ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Donations to Support the Site?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/28/10 06:30 PM Views: 2511 Replies: 14
Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Has anyone used Donations to support annual maintenance of their website? I just started site and paid for it myself. I have indicated there is no Fee to use the site.

However, during our Reunion this past week, several ask how they could go about 'donating' to cover my costs for the site. I still don't want any fees, but thought I might accept donations as they feel they could afford. Any excess, if any, would be turned over to the next Reunion for costs there.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 6:53 PM - Response #1

After getting our site started, several classmates offered to help support it after the reunion last October. I sent a mass email and said for a $9.00 check, anyone could support a month. We show their picture and indicate who is supporting the current month. See my site. Some have sent donations for 1, 2 and 3 months and more. It's been a year now, and we have donations through year-end and I'm sure they will continue to flow in. We haven't used the Donation icon.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 7:02 PM - Response #2

That's a great idea. Our reunion is coming up this week end, and the future of the web site will depend on the feedback I receive. So far, it has been very positive. I also funded the first year - willingly. I think some ownership of the site goes along with the contributions.

Love your web site. Thanks for sharing.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 7:04 PM - Response #3

Joan Kanner wrote:

After getting our site started, several classmates offered to help support it after the reunion last October. I sent a mass email and said for a $9.00 check, anyone could support a month. We show their picture and indicate who is supporting the current month. See my site. Some have sent donations for 1, 2 and 3 months and more. It's been a year now, and we have donations through year-end and I'm sure they will continue to flow in. We haven't used the Donation icon.

Thank you! I like that approach, you give them an idea of what the costs are. I have been very reluctant to have a Registration Fee, as I made a point of no costs to them. BUT, now that the Reunion presenter suggested Donations, I think that would be okay. I just want them to know there is no pressure to donate.

Edited 09/28/10 7:07 PM
Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 7:07 PM - Response #4

Someone previously suggested adding an item to purchase along with the reunion ticket that was a donation. I set the cost of ours at $5 and some people added 1 item (i.e., $5) to their purchase while others added up to 20 ($100). WOW! I was shocked at how well it went over. We used the donations to keep the website until the next reunion and have a nest egg for next time. I did a page on our website listing the names of donees (not amount) and also listed them in the program.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 7:33 PM - Response #5

We held our reunion in July of this year and the reunion committee decided to ask for donations to help support the website. The website was such a huge success that our classmates donated enough for a five year renewal. We just made the announcement at the beginning of the night and had a jar on the registration table and asked them to donate any amount that they could and they did and the amount far exceeded our expectations.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 8:28 PM - Response #6

I have been online for a year and a half. I asked for $10 donations the first year and received barely enough to cover the cost. This year, I set the goal at the 10 year prepaid level, and pointed out what a great deal it is. I set up a tab that allowed classmates to see the cost options and how we were progressing. In addition to the donation tab, I posted a blurb on the Homepage that asked for donations and included animated cheerleaders and a "Go Bearcats!" I did not identify who donated, I only posted a running tally. I'm happy to say that we just hit the 10 year level, 4 weeks ahead of the due date! Three classmates each donated more than enough for a full year. Others donated more than once.

btw: Our website is completely independent from the reunion committee ..lol...don't ask! Rolling Eyes The committee collects funds for reunion events separately.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 11:49 PM - Response #7

In the midst of registration and just two months from our reunion, I found Class Creator with all the bells and whistles I had wanted for our site. Immediately, I began moving our site here. When I was satisfied, I announced the possible move with a 7-day trial to the class. On the home page, I used the DONATE button. Within three days, I had enough to pay for one year and renew our domain for a year. Let me repeat... within three days enough donations came in using the donate button! (That is less PayPal fees.) I was thrilled. My cousin and reunion chair liked it so much he pitched in next and we are looking to change our subscription to many more years.

We are at 150 classmates signed in to-date. If they each gave $5, we would have the 10 year subscription and more. I may share that with the class after reunion reports, photos and such are online.

