ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

What is the average cost of 20 year tickets?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/26/08 01:21 AM Views: 14287 Replies: 31
Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 1:21 AM

Hello fellow administrators! My name is Teresa Bayly, from Foss High School Class of 89, and I have to know what have been the averages of ticket costs for a 20 year reunion? My committee have planned a very nice 3 day event, and one of my members is always asking on how to lower the ticket prices. Everytime I have communicated with her, I explain the breakdown of the costs per person to pay for the expenses, and it is always overwhelming for her. I have been a planner for banks and social events, and to me it is just a normal cost. So, if you can just let me know what your tickets sold. I will be researching other sites too to get an idea of their costs. thank you so much for your assistance. By the way, the current costs of our tickets are $250, which include: one T-shirt and tote bag, memory book, raffle ticket, all food and gift bags, for the two days. The first evening is mixers. Unfortunately, yet, I have not included the room and board for two nights. Still negotiating a deal. But, we will be offering a six month payment plan, so that they will not have to pay all upfront. So, am I being reasonable?

Thanks,
Teresa "Rock" Bayly

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 2:05 AM - Response #1

I really don't know what to say but Shocked When I read $250 I just had to gasp. Here I am trying to crunch numbers with my classmates thinking that $58.00 is too high and was able to lower the price to $48.00 per ticket for a 3 day event. I have a very nice weekend planned too.

For the Friday night pre-reunion party we have an exclusive party for our class at our venue with hosted hors d'oeuvres a no host bar and raffles as well as some of our classmates who will be the live band and one who will be the DJ.

For the evening of the reunion we have a cocktail hour with hor d'oeuvres, a DJ, dance floor, photographer, photo booth with unlimited photos, a complete 5 course sit down dinner with wine and dessert included. We will be doing raffles, drawings and also giving each classmate a copy of the DVD that will be played at the reunion as well as a memory book/directory. There will be awards given out and many other fun things.

For the Sunday event we have planned a family day in the park where classmates can bring their kids. We have reserved a pavilion that has full kitchen and a private bathroom.

Now I am very good at negotiating prices so I know I have a very good price set for my class. I don't think that anyone else could do this for this price or even come close but I do think that you are possibly over doing a bit and I can see how some might think it is unreasonable.

Maybe you could set a price to cover the basic expenses like the venue, food, decorations, DJ, and one or two "extras" then all of the other extras you can offer as an option for the classmates to purchase on their own if they would like?

Things like the memory books, tote bags, raffle tickets can all be sold at a set price instead of including those in the up front ticket price. Many classmates could care less about these items and you will end up having very few that will attend the reunion if you set your price that high.

Tracy

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 2:33 AM - Response #2

Several questions:
How large is your class?
How much are you spending on the venues?
What are you getting for free?
How much are printing costs for your memory/photo book?
How much per person is food?
How much is the photographer?
How much is the DJ?

For one venue, we have to pay 3200 for the room, plus pay for food at an average of $50 per person notwithstanding taxes, 18% gratuity and 3.5% mark up to cover additional late comers, which includes plated dinner service of salad, rolls, main entree, and dessert, (which is less than a buffet). Additionally, the dance floor set up cost, is $7.50 per 3x3. The DJ costs $600 full set up, with A/V. The gift bags are all donations. The memory books are costing $4200, plus $4000 for printing. Decorations at $250 for that night, etc. I could go on. and that is just one day! I would like to know how you are averaging $58, when just these costs here do not add up for that in one day! Curious. If I did a $58 ticket up here, we would be eating at Olive Garden, and nothing else... and that is no joke! You must have alot of free stuff given to you to do such a nice event. I am a negotiator, and have planned events up to 10,000 people for weekend events, and I still cannot calculate your $58 per person to cover all expenses for an entire weekend! Please explain what you did in detail. My husbands 20 year reunion was $220 and he did not even blink at my costs. So, if you could clarify how you are doing $58 I would like to know.

Thanks & Peace!
Teresa B

Thanks

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 5:54 AM - Response #3

I know what you are thinking... how trailer is her reunion? I tell you it is VERY VERY upscale. You are going to be wondering for a long time how I got what I did for these prices and I will repeat I am a very good negotiator! If you would like a few hints I could advise you through email.

Our graduation class was over 550 and we expect approximately 300 in attendance for the reunion on the Saturday evening.

The venue is not charging me anything! I only have to pay for the per dinner price the night of the reunion and guaranteed them I would have a minimum of 250 people. The per person price for a full sit down dinner is ONLY $31 per person plus the tax and 18% service charge. That is for a VERY nice dinner at a very nice place. I even got them to reduce their normal $1,500 deposit requirement down to $500.

This is just half of the room we will have. We have the whole venue exclusively to us for the evening.

