ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Link text on two different pages

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/01/12 11:30 AM Views: 1436 Replies: 6
Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Sorry, but I'm having one of those days!

Can I link text on one page to a specific heading on another page, rather than just linking to the page itself?

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 1:35 PM - Response #1

Follow this LINK

Go to the section near the bottom "HTML Links - The name Attribute"

Essentially it's a link that references a your heading on another page with a bookmark. You have to make a bookmark on the other page.

Not sure if it works on all browsers. Maybe I typed something wrong when I tried this a long time ago?

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM - Response #2

Yes. On the target page (the one you're linking TO), you need to insert an Anchor just before the content you want to be displayed at the top of the window when the link is clicked. Note however, that if the content is near the bottom of the page, the page scrolls as far as it can toward that anchor but it may not display at the top of the window. To insert an anchor, use the Anchor icon in the browser (looks like a flag, on the far right in the second row of the toolbar). Give the anchor a unique name (one word, if you need a phrase, replace spaces with underscores).

Then, on the page with the link, in the link panel select "Link to anchor in the text" from the URL Type option, and then select the anchor by name.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM - Response #3

Many thanks Jack and Eric.

That looks as though it will fit the bill.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 6:29 PM - Response #4

Eric's won't quite work if the link you are linking to is on another page. The reason is that the "Link to anchor in the text" will only search for anchors it knows about (on the same page). Since the anchor you want to link to is on a different page, you can do the following...

On the page you want to link to, create the anchor where you want it. Then somewhere else on the same page type "Click HERE for the link" or something similar, then select the "Click HERE..." text, then click the LINK icon, choose the LINK TO ANCHOR IN TEXT option and choose the anchor you created. Save the link.

Now, cut the link you created (you don't want it on this page, you want it on another page). Save the changes to the current page without the link you just deleted.
Edit the page you really want the link and move to where you want it and press PASTE.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM - Response #5

Thanks, Kyle.

I'll play around with the suggestions tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 12:20 PM - Response #6

Sorry, guys. Couldn't get any of this to work. I might give up before I go completely crazy!

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.