ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Sight impaired

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/31/09 08:00 PM Views: 1267 Replies: 5
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 8:00 PM

I have a classmate that is blind. He has a software program called JAWS (job assist with sound ) He says it lets him go on the website and it reads the website to him. Does classcreator work with that program by chance?
Glenda

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 8:58 PM - Response #1

There are various programs for sight imparied Classmates, and what I've heard through the grapevine is our sites seem to work fine with these programs. I can't answer about this specific application, although my guess would be it should read the site fine.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 10:03 PM - Response #2

OK. I'll tell him it should work and I'll let you know if it does.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 10:57 PM - Response #3

One of our biggest successes so far in our reunion effort was locating a classmate who is blind (as a result of a brain aneurysm when he was 29), with no immediate family, and who is living in a nursing home in a rural area. Internet access is not available to residents of the home.

I set up an email account for him that is forwarded to me and he dictated a profile that I typed on website. I sent an email to the class advising them of his circumstance and there has been an outpouring of goodwill. Many emailed him through me. I read him the emails (and profiles) over the phone and he dictated his responses. Others called him directly. It has meant the world to him.

We are currently exploring ways to get him internet access and use of the Jaws screen reader software for the visually impaired. We have a lot of work to do in scoping the situation out but many classmates have indicated that they would donate to support that effort. In part, this is a real classcreator.com success story.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 11:19 PM - Response #4

SUPER.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 8:12 AM - Response #5

I'm not sure if this is true or not, because you know sometimes people have a tendency to inflate things, but I was told that program was about $1200. I'm going to talk to my classmate this evening and let him know the program should work, and try to help him get registered. I will find out how well it works and see if his response is well. When I find out I'll make sure to post the results on here.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.