to click HERE. Used the Chain for URL to past the link.

Hope that helps. Incidentally, I did a similar thing to copy my original Class email by creating a Gallery and made it actively Live. Launched that, got the link, and again pasted link. After link displayed, I made original Gallery no longer visible/active (to keep the clutter down).

Monday, September 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM - Response #4

Karen, I sent you an email with password to use. Also answered your other questions that I completely missed in responding.

Monday, September 30, 2013 at 4:14 PM - Response #5

Thanks Derrell Well written. Didn't know how to deliver this message, lukewarm on the issue... will add Brad's follow up about the classmate profile..Thanks Brad.

"Briefly no classmate's profile will appear on Facebook to anyone but fellow classmates from the same class year unless the classmate specifically allows it."

We haven't gotten much response from a survey, so I'll try to send this through a multi-thread email at the message center. Our group is divided. The younger ones are in favor and the rests are nay!!!

Monday, September 30, 2013 at 4:30 PM - Response #6

Thelma Alcordo wrote:

Thanks Derrell Well written. Didn't know how to deliver this message, lukewarm on the issue... will add Brad's follow up about the classmate profile..Thanks Brad.

"Briefly no classmate's profile will appear on Facebook to anyone but fellow classmates from the same class year unless the classmate specifically allows it."

We haven't gotten much response from a survey, so I'll try to send this through a multi-thread email at the message center. Our group is divided. The younger ones are in favor and the rests are nay!!!

Actually, I am the older group. Smile I am also not a big fan of Facebook, as I don't really have time to post to what seems like endless friending.

HOWEVER, I know there are many of our classmates that use Facebook, and they have never joined the website. Basically, a lot of my "missing" classmates are perceived to become "findable" on the Facebook APP. For that major reason, I am happy to see the Class Connection Facebook link coming about. I expect good results in finding some missing classmates, at least better than the past (which is pretty close to zip!).

ALSO, and just as important,is your observation of the 'Younger group'. I have observed this trend for the younger ones to use Facebook extensively, and literally they will not go to the direct website. But with Facebook they will!!! This in that context, is the survivability of Class Creator. The younger classes don't feel they need a Class Reunion website, they just meet on Facebook. For Class Creator to keep up the growth of our favorite website developers, they MUST have Facebook capability, and very soon. Facebook has got to become a Class Creator approach both on individual as well as Multiple Year websites.......ASAP. We keep with the times change if to move forward, whether we like it or not.

Edited 09/30/13 4:35 PM
Monday, September 30, 2013 at 5:36 PM - Response #7

Well said Derrell!

One thing I want to stress is even if you do opt to turn on Facebook sharing, this is not a nothing or all decision. You turning on Facebook sharing only allows classmates who want to participate from Facebook to do so. Anyone who doesn't want to do so can simply keep logging into your regular class web site. In fact there's no reason somebody couldn't do both. I suspect most classmates will choose one place or the other, as again it's all the same data. It's just a matter of what door you're walking through to participate. Again though, even if you turn on Facebook, there's no requirement for ANY classmate to use Facebook, or even have a Facebook account at all. You're just opening up one more way for classmates to participate with your class.

Monday, September 30, 2013 at 5:58 PM - Response #8

Brad Switzer wrote:

Well said Derrell!

One thing I want to stress is even if you do opt to turn on Facebook sharing, this is not a nothing or all decision. You turning on Facebook sharing only allows classmates who want to participate from Facebook to do so. Anyone who doesn't want to do so can simply keep logging into your regular class web site. In fact there's no reason somebody couldn't do both. I suspect most classmates will choose one place or the other, as again it's all the same data. It's just a matter of what door you're walking through to participate. Again though, even if you turn on Facebook, there's no requirement for ANY classmate to use Facebook, or even have a Facebook account at all. You're just opening up one more way for classmates to participate with your class.

Actually, I am doing really good so far on my Survey. I am 100% to activate! However, only 2 have responded yet, and one of them is me.............FOFL.

There will be some more tonight.

Monday, September 30, 2013 at 6:00 PM - Response #9

Heh I actually laughed out loud. Smile

Monday, September 30, 2013 at 7:08 PM - Response #10

Thank you Darrell. I'm going to use your sample announcement in an "e-mail the class" letter so as to be sure everyone reads it. I really like the sample--fully explained, yet terse.
Barbara

Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 8:18 PM - Response #11

Derrell Pulis (60) wrote:

Actually, I am doing really good so far on my Survey. I am 100% to activate! However, only 2 have responded yet, and one of them is me.............FOFL.

There will be some more tonight.[/quote]

So funny Derrell! That was going to be my question... how are the survey results? Please keep us posted! And thank you for the great SURVEY TEXT/explanation of Class Connection - Facebook option for our CC sites. Very well written! I may be posting something similar very soon.

Not only do we have "Oklahoma" in common but we have the same issues with avid FB users, they simply will not join our class sites and I know they are there as I found several on FB two years ago when we had our last reunion. But I too, hope they will use the 'door' (Class Connection App) from FB to join our sites.

Thanks again and keep us posted on your survey results!

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 2:29 AM - Response #12

I copied it almos verbatum. Left out one sentence and reminded my class that the point was to hopefully gain more joiners on the website. As such, I got 10 responses out of a possible 32 within 24 hours -- 9 affirmative, 1 negative. This surprised me because my class has been quite apathetic.
Barbara

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 10:18 AM - Response #13

Nice!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.