ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Passwords and page lockup didn't stick

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/08/13 12:59 AM Views: 817 Replies: 3
Monday, July 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM

We wanted to set up a system password and block some of the pages from general public view, so we entered a system password and saved it.

We then went to edit link on the pages we wished to lock and clicked on the password box. The page then showed a padlock. Good so far.

When I left the Edit Site Pages page and came back, the password was gone along with the padlocks on the pages we locked up.

? What did we do wrong?

Thanks

Monday, July 8, 2013 at 5:37 AM - Response #1

Are you talking about the Profile page? That's the only page with padlocks (I think?). Once you log in, the padlocks don't show up. I agree with you that they should "stick" out even when one is logged in.

FWIW, I suggest you remove the direct email links on the committee page or lock the page - recommended. Bots will harvest that page for spamIdea

(Edit: Ok, I woke up and realized you meant you came back to where you edit the links again - duh)

Edited 07/08/13 11:30 AM
Monday, July 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM - Response #2

When I view your EDIT SITE PAGES, scroll down, then click the CHANGE SYSTEM PASSWORD button, I can see your system password. Are you not seeing this?

Monday, July 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM - Response #3

While the two above are very knowledgeable, I have a question but first let me see if I understand what you want to do.

1) You want "block some of the pages from general public view".

- You do that simply by EDIT LINK and check the Password Protected box. This allows the page to be seen ONLY by members who are logged into the site. No search engines or visitors to your site will be able to view them. Go to my class site MCHS1970.com or alumni site McHenryAlumni.com (links below). Click on In Memory. What you see is the page everyone who is not logged into your site will see.

2) The system password does not block pages. I'm not sure you see it that way but am adding it just in case.

3) And then I read your post again. You wrote, "When I left the Edit Site Pages page and came back, the password was gone along with the padlocks on the pages we locked up."

My guess is you were logged in. You need to log out to view your site as a visitor.

Might #3 be the answer?

Edited 07/08/13 1:14 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.