ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Getting list of contact information from site

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/25/08 10:11 AM Views: 1665 Replies: 12
Friday, July 25, 2008 at 10:11 AM

We're about to send out invitations for our 20 year reunion. We'll be sending an e-mail to everyone in the class, from this site. We also want to send invitations by regular mail, however. Many people who have joined the site have updated their addresses, so we want to send invitations to these updated addresses. Is there an easy way I can get a list of the addresses that are currently on our site? I know I can look at the "details" for each classmate and can see the addresses one by one. I'm wondering if there's a way to simply generate a list of the contact information for everyone.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Rich

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 11:37 AM - Response #1

1) Click on Manage Classmates
2) Click on the second button for the Excel area
3) Click the Download Classmates button
4) Open your Class List in Excel
5) Print labels or run a mail merge with MS Word, etc.

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 4:01 PM - Response #2

Thanks Brad. That's so easy I don't know how I missed it!!

Rich

Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 10:05 PM - Response #3

I don't have a second button that says excel. When I click on Download Classmates it downloads a htm.
Tom lakeview1959

Friday, March 27, 2009 at 12:32 AM - Response #4

We changed the system a little bit from these earlier posts to make it even easier.

1) Click Manage Classmates
2) Click the Download Classmates button
3) Save your file to your hard drive. When you do, you'll see that it's a true .xls file, not an .html file
4) Open in Excel

Friday, March 27, 2009 at 10:39 AM - Response #5
class_admin_members.htm

I'm really confused. Attached is the file that downloads when I click Download Classmates.
Tom lakeview1959

Friday, March 27, 2009 at 11:07 AM - Response #6

That's actually a copy of the entire page itself. You need to click right on the "Download Classmates" button then save the resulting xls file to your computer, then open it up in Excel.

I have a feeling something strange is happening with whatever web browser you're using. Can you do me a favor and try the same procedure with any other browser? For instance if you are using the America Online browser, please try using Internet Explorer instead. If you are using Internet Explorer please try it in Firefox. Also, please make sure the version of any browser you are using is the most up to date version.

Friday, March 27, 2009 at 11:38 AM - Response #7

I use MSN Explorer. When I switch to IE 7 it works fine. I thought that MSN Explorer runs on top of IE but apparently not completely.

Now that I have downloaded the Excel file, can I add columns for secord address, phone number, emails, etc. and then upload the same file and have it show up in the classmate profile?

Sorry, I'm new and haven't read all the FAQs.

Thanks, Tom

Friday, March 27, 2009 at 11:46 AM - Response #8

No you can not. If you want those extra fields in your Classmate Profiles, you need to create them using your Profile Generator.

Let me make something very clear here. Your Class List download contains all kinds of things that are not included on the standard Classmate upload template. You can NOT alter your downloaded file and then reupload it. The two files are completely different. If you want to add more Classmate names to your site, you need to use the original upload template only again, and then batch in the names.

Friday, March 27, 2009 at 11:53 AM - Response #9

Can I add columns to the original upload template? If so, will that info show up in the classmate's profile?

Friday, March 27, 2009 at 1:04 PM - Response #10

Nope! The primary purpose of the upload template is to get your Classmates' names and primary contact details into the system. It wouldn't hurt anything if you added more columns to the upload template, but our upload parser would simply ignore them.

Friday, March 27, 2009 at 1:47 PM - Response #11

Just want to be clear. Are you saying that there is no way to batch upload second address, phone, or email at this time?

Friday, March 27, 2009 at 3:54 PM - Response #12

That's correct. There are no second address, second phone, or second email fields. You can add all of those things using your Profile Generator, but anything you add to your own site is a custom element that wouldn't have any interaction with either the csv upload or the xls download.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.