ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

after a 100+ hours of work

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 08/28/09 02:01 AM Views: 3900 Replies: 24
Friday, August 28, 2009 at 2:01 AM

I started the Hoover79.com website in Dec. 2008 to create interest in our upcoming class reunion. I just came back from the Reunion and I think the website is pretty much complete. I will continue to work on it a little during the years to come. Let me know what you think. My class loves it so I'm not necessarily looking for accolades, I'm looking for some comments so I can tweak it slightly.

I've created a fake classmate so you can log on and see everything. I'll remove the classmate in a few weeks.

name: John Doe
e-mail: admin@hoover79.com
password: 1234

Edited 08/28/09 4:13 PM
Friday, August 28, 2009 at 8:09 AM - Response #1

David I know that you have put in a lot of work in on your site and I understand you wanting feed back. So I will be honest and I hope you don't mind. I didn't sign onto your site as a guest yet I just took a peak for now. I think you need more exciting things on the home page. There was a lot of dead space as you scroll down. Maybe a class picture or something would make it more exciting to view. Also a lot of your classmates profiles are not padlocked. So they can be viewed by anyone who comes across your site. Log out and take a look at the profile list and you can see what I mean.

Edited 08/28/09 8:10 AM
Friday, August 28, 2009 at 10:36 AM - Response #2

I think it looks great. I also have part of my Home Page locked unless signed on so when a classmate looks they will have to register to see everything on the site. Locking profiles is a good suggestion..I do it for all new classmates if they don't. Your slides are nice and love all your school day pic's. I have found the more pictures the better..my class loves them. We have elementary picture's also up and it has been fun to try to remember the names in the picture's. It will be tough without planning a reunion to keep it fresh but there are many things to do. Just try to add something every week or so. You can get idea's by looking at other class site's here on Class Creator. Good job! Smile

Friday, August 28, 2009 at 10:47 AM - Response #3

Thank you. Your comments are just what I'm looking for.

Friday, August 28, 2009 at 11:18 AM - Response #4

Although I definitely support password protecting other pages...I agree that the home page needs a little more too it. I think if I was just website strolling and came across it that I would move on because there's nothing that really stands out. Even if it is a sign or something which can even be put in your announcement area.
I also haven't requested a guest pass but am sure the content you have in there is great.
Glad you had a successful reunion!!

Friday, August 28, 2009 at 4:00 PM - Response #5

You don't need a guess pass. Log on as a classmate. I've created a fake student.

Friday, August 28, 2009 at 4:06 PM - Response #6

The people who are saying the site is kinda dull...
Have you logged on as a classmate?
I've kept all the fun stuff for classmates after they register.

I've created a fake classmate for a few weeks.

Friday, August 28, 2009 at 5:08 PM - Response #7

David,

I like it, good job! The idea of restricting home page content to the degree you have is something I'm going to consider. Heretofore I've only applied this to various pages.

I like what your class did as part of its 30th reunion, dedicating a tree to deceased classmates. Would you mind if we were to copy you? Would you mind if I passed this idea along to others?

Fred Bock

Friday, August 28, 2009 at 5:14 PM - Response #8

Hi.
To "Jazz" up your "Announcements" page, paste this embedded code of a Patsy Cline Spoof by Gail Leach under "source' in a "new" announcement. If you don't like it, you can easily delete it or Inactivate oi. Everything elso on your site looks fine. I can guarantee that over time you will add "Bells & Whistles" to make your site even more exciting. Enjoy! Ralph Posey, http://www.ohs58.net

Friday, August 28, 2009 at 5:19 PM - Response #9

I did see the extras once I typed in the email and pw. I like that old fashion movie slide show.

I still would put something in the announcements. Either a video or a picture from the reunion or something. Other than that...it's swell!!

Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM - Response #10

Yes you can use the Tree Memorial idea. Our class has received a lot of nice comments about it. The granite stone placed in front of it reads:

In Memory of our Friends who are no longer with us.
The Class of 1979

Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 3:03 PM - Response #11

David I finally had the chance to sign on and take a look at your site. Wow what a difference!! That is what I was saying that the home page was missing. It's that first impression.. the WOW factor I felt the home page was missing. You have it once they are signed on. If you can just make some of those things available to those who aren't signed on you might get them to sign on. After I was on the site it took on a personality that off the site I felt was missing. A welcoming personality. Does that make sense? I love the slide shows too! Great job! I especially like the black and white old movie look of the one.

Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 3:08 PM - Response #12

Thanks. I'll think about what I should have on the pre and post homepage.

Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 6:32 PM - Response #13

Looks good, but I do have a warning. Your profiles are not all locked. I had to go in an lock all of ours because of 2 unfortunate things that happened.

ClassCreator discourages us from password protecting profiles. So we must do so instead.

Click the first box --profile visibility
Do not click the second box--address
The third box could be marked by the classmates.

Some people do not easily understand how to do this. So I just did it my self. All 260+

K

Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 7:02 PM - Response #14

Well, for the record, what we discourage is password protecting the Classmate Profiles page, because doing so makes it hard for people to join the site. We don't discourage anyone from restricting their Profiles to only fellow members, that's what the option is there for. Some people love sharing their Profile page with non members, others would never consider anything other than restricting.

By the way Karen Jessica read me something you wrote up yesterday, and I wanted to personally thank you for that. Nice words, thanks very much for the PR. That was really appreciated.

Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 7:04 PM - Response #15

Oh by the way, I have a button here that removes the ability for all members to share their Profiles. Like I said some people enjoy doing so, but this decision is really up to site Admins. If you want I can press the magic button and remove the ability for anyone to ever share their Profile again.

Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 7:13 PM - Response #16

What I meant to say was that CC doesn't encourage password protecting the whole profile thing...not individual profiles. Since people can send others their address, I don't have that box checked.

Is that clear???
If not, just by pass comments. Laughing

Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 11:51 PM - Response #17

Smile

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 7:39 AM - Response #18

Brad I sent you an email asking about the magic button. It must have gotten lost in transit. If we have you push your magic button to secure profiles. Is that all it will do? Or does it secure other things too? I want to keep my memory page open so I don't want those profiles secure. The alumni site request I keep it open so they can update their site.

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 5:34 PM - Response #19

If you sent it over the weekend the support staff won't get the email until Monday. The only thing "super duper privacy" mode does is make it impossible for your Classmates to share their Profiles with anyone other than fellow Classmates. Let me know.

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 10:01 PM - Response #20

Ok Brad sign me up!! I need two sites done. This one and the other is wadsworth-oh-1975. I am administrator on both. Thanks

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 10:10 PM - Response #21

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 at 8:12 PM - Response #22

I like your slide show and simplicity, however I do think adding a little more would hold the interest longer.

Don't go over board like our site, it is at the other end of the spectrum... it's over the top and too much, one poster called it the longest home page he had ever seen!...lol
however, that was the intention, sign 'em up!

Best of Luck!
GBS Class of 1978...
Very Happy

Class Creator = "The Cutting Edge"

Edited 09/01/09 8:15 PM
Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 11:39 PM - Response #23

Thanks for all your input. I'm going to turn off my fake classmate.
'Exclamation'

I've created a fake classmate for a few weeks.

Edited 09/08/09 11:40 PM
Tuesday, June 22, 2010 at 2:10 AM - Response #24

great site! Don't know how you come up with all the great things on your site!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.