MENU
(Beef Selection)- Fillet Mignonettes
Tender Fillet Skewered, Seasoned & Grilled Topped w/a Wine Reduction Sauce

(Chicken Selection)- Chicken Piccata - Boneless skinless chicken breast Topped w/a White Wine, Lemon & Caper Sauce

Salad - Spring Mixed Greens w/Candied Walnuts, Crumbled Blue Cheese, Raisins & Vinaigrette Dressing

Roasted Garlic & Sautéed Spinach Mashed Potatoes - Oven Roasted Garlic & Sautéed Spinach, Folded into Tender Mashed Potatoes w/ plenty of Butter & Parmesan Cheese

Mixed Seasonal Vegetables - Fresh Seasonal Vegetables, Buttered & Seasoned

Bread - Ciabatta Rolls & Butter

Beverages - Freshly Brewed Coffee, Iced Water & Iced Tea

Wine - Cabernet & Chardonnay (comped)
(1 bottle of each per table)

No Host Bar

Dessert - Tuxedo Cake (comped)

It also includes a cocktail hour with hors d'oeuvres and a no-host bar. (comped)

They are comping me the Friday night as well complete with hors d'oeuvres for as many of my classmates and guests that would like to attend. The only requirement is a minimum $500.00 bar tab which will not be hard to reach.

The printing costs for a memory book/class directory are $1.94 each for full color. This is because I am not going through a company that makes them. I am going to do all of the prep and formatting work and have my local printer do the printing. This is included in the price of the ticket.

If I choose to have someone do them then the memory books are $16.00 each. This is with a reunion photographer coming and taking photo's at no charge then producing the memory book with those photos, photos we provide as well as the class directory. If the classmates want to order one they can do so the evening of the reunion but I am not including it in the price of the ticket. You may want to look into that option.

The photographer is FREE to me and only charges the guest for the photo's they want to purchase. I have negotiated a discounted pre-order price with the photographer something that she said she has never done before but really likes the way I do business and is going to start implementing it from now on. The pre-order prices for an 8X10 class group portrait is $12 ($15 night of), $15 for a CD of at least 100 candid photo's from the Friday & Saturday events ($20 night of) and $9.00 for couples/group portraits ($12 night of). I will be given a CD of all of the photos taken.

This is a sample of what the class portrait will look like

The DJ for the reunion itself is $700.00 for 4 hours. We do have a classmate who is also going to be the DJ for the 2 hours before that and also on the Friday evening along with 4 other classmates who are going to be the live music/band.

The photo booth for the reunion is $950.00 for 3 hours of unlimited photos of double strips with a CD provided to me of all the photos taken.

The DVD that is being made is not going to cost anything to be made except for the cost of the materials which is less than $1.00 each. I do DVD memory scrapbooks as my business so I will be doing these for my class.

All expenses are covered but to do the extras I am...

We have had several classmates make donations and I am still pounding the pavement to get more donations to pad the funds so that I can give a scholarship to a student at our high school.

I am selling raffle tickets for a jackpot raffle where 50% of all of the sales going into a cash drawing with the winner of that one drawing getting the whole shebang.

I have invited several of the teachers to join us the night of the reunion just for the dinner portion and have asked classmates to sponsor a teachers dinner.

I have asked businesses to sponsor our class and make donations in the form of gift certificates and their products to use for the raffle drawings. In exchange for this they are advertised in the class directory as well as the website.

For the security I am paying zip zero nothing! I have a friend who is going to provide that for me gratis.

There are several other things that I have planned but it is now almost 3am and I must get to bed.

Hope some of this helped. Let me know if there is anything I can do or any advice I can offer in helping you with getting your costs down.

Tracy

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 7:58 AM - Response #4

We as well crunched the numbers on our 30 year which just ended. We crunched because we wanted as many people there as possible. We did a 3 day event: mixer the first night at a very nice hotel conference room. Tour the school event the next morn., 1 hour later a picnic, and then the Saturday night party which was also catered all for 33.00 per person. But I must say we had all the right connections. Our DJ was free for Fri. mixer and we limited ourselves on decorations, but it still looked very nice. At 250.00 I'm afraid you are limiting your turn out. Shop around, our Hotel had a 500.00 deposit for the conference room, and if we booked 10 rooms that money was applied to the food. The rooms booked easy with people from out of town as well as in town. Think TURN OUT, You want everyone there not just the doctors, lawyers and bankers. Ask your classmates, our Dj was free because he worked for a doctor in our class and DJ's on the side, the doc just asked him if he would do it. We gave him an ad spot on our site for 2 months. Good luck!!
class 634 , turn out 137
venue fri 500.00 Sat. n/c
print cost 397.00
Food per person Fri.15.50, Sat.10.00
Photographer 300.00
DJ free
We stayed out of the red!!!!!!!!!! but we did sweat some!!!

Edited 07/26/08 2:41 PM
Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 12:39 PM - Response #5

Teresa Bayly wrote:

Hello fellow administrators! My name is Teresa Bayly, from Foss High School Class of 89, and I have to know what have been the averages of ticket costs for a 20 year reunion? My committee have planned a very nice 3 day event, and one of my members is always asking on how to lower the ticket prices. Everytime I have communicated with her, I explain the breakdown of the costs per person to pay for the expenses, and it is always overwhelming for her. I have been a planner for banks and social events, and to me it is just a normal cost. So, if you can just let me know what your tickets sold. I will be researching other sites too to get an idea of their costs. thank you so much for your assistance. By the way, the current costs of our tickets are $250, which include: one T-shirt and tote bag, memory book, raffle ticket, all food and gift bags, for the two days. The first evening is mixers. Unfortunately, yet, I have not included the room and board for two nights. Still negotiating a deal. But, we will be offering a six month payment plan, so that they will not have to pay all upfront. So, am I being reasonable?

