ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Whitelist

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/01/08 05:24 PM Views: 1488 Replies: 4
Saturday, November 1, 2008 at 5:24 PM

How do you actually "whitelist" the email address and how do you tell others how to whitelist the postmaster email address? The only way I know how to do it is to send an email to the address you want to whitelist so that it's then in your address book. Any other things I need to know about this so I can tell people intelligently how to do it?
thanks,
sue Hall

Saturday, November 1, 2008 at 5:38 PM - Response #1

It's a very good question. And it's a very hard answer. Because there are dozens upon dozens of different email programs that people use. Everything from old school text based only email readers, to today's sophisticated html email software, to people reading email on smartphones and iphones and so forth and so on. So there really is no one answer you can give people.

What you can tell them, though, is that in most email software you'll have a "white list" or a "safe senders list". Or a name that sounds something like that. Usually people can find this area pretty easily just poking around under their email program's options. If the email program includes built in help, they can search for the term whitelist or safe list. Many times you can also right click on an email that has gone to the junk folder, and from the flyout menu select "add to safe senders list" or an equivalent option based on the email program.

Edited 11/01/08 5:39 PM
Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 11:36 AM - Response #2

I wonder if a fixed strand (or even a changeable document) could be created so that as different admins come up with specific directions to create a whitelist in a specific email client or web-based program, this could be shared and become more easily accessible. I've tried to ask users to fish around looking for keywords like whitelist or safe senders list and they only get more frustrated, asking for a set of simple directions. I don't know how to do this on any system, so I would welcome one place we all could access with information along these lines that we all create as we can. This would also avoid the regular comments of inferiority that people express because they don't know how to whitelist.

Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 12:39 PM - Response #3
Whitelist-directions.doc

I've attached the kind of document for creating a whitelist that I'm talking about.

Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM - Response #4

Responded in other thread.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.