ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

PDF Not Loading

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/21/13 05:50 PM Views: 917 Replies: 9
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM

We graduated in the dark ages when digital copies of yearbooks weren't possible. So we scanned our yearbook as a 126kb pdf file. Each time I try uploading it, the operation gets to about the 53% mark and starts over again. When it reaches this mark the second time around, it fails altogether. We have plenty of available storage space to accommodate it and I've tried using IE9, Chrome and Firefox without success. Any ideas?

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 5:58 PM - Response #1

Hi Frank and Welcome to the Help Forums....

But I didn't graduate in the dark ages and I'm five years before you! Smile

Several admins have used ISSUU.com. You upload your pages there and then embed the yearbook into a page on your site. I believe what impressed me is that I want the page to turn, as you do with a book... turn the page. Will have to double check that. I have an account (free) on ISSUU.. just have not gotten to it yet. Bummer.

I'm sure someone else will share an idea or three. Then let us know what you do and if possible, I hope we get to take a peek!
Cool

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 6:16 PM - Response #2

On ISSUU.com, I found that with a free subscription, we get 5 free Unlisted Publications. Which means they are only accessible to those with the link. Now I thought we could embed them. Hm.Will see what other have to say. Smile

Edited 08/21/13 6:16 PM
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM - Response #3

Tried ISSUU but my file is too large to use their product. Perhaps the free version limits you? Anyhow, I tried the upload again and at the 56% mark it dropped out but this time gave me a javascript void error. Perhaps another clue as to what the culprit might be?

Thursday, August 22, 2013 at 1:54 PM - Response #4

Frank - please copy paste or screencap the javascript error you receive. I have not been able to recreate the issue, I have seen reports of files that are larger than 10MB failing to upload. If the file is less than 10mb... no problem. I am not sure if this is connected in any way, but at least I would have something to pass along to a programmer to investigate.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 at 3:46 PM - Response #5
Screenshots.docx

Scott - There are three screenshots on the file. The first shows that it's loading (bottom-left). When it gets to about 53-56% complete, it starts all over again. When it reaches this percentage again, it errors out and gives me the javascript eror (second screenshot). The third screenshot shows the size of the file I'm trying to load, which is 126,195 KB.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM - Response #6

Thanks Frank. That gives me at least something to show the programmer. This one might be difficult to pin down though if we cannot duplicate.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 at 6:10 PM - Response #7

Scott-I've now become a quasi-expert at optimizing .pdf docs. I got ours down from 129 KB to about 41, which means I can now use ISSUU (had to be under 100). I've uploaded it and it's in the process of being converted. So I no longer need to upload my .pdf unless you still want your programmers to look into the issue. Thanks very much for your responses!

Thursday, August 22, 2013 at 6:26 PM - Response #8

CC Help Forums... where an admin becomes an expert every day!

:::applauding::: Way to go, Frank!

Thursday, August 22, 2013 at 8:18 PM - Response #9

Thanks Gwen. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.