Thanks,
Teresa "Rock" Bayly

I'm with Tracy. I when I saw the cost to attend your reunion. Times are tough right now and at that price, you will have very few people attend your reunion.

Our reunion is a one night event for alumni only. Our city is in a huge economic boom right now (it's in Canada) and it's getting expensive. The top priority for us was to make the ticket price as affordable as possible.

we went with the one night event because the grad only night for our 10 year had triple the turnout of the Saturday dinner banquet and it was much more fun and relaxed.

Our ticket price is $45. This includes the venue ($400), appetizer/finger food buffet, DJ, engraved stein, parking and off hours access to the Ft. Calgary Museum, taxes and gratuity. It is a cash bar and drinks are in the $4 range.

I think in order for you to reduce your costs significantly is to offer all those momentos as an option. If people want them, they can buy them separately.

Honestly, you will have a very low turnout at that cost and people will have the same jawdrop myself and Tracy did. I know you're trying to organize a nice reunion, but it is the cost of the unnecessary momentos that is adding to your ticket price.

Also, what if people only want to attend one event or the other? Have you broken down a price for separate events? Add in hotel and for a spouse to come, airfare for those who must travel and it's easily a $1K weekend. Very few people can afford that.

I created a slideshow on my website using an online program. I purchased the premium membership for $40/year, uploaded all the grad photos and created a slick slideshow including a tribute to our deceased classmates. I then came up with the idea of adding photos from the reunion to it after it's over and offering the DVD for sale on a pre-order basis. I added a poll to the site to see if people would be interested in such a thing. The DVDs can be ordered from the website in bulk, can be played on TV or computer and would be mailed to those who ordered it. It is completely optional.

You asked if you're being reasonable. To be honest, I think the cost is way too much and completely unreasonable. Budgets for corporations are completely different than for a class reunion.

You could probably knock out the tote, memory book and gift bags. Keep the T-shirt as a momento and make the totes/memory book as an option on a pre-order basis. Not everyone will want these things and they will see them as completely unnecessary. Those things will significantly reduce the cost of your reunion.

Edited 07/26/08 12:41 PM
Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 2:40 PM - Response #6

I am planning a 50 yr. reunion in 2010.The cost per ticket is $200 for a 3 day affair. I am trying to renegotiate with the travey/tour agency to bring the price down because of requests from many classmates. I fully understand what you're going through. But mind you it's a 50 year reunion where majority of the attendees want to be entertained in comfort and are not shy of what's in the menu and bar. Just to give you an e.g. of Day 1. A huge musical surprise as they enter the romantic gardens of Fort San Pedro . Cocktails and dinner, wine with the meal, guitarists and singers playing to your requests. A live show halfway through dinner and cap the evening with fireworks display and a memory book to take home. DVD available but not included in ticket price. Also RT transportation to the Fort from meeting point is included and gratuity/taxes.
I am told by the agency if we exceed > 30 attendees the price per ticket will go down. So we're hoping to reach as many classmates.
Thelma

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 2:50 PM - Response #7

Thelma Alcordo wrote:

I am planning a 50 yr. reunion in 2010.The cost per ticket is $200 for a 3 day affair. I am trying to renegotiate with the travey/tour agency to bring the price down because of requests from many classmates. I fully understand what you're going through. But mind you it's a 50 year reunion where majority of the attendees want to be entertained in comfort and are not shy of what's in the menu and bar. Just to give you an e.g. of Day 1. A huge musical surprise as they enter the romantic gardens of Fort San Pedro . Cocktails and dinner, wine with the meal, guitarists and singers playing to your requests. A live show halfway through dinner and cap the evening with fireworks display and a memory book to take home. DVD available but not included in ticket price. Also RT transportation to the Fort from meeting point is included and gratuity/taxes.
I am told by the agency if we exceed > 30 attendees the price per ticket will go down. So we're hoping to reach as many classmates.
Thelma

For a 50 year reunion, that is not too bad. It sounds like a very elegant affair and because of the age of your classmates, most can probably afford that cost.

The OP's reunion is a 10 year. The classmates are 27-28 YO, many SAHMs, most are new in their careers after university trying to get established, starting families, have mortgages and with the economy, things are really tight. Heck, we're in our early 40's and we would be hard pressed to afford one $250 reunion ticket, let alone two plus airfare and hotel or cost of gas to drive if that is a feasible option.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 3:45 PM - Response #8

Ours is the 50th but all of our reunions have been similar. Friday night is informal visiting for which we rent a hotel meeting room. $10 per person covers the room and snacks. We have a cash bar. Afterwards we go to our old pizza hangout - they're keeping the place open for us after hours - pay as you go.

Saturday morning is a walk-about tour of our old high school, maidrites brought in and sodas for lunch, and presentation of gift from our class to the school - cost $6.

Saturday night is the big dinner dance at the Country Club (where we had all our proms)- $30 per person for an elegant island buffet dinner. We had money left from our last reunion, so we are covering the cost of the DJ,decorations, and a laminated placemat of all the schools classmates would have attended (as the keepsake).

On Sunday the Tremont Inn will have a going away breakfast buffet - pay as you go. Also there will be a pay as you go golf event. Each item is priced separately so people can partake in what they want. Someone who does the priced events will pay $46 up front, and additional for pizza, breakfast, and golf. We negotiated a block of rooms at a local hotel for people who need lodging.

