ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Password Reset

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/30/13 08:58 AM Views: 1410 Replies: 9
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I have a classmate who reported that each time he logs into our site (www.hhs64.com) the site requires him to reset his password. Is there a way he can avoid this? Has anyone else had this problem?

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 at 3:12 PM - Response #1

I suspect that he has saved an old version of the password in the Browser Auto-Complete function. If this is an old (outdated) password that is saved, the browser would likely ask if he wants to update his saved password setting. That is the only thing that comes to mind for this possible issue.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 at 3:17 PM - Response #2

As reported, that doesn't sound likely, but... sometimes it's not easy to figure out what's really being reported.

I'd guess that he may have checked "Keep Me Logged In" but his browser is set to clear cookies on exit. Or he runs a utility like CCleaner which cleans cookies for him.

I think I'd ask him to step me through exactly what happens when he logs out (but doesn't close his browser window), then logs back in with his email address and password.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 at 3:33 PM - Response #3

" I'd guess that he may have checked "Keep Me Logged In" but his browser is set to clear cookies on exit." -- Ah, another possible reason.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 at 6:39 PM - Response #4

One more translation of the problem as reported... Could this be the result of bouncebacks? I'd think that Charles would have seen that though.

And there is a problem in the "Bugs" forum reporting that that some joined and previously active users have no password in their details for some reason.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM - Response #5

I am confused on this... does not the CC server remember the classmates Password? So it would not have anything to do with the browser cache, right?

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 at 11:50 PM - Response #6

Marla, Yes. The CC server/database knows what each member's password is. When you enter your email address, it knows who you are and matches the password you enter with the password stored in the database.

But you can set your browser to remember passwords for your choice of sites which require one, which lets the browser fill it in for you as you log in. That no longer works if the browser's password cache is cleared.

And you can click on Keep Me Logged In which sets a cookie on your computer so that when you go to the web site, it can read the cookie, know it's you, and you don't have to log in. If the browser is set to clear cookies on exit, or you run a utility program which clears out cookies, that won't work.

In this case, we don't know for sure yet what "requires him to reset his password every time he logs in" is really trying to describe.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM - Response #7

Yes, John, thanks. I really do "get it". Until Charles posts again, I guess I am leaning with Scott's first reply on this thread. It is probably the browser that is asking if he wants to "reset" his password... meaning to save the one he just entered to log in, as it probably differs from one previously saved in the browser and he just needs to click yes, to update the browser's ability to automatically use the latest password. Or, like you mentioned, he's got his browser set to clear the cookies, and therefore, it's like a NEW password for the browser every time. And not a re-setting of the password with CC, which is where I was erroring in my thoughts.. Thanks again... and I will check up on this one for updates. Smile

Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 12:28 AM - Response #8

I liked Scott's theory too, except I would have thought that somewhere along the line the member would have clicked on "yes" and the problem would have been solved. Guess we'll wait and see...

Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 1:36 PM - Response #9

Trivia details. Don't know about all browsers but for FF you don't have to check "remember me" so long as you don't exit the browser. Just close the page and you can come back without logging in again. I think this works the same for all browsers.

I also clear all cookies on exiting FF, so if I restart FF, then I have to log in again. However, it fills in my name and PW and does not ask me for an update to the PW.

I leave FF mostly open 24/7 (since I use webmail), but I do close it once a week or so to collect memory garbageCool

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.