ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Post Numbers

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 07/07/13 11:26 PM Views: 1295 Replies: 13
Sunday, July 7, 2013 at 11:26 PM

This suggestion is not for our class sites, but for these Class Creator Forums.

It would be helpful if each post in a topic were numbered so that we could easily find, or refer to it. This would be similar to the numbered posts in the Message Forums on our class sites.

Jim

Monday, July 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM - Response #1

Jim,

They are numbered, but it is not obvious. The URL of the post you are viewing contains the number of the post you are viewing in the "threadid" field of the URL. So this forum post is numbered http://forums.classcreator.com/messages....4ED-AC441B04F28A211D

If referring to a specific MESSAGE, there is also a "messageid" field in the URL if it is not the thread topic.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM - Response #2

Kyle,

Thank you for responding, but the existing numbering system is not useful to me.

Jim

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM - Response #3

Jim, I'm guessing you'd like to be able to refer to some past post/topic? The 'numbers' are a bit too much to attempt to copy, but the following might work for you.

If you Bookmark (or copy and paste the URL Kyle mentioned above) in a specific area you can get a link reference to a post. I do that for the sometimes 'not obvious' workings of CCShocked

If you get "new post" messages in your email, then that message points directly to a specific post so you don't have to navigate all the posts.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 2:55 PM - Response #4

Thanks Jack for your suggestion, but it is not worth the effort to me.

The reason I suggested simple numbers is that I sometimes post a message on a long thread and make reference to one of the messages posted earlier in the thread. It would be so much more convenient to refer to that message by number rather than counting down and calling it the tenth message. Then others would have to count down to find it. I thought adding numbers like in the class website’s Message Forum would be simple.

With everything else on their plate, I was hoping that CC would at least put this on the list of future revisions.

Jim

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM - Response #5

That was the other choice - wasn't sureConfused. For the long threads makes sense. It does get hard sometimes to give clear backward references.

What I'd also like is when one replies to a specific post (like me to you) that there is a backwards reference in THIS post to the post I replied to (when intervening posts are there that helps a lot). That's been very common in forum software for at least 15 years.

That's relatively easy to codeIdea But so is numbering the posts 1,2,3.. (heck it already has to generate a post reference number - just make it a 1 digit after the huge number). I think someone mentioned they were going to redo this software -someday- when things get caught up (that's what I tell my wife anyway).

Most of the time, current software works well enough - so not really complainingCool

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 5:58 PM - Response #6

it seems to me that if you want to refer back to a post, the DATE field would work fine. 07/09/13 3:21 PM
(Just trying to keep it simple)

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM - Response #7

Not really simpler than a simple sequential number. It's much simpler to find post 12 (like almost instantaneous) than having to read each date/time Kyle.

Exactly the point - just trying to keep is as simple -as possible-.Twisted Evil

I'd put the backward post reference ahead of that though.

P.S. This is in response to the post dated Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM Very HappyVery Happy

Edited 07/09/13 7:14 PM
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 at 12:32 AM - Response #8

Oh, I like the backward post here in the forums.

Added: That is if you mean the last post is at the top of the page when we enter a thread.

Sssshhh. Who wrote that? Cool

Edited 07/10/13 12:34 AM
Monday, July 15, 2013 at 12:17 AM - Response #9

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

Not really simpler than a simple sequential number. It's much simpler to find post 12 (like almost instantaneous) than having to read each date/time Kyle.

Exactly the point - just trying to keep is as simple -as possible-.Twisted Evil

I'd put the backward post reference ahead of that though.

P.S. This is in response to the post dated Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM Very HappyVery Happy

Using the date and time can be a little confusing because it varies by time zone. For example, on another thread someone referred to an earlier post at 1:22pm. They were on the east coast. Since I'm on the west coast I had to find the 10:22am post. Not a big deal but a sequential number is invariable and easier to find.

Monday, August 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM - Response #10

I don't know when it happened, but this morning I noticed that all responses are now numbered, apparently going back to all previous threads. Thanks to the CC staff for making this improvement. It helps a lot.

Jim

Monday, August 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM - Response #11

Well look at that! See... admins requests are heard right here in the Help Forums. Now why go anywhere else?
Smile

Jim Valentine wrote:

I don't know when it happened, but this morning I noticed that all responses are now numbered, apparently going back to all previous threads. Thanks to the CC staff for making this improvement. It helps a lot.

Jim

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 at 8:00 AM - Response #12

You're welcome, but I can't really take the credit, but I will.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM - Response #13

Go Kyle! Laughing

Kyle Erickson wrote:

You're welcome, but I can't really take the credit, but I will.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.