We considered a DVD, but the committee voted to put it all on the website. Most people don't even know what they did with previous years CDs, pictures, and telephone/information books.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 4:03 PM - Response #9

Wow, it's awesome to hear the amount of time and creativity that's been put into putting on some awesome reunions at a low cost.

$250 seems really high to me. I can afford it, but I wouldn't attend a reunion for that cost.

I really like the reunion where there is a 'menu' of activities that alumni can choose to participate or not participate in. Let's them control what they can afford a little.

Of course, the negative of something like that is trying to negotiate and reserve things.

Dave

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 6:03 PM - Response #10

I am with Tracy~~ShockedShockedShocked
I am just starting, and ya'll are making me start to stress even more!! You already have all of that set up, and it's over a year away!! I have ideas of where I want to have it, but that is it!! I posted a survey on the site, (which I just set up this week) asking what activities they want to do, bar or no bar (mine was a baptist school, so we have alot of non drinkers!!--I am glad I drink now though--if I didn't, seeing how organized you all are, I would have to start!)and how much they are willing to spend for the weekend. My husband has been telling me not to even consider asking $125 a person, that it was too much! (but so far, that is what everyone is saying they would spend). Tracy--email me with your information PLEASE!! Apparently, I have no idea what I have gotten myself into!!!

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 8:44 PM - Response #11

Herein lies the issue - most of Tracy's event is comped. She can charge $53.00, where her comps come to a savings of $100 or more per person. I am glad for you and your school and how you set up your event.

I have set up a very nice three day event, packed with activities with even inflatables and karoke, for "Alumni Idol" on Sunday. Our menu is a five course meal as well for Saturday. Sunday, all food is covered for the families.

What the real problem is, the hotel that we were working with, would not allow us to reserve the dates of our reunion a year in advance. Plus, they will not allow us to reserve less than 100 rooms with the hotel, in case a larger group needs the space. We had the room at $750, with food minimum of $9100. Because of this, as they are the only hotel with large convention rooms, we had to go to the convention center where there are no rooms attached and now have to pay an eggregious ticket to rent to accomadate 280 people. (140 alumni)

I will take out other items like the cap, and tote. But the class did vote to have most items included. So, I will just keep the book and shirt. What I still would like Tracy to do is tell me what she did to comp the wine! Shoot! that alone on average of $10 a bottle, came out to a $600 difference on her costs.
What I will do is make an executive decision as chair, and change our venue that our class voted on. Where we are trying to have it, just does not have the variety of venues, that I can levy against each other. WE are in Tacoma, but Sea-Tac has more large hotels with banquet rooms that I have relationships with, and just need to move it to that location.

As for donations, we are working on that right now, and my husband who has a relationship with a PRO football team, will get some signatures for me to give away at the event. I think, that with those who are planning the same 20 year event, I will hear what you are saying and just make adjustments accordingly, but that our class would like.

Tracy, even for me who have been a planner for many events, I give kudos to all that you have done. Tell me some of your secrets that you did to get comps like that!

OH and the one who is planning a 50 year reunion, your advice will be sought after as well. I would like to know what knowledge you can give me, with your planning.

Thanks for all the advice. My did I start a conversation. Well I still have a year, but My new changes will have to be implemented in two weeks, so we can start making money for the event. Thanks again!

Teresa

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 9:35 PM - Response #12

Kimberly Long wrote:

I am just starting, and ya'll are making me start to stress even more!! You already have all of that set up, and it's over a year away!! I have ideas of where I want to have it, but that is it!! I posted a survey on the site, (which I just set up this week) asking what activities they want to do, bar or no bar (mine was a baptist school, so we have alot of non drinkers!!--I am glad I drink now though--if I didn't, seeing how organized you all are, I would have to start!)and how much they are willing to spend for the weekend. My husband has been telling me not to even consider asking $125 a person, that it was too much! (but so far, that is what everyone is saying they would spend). Tracy--email me with your information PLEASE!! Apparently, I have no idea what I have gotten myself into!!!

Kimberly, you have alot of time to search out venues and compare prices. All along, the key for us is to make it affordable for as many classmates as possible to attend.

Do you have help for planning the reunion?

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 9:47 PM - Response #13

Teresa Bayly wrote:

Herein lies the issue - most of Tracy's event is comped. She can charge $53.00, where her comps come to a savings of $100 or more per person. I am glad for you and your school and how you set up your event.

I have set up a very nice three day event, packed with activities with even inflatables and karoke, for "Alumni Idol" on Sunday. Our menu is a five course meal as well for Saturday. Sunday, all food is covered for the families.

What the real problem is, the hotel that we were working with, would not allow us to reserve the dates of our reunion a year in advance. Plus, they will not allow us to reserve less than 100 rooms with the hotel, in case a larger group needs the space. We had the room at $750, with food minimum of $9100. Because of this, as they are the only hotel with large convention rooms, we had to go to the convention center where there are no rooms attached and now have to pay an eggregious ticket to rent to accomadate 280 people. (140 alumni)

I will take out other items like the cap, and tote. But the class did vote to have most items included. So, I will just keep the book and shirt. What I still would like Tracy to do is tell me what she did to comp the wine! Shoot! that alone on average of $10 a bottle, came out to a $600 difference on her costs.
What I will do is make an executive decision as chair, and change our venue that our class voted on. Where we are trying to have it, just does not have the variety of venues, that I can levy against each other. WE are in Tacoma, but Sea-Tac has more large hotels with banquet rooms that I have relationships with, and just need to move it to that location.

