ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Password options

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/13/08 08:54 PM Views: 1297 Replies: 3
Saturday, September 13, 2008 at 8:54 PM

I am not entirely clear on some aspects of password options. Specifically, if "password" is checked on Edit Site Pages, "Home Page", what does that mean? I had it checked to keep the home page from being edited except by admin. Over the past couple days with the log in trouble I was having you guys unchecked it and now I am thinking that a person cannot even get to the home page if password is checked? Is that correct? And if so is the home page still protected from making changes?

Forgive my slowness on this but it wasn't clear to me.

Greg

Saturday, September 13, 2008 at 8:57 PM - Response #1

The password being checked has nothing to do with who can access the page(s) for editing - only the ADMIN can do that no matter what you check!

The password is for who can access any of those pages. In other words, if you password protect the home page no one can access that page unless they have the password.

Saturday, September 13, 2008 at 9:12 PM - Response #2

Thank you. That makes sense.

Now to confuse things further, I had the Message Forum checked for password and a person who signed up was able to leave a message. So is it that they can do that because they have completed their profile? If so, and if only persons who have a profile can navigate the site then what is "password" for on Message Forum?

Again, forgive the slowness.

Greg

Saturday, September 13, 2008 at 9:28 PM - Response #3

Same thing. Anybody who joins your site can see all password protected pages. So if you password protected your forums page, and then a Classmate joins your site, that Classmate can now participate in your forums regardless of the fact that you've password protected it.

What password protecting your forums does is two things:

1) It stops non Classmates (i.e. the public) from viewing your forums page at all. It keeps that page private for viewing by your Classmates only.

2) It stops search engines from indexing your Forums page. That way nothing any Classmates write ever gets picked up by Google, Yahoo, etc.

Edited 09/13/08 9:29 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.