ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

identifying color of text

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/11/12 03:11 PM Views: 1313 Replies: 4
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Is there anyway to identify the current color of some text, perhaps obtaining the 6 character hex code or something similar? I'd like to match the color used on two lines of text but I'm continuing to guess wrong. There should be a way (I would think) to do this with the new(ish) editor, or do I have to scour the source HTML code?

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 3:38 PM - Response #1

There is a program included with the MAC OS called "Digital Color Meter" which is exactly what you're looking for. Try searching your computer for it.

You may then find this link useful: http://osxdaily.com/2011/12/06/get-hexad...-meter-in-os-x-lion/

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM - Response #2

Ok This helps - I've discovered that the purple that's on the left side of our page has the hex codes 5A 32 9B. So now I highlighted the text I want to display in that exact color. I clicked on the Text Color icon, then on more and I see the Select Color. Over on the right is a box where I tried typing in those six characters, but the text won't change. I guess I don't understand why the Select Color panel won't display the hex code for the color of text being selected and then allow you to replicate that elsewhere. I guess this is beyond me - it's hard for me to believe that others wouldn't like the same capability to easily replicate an exact color instead of doing the labor and time intensive guess and check routine. Sorry that I'm asking so much.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM - Response #3

The color selector requires the inclusion of a pound sign (#) at the beginning of the box where you typed in the hex code, and then it will work as expected.

As for the color selector not displaying the code for a color already selected, that is not something we can change. The editor, including the color selector, is a third-party product we have licensed for use on our system. However, you can always look at the source view and locate the exact text you're color-matching, and the hex code for that color will be in one of the tags preceding it. It will look something like this: span style="color:#800080;"

The tag with that code in it closest before the text you're matching will be the one properly indicating the display color of the text.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM - Response #4

Thank you - both of your suggestions here help a lot!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.