As for donations, we are working on that right now, and my husband who has a relationship with a PRO football team, will get some signatures for me to give away at the event. I think, that with those who are planning the same 20 year event, I will hear what you are saying and just make adjustments accordingly, but that our class would like.

Tracy, even for me who have been a planner for many events, I give kudos to all that you have done. Tell me some of your secrets that you did to get comps like that!

OH and the one who is planning a 50 year reunion, your advice will be sought after as well. I would like to know what knowledge you can give me, with your planning.

Thanks for all the advice. My did I start a conversation. Well I still have a year, but My new changes will have to be implemented in two weeks, so we can start making money for the event. Thanks again!

Teresa

Our event is not comped whatsoever and we're charging $45 for a private venue. Our 10 year was in a lounge bar where we were promised it to be ours for the night. At about 9 PM, the facility let people in who weren't part of our reunion.

I miscalculated... I thought you were planning a 10 year. Even then, your price is way too high. There is a difference btwn planning corporate events where banks are paying the entire tab and people with families, financial obligations, kids, childcare etc., have limited funds.

Maybe you could cut out the bottles of wine per table and make it non-host for booze? The reason I suggest that is you may have some non-drinkers who wouldn't appreciate paying for a bottle of wine for a table when they're not drinking any. Add to that, you have people who drink more than others. It can leave some hard feelings. The easiest is to have people pay for their own drinks.

Keep in mind you won't have your full class attend, especially at the price you plan to charge. We had a high turnout to our 10 year and that was about 50% of the class for the alumni only event on Friday night - $20 per person, but that was $15 years ago. The saturday banquet to include spouses was 1/3 the attendance and $40 a pop.

Is your hotel not charging you per person and giving you the opp to give final numbers a few days prior to the event?

You may want to simplify things a bit. It sounds like you have alot going on and can give the option for people to pick and choose events to suit their budget.

You might want to make the Sunday Family event much more casual and inexpensive. Maybe a picnic in the park where everyone brings their own meat? That could cut the costs alot by not including food for everyone. That is where the costs inflate considerably.

Also, not everyone will be able to go to all events. Some will only be interested in the grad only night, others will only go to the night to include spouses and some may only want to go to the family event. Give people the option to choose and make the price as reasonable as possible.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 2:00 AM - Response #14

Hello Teresa,
My name is Thelma. I am one of those planning a 50 year reunion . Our original plan was to have an exclusive class reunion. The very first enthusiastic responders were those who left town and moved the farthest. With the rising cost of petrol we thought that if we engage the services of a travel & tour agency we will get the best bang for the dollar. Well my niece runs the agency and I had worked with her before with my college reunion and we had a ball. So a 3-day reunion package was created at the cost of $200 a person. Then two schools of thought surfaced:
a. Those living in Canada, Australia and in the United States prefer a more touristy plan.
b. Classmates who reside locally prefer a simplier reunion and just as much fun.
A lot of verbal volleyball ensued like " I'm not flying from Georgia so I can be at a picnic at some park another one was " I'm coming from Sydney and will need to make baby sitting arrangements for my grandkids, I'm not into pizza ". However their sincerity,interest and curiosity to see classmates since 1960 outweighed the differences of how we should spend time together. I made a decision with 3 other major players to make it inclusive . Besides we were only 43 in our class. So now the invitation extends to our Grade VI classmates and other SCS alumni a few years ahead of us and those after us as long as they graduated before the school name changed. Hopefully this will result to a better turn out. We are also open to donations from individuals or business groups . I'd be glad to share what's in our 3-day package to anyone who's interested. Best of luck to you .
Thelma

Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 6:26 PM - Response #15

I'm not sure if this is okay or not. But....I sell Home and Garden Party in addition to my full time job. I can offer a fundraising campaign to any alumni group that might be interested in making money so that they could cut the cost of per person tickets for the reunion. You all (alumni groups) could sell candles or, dips and/or cookies and set a price for them to make money. (example, if your cost if 3.00 a piece, you could sell for $8.00 a piece) and the profit would go to your group. I am actually planning on implementing this for my reunion this Fall to help off-set the cost, as well as to possibly have a nest egg for our 30 year reunion (in 3 years). Please let me know if you might be interested. It would be an easy way to make money for your group (and can be totally on-line based!).

Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 9:22 PM - Response #16

Cathy Plotnick wrote:

Kimberly Long wrote:

Kimberly, you have alot of time to search out venues and compare prices. All along, the key for us is to make it affordable for as many classmates as possible to attend.

Do you have help for planning the reunion?

I thought that I was getting a head start a year in advance--but when I saw how well planned all these others are, I know better now!! ha
I am suppose to have a few that are going to meet me for dinner and/or drinks to discuss setting up a committee and getting some ideas going.

Monday, July 28, 2008 at 11:01 AM - Response #17

Hi Vicki, I would love to find out more information about the fundraising. My 10-year class reunion is coming up in September and we have very little funds (the classmates have been slow to RSVP and pay their money) so I have been trying to think of ways to make money and QUICKLY!