As with Battle Creek in MI, our site is independent from the reunion. However, after I suggested mini reunions and a 59 and counting birthday celebration while holding the microphone at the reunion on Saturday, my cousin said I was in charge. LOL That remains to be seen. If I do take it all on, I will insist that all will be separate and I will not be handling any type of reunion funds.

Edited 09/28/10 11:52 PM
Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 2:10 AM - Response #8

To clarify my statement above regarding being independent from the reunion committee...

1) We did not have a committee this year. Don't ask. In the end, we had one person who booked and planned the dinner; then I was given the task of 'lead planner' - adding two free events; and last minute a few came together to decorate for the dinner. Future events will have a committee or at least 'teams' if the word committee scares them away.

2) Our online registrations began on the old site with payment through PayPal. It continued here until I received the banking numbers (after the third request). Upon receiving the banking numbers, I removed the PayPal buttons - switching to the payment thru CC. It may be awhile until the funds are direct deposited as I have asked three times for the deposit amounts to verify the account. When the account is confirmed, the funds will be direct depostied into an account in our hometown. I am not on the account and will not be.

3) All donations for the site are via PayPal.

I expect to provide our class full accounting information on the site, however I may not get all the info to prepare a true report. We shall see.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 4:51 AM - Response #9

I've done the same as most people seem to have done. I set up the site for the benefit of myself and others, so decided never to charge for site membership.

Donations have always been voluntary but Classmates have been generous. I think they understand what I do can be time consuming and that costs are involved so send something when they can afford to. I've noticed that if I introduce something new to the site, add information about the school that I've obviously had to research, or add something that stirs a memory, it seems to strike a chord with one or more, and more donations arrive.

Mostly donations arrive by Pay Pal but the bigger the donation the bigger Pay Pal's cut so I'm happy to take cheques and cash. I keep records of where the money goes if anyone's ever concerned enough to want to know.

No one has ever asked yet, and I doubt that they will. The majority are just grateful that I've given them something they did realise they wanted, and, as a couple of them have said to me, if it ever gets too expensive all I've got to do is send out a bulk email to them all and they'll have no hesitation in helping solve the problem.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 10:50 AM - Response #10

Derrell,

We used class reunion funds that remained from our 45th reunion to pay for a 3-year subscription to CC. The funds were collected from reunion participants from the last reunion (45th) and were designated for start-up costs for our 50th (mostly mailing). We make it clear on our web site that the site is free and no one will be asked to pay. However we accept free will donations by using a "Donate" button linked to PayPal on the home page and also at the bottom of the special web page created to thank our donors. More than enough funds (plus extra toward the reunion) have been received to cover the web site and domain name costs for five years. Classmates are happy to donate and have used the button because they like the convenience of using a credit card, and they love the web site and appreciate the efforts being made on their behalf. Highly recommended.

Good Luck,
Donna

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 4:43 PM - Response #11

We asked for donations and everytime we received one, I added it to a moving scroll I created on our home page that listedt those who had donated to keep the website going. We were able to collect enough for our 10 yr subscription. I had some $100 and $50 donations! You can see it if you click on "FAQ & Site Purpose" on the left menu which is not pw protected. That is where I moved the names to once we had collected it all. I have some updating to do to the FAQ due to so many new things being added by Class Creator but the idea is all there.

Friday, November 12, 2010 at 4:53 PM - Response #12

Ruth,
Being somewhat computer illiterate I would love to know how you went about posting a running tab. If you have time, could you tell me how to go about it?
Thank you,
Karen Hoerauf,
Saginaw, MI
Class of '65

Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 6:13 PM - Response #13

Where did you find the moving scroll?
We aren't quite ready to add ticket sales yet, so I have to get some steps taken care of first.

Do you need a reunion bank account before you can ask for donations via website?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 10:36 AM - Response #14

Here is a site that should help you create the scroll you are looking for:

http://www.quackit.com/html/codes/html_marquee_code.cfm

You can ajust it to your needs once you get the general idea of using it.

We have a class bank account. We have had it for over 30 yrs now and never have had a problem with it. Anytime we receive donations, reunion $ or any other money it's deposited in the account. We keep a documenton our site of every dime that comes out of the account and where it goes.

Hope this helps.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.