ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Paragraph spacing

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/31/09 11:56 AM Views: 1399 Replies: 5
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 11:56 AM

I am having trouble keeping a consistent spacing for paragraphs in my content. I understand the
and

tags but no matter what I do (short of putting everything in tables) it never keeps the formatting I want as an extra line is put in there.

Here is my content
For now please post messages in the Message Forum area (link at top menu bar).

The newest classmates (150 and counting) to sign up on the site are. Several classmates have updated their profiles so keep checking back for the latest news.

But I want it to look like this:
For now please post messages in the Message Forum area (link at top menu bar).

The newest classmates (150 and counting) to sign up on the site are. Several classmates have updated their profiles so keep checking back for the latest news.

Thanks...............Patrick Mattson

Edited 03/31/09 11:56 AM
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 12:31 PM - Response #1

Where are you copying and pasting this code from? Just curious.

There are several things that can cause an unwanted space. If your paragraph starts with a

tag before it, that will inset an extra space.

At the end of your paragarph if you have a closing

tag in there, that can cause a space.

At the end of your paragrah if you have a
tag in there, that can cause a space.

I your case you actually had all 3 of the above. I removed all of the things that would cause extra spaces while I was in there.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 12:53 PM - Response #2

Brad
That's what I needed. Copy from Word and/or Notepad sometimes but a lot of times I edit directly in the editor.

Thanks...........Pat

PS - we need you to show the rest of the business community what true customer service is all about. You guys are the greatest.

Edited 03/31/09 12:54 PM
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 4:10 PM - Response #3

Brad
I see how that works but it seems to default back to the original settings with the

tag before it, a closing

tag and the
tag after I do some editing.

Is there any way to stop that from happening otherwise I will probably use tables.

Thanks...............Pat

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 7:36 PM - Response #4

Thanks. Smile

I think it's because code is in there not generated by our system. For example your code is referencing style code that doesn't even exist. I believe our editor is adding various closing tags due to the "foreign" code it's seeing. If you had just typed those paragraphs directly in the system this wouldn't be happening. Here's your best bets when pasting in code from Word:

1) Select and copy the code in Word, paste it into Notepad, reselect it and recopy it from Notepad, and then paste it into your web site.

2) Use the built-in "paste from Word" button. This is usually pretty good, but in some cases some Word code may still slip through.

Short of stripping out your current code completely, one thing you might want to try is inserting a little tag that will tell our editor to essentially stop adjusting your content. Although I'm not sure how it might behave with the foreign code in there. If you want to try it:

1) Click FAQs above
2) Click Questions About Maintaining Your Site
3) Read Question #18

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 10:32 PM - Response #5

Brad
That makes sense, will try that, Sometimes I wonder if the Microsoft folks just sit in their cubucles and dream up things to make it complicated!

Pat

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.