Any suggestions anyone has would be great. I would love to have stuff comp'ed but not sure how to go about asking.

Monday, July 28, 2008 at 11:15 AM - Response #18

Candice Henderson wrote:

Hi Vicki, I would love to find out more information about the fundraising. My 10-year class reunion is coming up in September and we have very little funds (the classmates have been slow to RSVP and pay their money) so I have been trying to think of ways to make money and QUICKLY!

Any suggestions anyone has would be great. I would love to have stuff comp'ed but not sure how to go about asking.

We have the same problem with getting people to pay. We finally put a notice up on our website. I got the idea from another website. Check my page to see what I posted.

I think people don't realize all the work and financial commitment that goes into a reunion. Our payment deadline is Aug. 15th for the 'early bird' rate and then from Aug. 16th - 29th, the price goes up to $55 from $45. We thought this would get people off their duffs or at least give them incentive to pay in advance.

I will be sending a personal email to every single person reminding them of the payment deadline with the blurb from the website that we would appreciate payment soon because all of us on the committee have money out of pocket.

We are also implementing paypal on our website to hopefully give them incentive to pay faster. WE opted against paypal initially because of the commission and we wanted to keep tix cost as low as possible. Since we're implementing it, we will offer the convenience of paypal, but we added in a cost to cover the paypal commission. If they want that convenience, then they can pay for it.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 4:52 PM - Response #19

Hello Tracy,

In your first email to me, you stated that your event, was free, or that you do not have to pay for it. Second: your wine was comped for the event. Even with the $10 per bottle ticket, you saved $600. Additionally, I have no intention in providing any alcohol for the event. We will have a wine list and they can choose from that as well as, a no-host bar which proceeds pay towards our food and bevarge costs.

Another clarification, I was not a planner for only banks, which had a funds for me to use, but religious conventions, non-profit events, non-profit fundraisers, family reunions, etc. All of which I worked with intimately to make sure that I understood and followed their requests with financial stresses included. Each and everyone were done well, and some under budget, to their delight. So, please be careful on presumptions of what I did and to whom I have obligations to when it comes to finances.
My intention to ask the forum, was to speak with reunion planners on the site, to see what their averages have been over the years, with planning school reunions. NOt just one school reunion, but several and what advice I can learn from them. I even can learn from those who have been anomolies in getting a three day reunion for $58! Everyone has something to give in advice, and I am willing to listen.

Although, with other planners and friends that I have spoken too, they too agree that $58 is amazing and these are directors of Hotel & Catering with large Hotel chains.

For our class I recently changed the venue to SeaTac, and am under negotiations to get the best prices to stay within our first proposed budget of $100 per alumni with a 10% discount on the second. All hotels have 20% gratuity and 9.5% tax in Seattle, WA. So we have to pay more than what your class is paying. Second, we have to guarantee hotel rooms for classmates arriving out of state. Those are included with our quote request. Typically with hotels, when you gurantee a certain amount of rooms, your banquet rooms are free and your food costs are given a discount. Which is what we are finally experiencing with our new venue. Since our class voted on what they would like and what type of events, we did and are still doing our best to get the best prices, and or donations. Many of which our company will donate to make it succesful.

AFter looking at your menu, I realized that you were getting mignonettes, and we are getting fillet mignons. These two beef cuts are not the same in ounces, thus the cost will be different. A fillet mignon in the Seatte NW goes for $40.00. They do not serve beef fillet mignonettes. Even the chicken at its lowest price in a hotel is $32.50, but that does not include the gratuity or tax, which makes this meal per person $42.71. We also have to take into account vegetarian options. Also, with hotels, they will charge the higher amount of the meal choice per person, regardless of how many more of the chicken choices have been selected. NOw that we have the menu, we need to include the fees of surcharges, 2.5% mark up to cover paypal expenses, DJ expenses, Photographey expenses, and other items that the class voted to have included. Alot of other items, like inflatables, food for the picnic, etc. We took into account that if they are already paying to come to three day event, we need to make sure that they will not have to pay for any food, except breakfast. which i am still working out a comp deal for. All horsdouvres are covered for Friday, and Saturday, plus food for the picnic. Rental banquet and lanai reception areas included. A total of $14,000, with 20 room guanrantee. Which is 65.70 per person with all taxes included. That is good for our area.

AS I said earlier, my husbands 20 year reunion was $220 for a three day event. And as I asked around with other schools for 20 year reunions in our state, it is roughly $180 - $240. So, what you may call eggregious, and unreasonable, could be the norm in other areas. It all depends on where you book your venue. Up here it is hotels.

Again, I compliment you on getting such a great price for your three day event. You did a great job.

Thanks for your input.

Teresa

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 6:19 PM - Response #20

Teresa,

I think you mistakenly responded to Tracy when I was the one who mentioned about the difference btwn corporate events (aka Bank) and a HS reunion. I only mentioned that because you stated that you do event planning on a regular basis and that those events run in a very expensive price range.

I do have to ask, why did you ask about reunion costs elsewhere if you didn't want to hear answers or feedback on what you are organizing and the costs associated with it? You stated in your OP that members of your planning committee are asking you to reduce the cost. Is it possible that the price you want to charge is very easy for you to pay, but for the majority of your class it is just too expensive and will prevent them from attending?

