ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Notifying Classmates this page has been updated

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 04/04/13 01:14 PM Views: 1383 Replies: 14
Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM

At the bottom of each page we edit, there is a default check mark in the box, "Notify Classmates that this page has been updated." Would you please change the default setting to unchecked.

I make frequent word changes to pages, sometimes simply correcting typos. If I forget to uncheck the box, then every change I make will cause an email to be sent to classmates. I would much prefer to check the box for important changes rather than uncheck it each time for the minor ones.

Edited 04/05/13 4:13 PM
Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 1:35 PM - Response #1

You can choose the default setting from the PREFERENCES page

Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM - Response #2

Thanks Kyle. I'm not the root administrator, though I do most of the work. Is it true only the root administrator can access the Preferences page? I don't see it under Admin Functions.

Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 1:54 PM - Response #3

As of now, yes. However I can set this preference for you. It's already done. Smile

Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 2:38 PM - Response #4

Thanks Scott. I appreciate your quick response.

Friday, April 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM - Response #5

I had my root administrator go in and check the "unchecked" option so that notices would not go out unless I manually checked the box to send out such notices.

This morning, I was playing around with creating a new link, not to post, but as a learning experience. As I saved my work, I noticed that there was not a box to check for sending out notices, so I figured I was safe, given the box that my root checked on the Preferences page required me to manually check the box and there was no box to check. Most pages have three boxes at the bottom, but the new link page only has one and it is not the notify classmates box.

To my surprise, when I later checked my e-mail, there were three message waiting for me that there had been pages added or updated, with a link to the page. The link I was using was never active.

Did I do something wrong or is this a bug in the system?

Jim

Friday, April 5, 2013 at 2:44 PM - Response #6

Thanks Jim. I will test this on my test site.

Saturday, April 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM - Response #7

It's a nice feature, thank you. But, did I somehow overlook an announcement to warn of this new feature? It would be especially helpful to know BEFOREHAND that one can change the default setting under Preferences. I made several minor edits yesterday before I realized this feature was implemented, saving the page several times... So, now I'm curious: did an "update" notification get sent EACH time I saved my changes? How embarrassing, if so. Embarassed

P.S. I do realize that that is what the "Save and Continue Editing" button is for, but sometimes--especially when I'm only tweaking the page--I don't think to use that save option. I generally use the "Save and Continue Editing" option when I'm making major edits.

Edited 04/06/13 4:24 PM
Saturday, April 6, 2013 at 7:19 PM - Response #8

No we wait 15 minutes before sending out the notification for cases where people are making multiple updates. This feature has actually be in place for a very long time (about a year or so maybe). You could toggle it on or off. And of course as you pointed out, you can now set your own default for whether you want notices to go out automatically or whether you want to manually check the box. In either scenario you always have the option of changing the default PRIOR to clicking the save button (and thus releasing the notification 15 minutes later if that's turned on).

What we did a poor job of previously was making it clear exactly what was going on here. I.E. under each page Admins really needed to know EXACTLY how many people were subscribed to receive updates. You need to understand that if you have the box checked and you then press the save button, 79 (or whatever the # is) Classmates are going to be notified the page has been updated.

Hopefully:

1) The new setup is far clearer
2) The toggle is clearer
3) The default on/off will make everyone happy
4) The # of subscribers receiving the updates is clear

It may only be becoming clear to you now how all of this works because we redid the whole feature more clearly in general. Honestly it really wasn't well implemented previously and I'm sure that lead to confusion for many.

Saturday, April 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM - Response #9

Thank you, Brad. I'm relieved by that 15 minute window! (Whew)

Honestly this only became clear when I received the update notification email, myself. I had not received any previously -- except regarding new forum posts. But I also agree that these new notify changes are more clear, now that I know what to look for.

I personally feel it might be better if the default is NOT to auto-send the update notifications -- at least for us seasoned admins, because we often make changes by rote and don't always see the new features right away. Whereas your "New Features" emails serve as triggers to go seek & learn about the new goodies!

Sorry to be complain-y! Overall I am very pleased with the new Notify functionality. Thank you! Very Happy

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM - Response #10

So, I just received another notification for my page edits today. The subject line of the email says, "New event and Page updates" and the body lists:

"A new reunion or event is being planned"

...and...

"Pages on the site have been added or updated"

But I did not add/plan a "new reunion or event" -- I only edited my existing reunion or event. Therefore, I would like to request a slight edit to the wording in the email notification so as not to mislead my classmates into thinking there is another event planned.

How about "A reunion or event was added or updated"? Or something to that effect. I think the subject line is fine, however, as it can be construed to mean only "new updates"...

Thanks!

Edited 04/09/13 1:38 PM
Tuesday, April 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM - Response #11

I shall pass this along.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM - Response #12

Thank you!

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 at 4:53 PM - Response #13

Terry,

The programmer made a change. He updated the header inside the email to read "A reunion or event was added or updated", and the subject line to read "Updated event info". However, it was noted that your site has the notification checkbox OFF by default, and therefore the notification would have only been sent if you or another admin, updated that page AND checked the Notify Classmates box at the bottom. If you find this not to be the case and you are still seeing that the notifications are being sent, please let me know.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 at 6:11 PM - Response #14

Thanks! And no problem; I did indeed check the box to manually send the notification. It did what it was supposed to do! Very Happy

Cheers.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.