It is true that different places have different costs, but if I was part of your graduating class, I wouldn't go because the cost would just be too expensive.

Perhaps you could have a poll on your website asking if classmates would be able to attend at the cost you are projecting. That will give you a good earmark of attendance you can expect or... not.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 8:00 PM - Response #21

My e-mail is vterry81@gmail.com. If you can send me your e-mail, I'll forward you some fundraising information. It is really easy and can make some good money!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 8:34 PM - Response #22

It's candyisit@gmail.com.

Thank you sooo much!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 10:33 PM - Response #23

To Tracy, I apologize. I mistakenly hit the wrong button.

IN response to the email I received, I did take the suggestions and apply them to my costs. I did hear all that was pointed out and I stated that in the email before that I would listen to all advice given.

My experience now, is not in planning it is in wealth strategy, real estate investing, insurance and admin for our company. It has been ten years since I have done planning. So my reason to ask was to get an idea of how much class reunion tickets are running now. After this forum and other research with comrades, I have a good mix of what to charge. I am not insensitive to my classmates finances and am trying my best to incorporate all ideas with what my classmates wish.
We already did our surveys and this is what all have chosen. I did the surveys in march through may 31 of this year. So, all those questions have been asked and now, we are just planning a nice event. My husband who is huge on research just finished reviewing over 100 highschool reunions, and all thier costs are at an average of $80-120 per person for one night! At least I have two nights and three days for my packed event! So, I think we are doing pretty good. However, I do need to speak with the one planner about her fundraiser. I need to get one for our class and create a scholarship fund for a needy graduating classmate at our school.
Thanks again for the input and I apologize if I appear to not want any suggestions, when I do. I just have to pick and choose what I need to utilize for our class.
Thanks,
Teresa

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 11:15 AM - Response #24

Teresa Bayly wrote:

To Tracy, I apologize. I mistakenly hit the wrong button.

IN response to the email I received, I did take the suggestions and apply them to my costs. I did hear all that was pointed out and I stated that in the email before that I would listen to all advice given.

My experience now, is not in planning it is in wealth strategy, real estate investing, insurance and admin for our company. It has been ten years since I have done planning. So my reason to ask was to get an idea of how much class reunion tickets are running now. After this forum and other research with comrades, I have a good mix of what to charge. I am not insensitive to my classmates finances and am trying my best to incorporate all ideas with what my classmates wish.
We already did our surveys and this is what all have chosen. I did the surveys in march through may 31 of this year. So, all those questions have been asked and now, we are just planning a nice event. My husband who is huge on research just finished reviewing over 100 highschool reunions, and all thier costs are at an average of $80-120 per person for one night! At least I have two nights and three days for my packed event! So, I think we are doing pretty good. However, I do need to speak with the one planner about her fundraiser. I need to get one for our class and create a scholarship fund for a needy graduating classmate at our school.
Thanks again for the input and I apologize if I appear to not want any suggestions, when I do. I just have to pick and choose what I need to utilize for our class.
Thanks,
Teresa

That's ok, Teresa. Sometimes posts on the internet can be misinterpreted in the absence of body language and facial expressions.

You may want to offer a price breakdown because not everyone will attend every event. For instance, those without kids probably have no interest in attending the family event on Sunday and I wouldn't be happy about having to pay for something I have no interest in attending. Some may only be able to get one day off work to attend your banquet. If they can only attend one event, then they may decline to go altogether because of the price.

You could charge $X for one event, $Y for the 2nd and $Z for the third and then offer an inclusive package deal for $A. This will give your classmates far more options that fit into everyone's unique budget while giving them the choice to attend events that will be of interest to them.

When you polled your classmates, did you specify the cost breakdown for the events they voted upon? They may not realize the cost of everything together. Sometimes things sound much better on paper and then when the cost is calculated, it becomes a bit more prohibitive. I still think a poll on your website is a good idea. You could ask what they would consider their max price range to pay without saying how much you plan to charge because that would taint the answers of those who cannot afford your projected ticket price. You could have a few options of price ranges, something like 1. $X to Y, 2. $M to N 3. $F to G

We had two events for our 10 year. The first was grads only night on the Friday. Saturday was a banquet to include spouses. The Friday was much more fun and had triple the attendance than the Saturday event. Because of this, we're doing a one night event for grads only. Since it's our 25 year, we figured that we'd have fewer numbers than the 10 year and we couldn't justify the cost or work to organize and coordinate two events. For those who wanted to attend both events, we charged something like $60. Friday grads only was $20, Saturday was $40. That was 15 years ago.

We researched having a banquet and the cost would have been about $60-$80/person depending on the food served. We opted for a more casual evening that would encourage mingling, dancing and catching up, hence the appetizer buffet, party atmosphere.

For everything you're suggesting, you're probably getting a good deal and it really does sound like a lovely weekend of events. However, your price is going to prevent people from coming because they simply will not be able to afford it. I've always said I wouldn't miss my HS reunions for all the tea in china. However, I would have to skip this reunion if it was mine because it just doesn't fit into our budget especially adding in airfare, hotel etc.

That's why you may want to re-think providing food at the family event and make it 'bring your own hot dogs or burgers' kind of thing. Another aspect to consider is making each event optional with separate pricing so classmates have a choice that fits with their unique budget.

My feedback is not to criticize, but to offer suggestions so that you can have the best reunion possible with the highest attendance you can get. This really is a thankless job, people don't realize the work that goes into it and I do fear you will be very disappointed in turnout to your reunion. It will be a shame for you to do all this work only to have a very small number attend.

Friday, August 1, 2008 at 9:54 AM - Response #25

We had a 3 day event at a nice resort in town. Friday night was a mixer with cash bar. Saturday night was dinner, dancing & class photo and the cost to attend was $88. (We're the class of 8Cool Sunday was family day by the pool. People who chose to stay at the resort had the cost of the room as well. Those who didn't stay there only paid $88 + whatever they ordered from the bar Friday night.

Friday, August 1, 2008 at 12:21 PM - Response #26

Wow, Shelly! That sounds like a great event for a reasonable price. I know how expensive the Tucson resorts are.

Did I tell you I miss Tucson? *sigh*

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 at 5:19 PM - Response #27

We just did our 20 year reunion and charged $50 per classmate (including spouse and family).

We had a catered family picnic at a park. The reunion was in a reserved room in a local bar. Buffet food was provided and it was a cash bar. There was also an "informal" bar night on Friday but that was cash bar also.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 3:05 PM - Response #28

Our costs: $125 / Couple - $65 / Single which is for a 3-day event. Or Party Package Fri/Sat Nights only for $55 per person.

Friday Night - Drinks & Mingle: Private party area upstairs. We provide 1 maybe 2 kegs and 2 drink tickets Plus: Appetizers from 7-9. There is some dancing after 10p at the club.

Saturday - Family Event (Price includes 1 child - $8 per extra child): Ranch - pony/horse rides / Farm Games: Sack Race/3-legged Race/Hula Hoop contest and of course Tug of War. Hot Dogs/Chips/Soft Drinks.

Saturday Night - Dinner/Dance/Live Band. We provide keg beer. Cash Bar for mix drinks.
We have a photographer/video.

We asked for donations, which have been AWESOME. $1875. T-Shirts and Banner Donated as well. We are trying to save $1000 to go towards a scholarship for a current high school student.

But ticket sales were sluggish. Our original goal was 120 people total. But last month we had to drop our goal to 85. We are at 83, almost there, just under a month to go-Money is tight without spending that extra $1000, but we think we will just make it.

Friday, August 8, 2008 at 10:07 PM - Response #29

Hi Teresa-

I too am in the process of organizing a 20 year reunion. I love your site, especially the playlist. How did you get that on your website? Trying to spruce up mine.

Thank you-

Paula

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 1:19 AM - Response #30

Ok, so I'm not sure I'll get a response.. b/c how do any of you have time to read all this, plan the reunion and keep up with life?!?!

I'm in the suburbs of Chicago, from a small school with a small class (<200). My goal has been to minimize the cost of admission. We're at $50/person for the dinner event. I'm feeling like a slacker b/c it's just a buffet with chicken, pasta, salad, vegetable, dessert (brownies and cookies), and non-alcoholic beverage service during the meal. CASH BAR. The venue is a restaurant. Goal was to keep it cozy, and inviting. I'm concerned about expensive cash bar, but didn't want to discourage attendance with sticker shock registration fee. I intend to create directory myself (I did it for my 10-yr reunion also), but I want to minimize my own pain and agony. Also hoping to do the DVD running at the reunion dinner and then copies for those interested (purchase separately).
Any words of wisdom on getting things "comped"? I have little/no experience with this. And I've really been flying solo on the planning wtih little time to investigate options.

HELP HELP HELP? (last-minute, eleventh hour cry for help!)

THANKS in advance!!

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 2:30 AM - Response #31

Rachael O'Connor wrote:

Ok, so I'm not sure I'll get a response.. b/c how do any of you have time to read all this, plan the reunion and keep up with life?!?!

I'm in the suburbs of Chicago, from a small school with a small class (<200). My goal has been to minimize the cost of admission. We're at $50/person for the dinner event. I'm feeling like a slacker b/c it's just a buffet with chicken, pasta, salad, vegetable, dessert (brownies and cookies), and non-alcoholic beverage service during the meal. CASH BAR. The venue is a restaurant. Goal was to keep it cozy, and inviting. I'm concerned about expensive cash bar, but didn't want to discourage attendance with sticker shock registration fee. I intend to create directory myself (I did it for my 10-yr reunion also), but I want to minimize my own pain and agony. Also hoping to do the DVD running at the reunion dinner and then copies for those interested (purchase separately).
Any words of wisdom on getting things "comped"? I have little/no experience with this. And I've really been flying solo on the planning wtih little time to investigate options.

HELP HELP HELP? (last-minute, eleventh hour cry for help!)

THANKS in advance!!

Rachel,

I think what you're planning is perfectly acceptable and reasonably priced which encourages people to attend.

Our deadline is this Friday too and suddenly I'm being bombarded with last minute ticket purchases. The gal handling the money is away this week, so I'm sure she will come home to several cheques waiting for her.

What's great about the website is you can keep it going for as long as you want which will make future reunions (if you have them) much easier to organize.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.