ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Adding photos to our site

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/28/10 02:19 PM Views: 2387 Replies: 6
Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I'd like to add photos to our website and I see that there are a couple of ways of doing that. One in the Gallery and the other on one of the blank pages on the site. What are the pros and cons of each? Is one option preferred over the other? I have over 300 photos from 2 reunions to add.

Thanks,
Debbie

Edited 08/09/18 1:19 PM
Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 2:51 PM - Response #1

The Gallery was created to make it easier to upload and display the photos. That is one advantage of the Gallery.

Some people prefer more control over the placement of the photos. This can be done with a Custom Page. It can also be done with the CONTENT AREA of the Gallery pages. (HINT: The content area of a Gallery is a way to extend the number of custom pages you can have).

Both places use your File Vault storage area (you have to upload your photos to the website before they can be displayed).

You could also use a free photo hosting website (for example, www.slide.com, there are many 3rd party plug-ins that do this) and the File Vault storage space wouldn't be used.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 3:41 PM - Response #2

I added a number of photos to the photo gallery but cannot get the slideshow to work on an Apple Mac mini although it works on my iphone.

When I am setting up the slideshow there is a cool stack option but can't make this work.

Also cannot get playlist to work. I went yo playlist.com ad directed by this site but can't find where the embed code is located. Anyone worked with this?

Thanks!
Janie

Edited 09/28/10 4:44 PM
Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 4:32 PM - Response #3

Greetings,

Back from our reunion... have a classmate with 284 photos and a video to upload. I'm trying to decide the best way to do this. Part of the reason she is uploading them is to use in a memory book. Wink

I do not want to put them on a 3rd party site where they are open to the public.

Recommendations welcome.

Gwen

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 5:28 PM - Response #4

Gwen - The best way would be to open up your Gallery Creator and creator a new gallery that has the option available for classmates to upload their own photos. Smile I would recommend that multiple galleries are created for such a large number of photos.

As for the video, have them send you the file to place in the file vault. It will depend on what format the video is in as to what you should do next so when you get the video, determine the file type and we can assist.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 9:12 PM - Response #5

Class of 1966 Juanita Catrina wrote:

I added a number of photos to the photo gallery but cannot get the slideshow to work on an Apple Mac mini although it works on my iphone.
Janie

Janie - looks like you are uploading small yearbook photos to the Gallery area. And that each one has two images -- perhaps the same two images.

Galleries work best with larger images that would otherwise take up too much physical (storage) space. Your yearbook pictures, by nature, are small images.

The 'stack' option uses the images in a Gallery to create an embedded slide show. The embedded show needs to placed on a different page -- an announcement, your home page, or another page. The 'stack' slide show doesn't work within the Gallery; it's a way to play images from a Gallery on a different page.

By the way, you don't have to have a Gallery Active in order to create an embedded slide show from it.

Welcome to the Help Forums, Janie.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 3:52 PM - Response #6

Say you want another page, but have run out of your normal CUSTOM pages.
1. You could create a SURVEY page and only fill out the Content area of the survey (don't add any questions).
2. You can now CREATE A NEW GALLERY. Create a left-side link for your new gallery - this is what will be clicked on. Now create a new Photo Gallery and assign it to the new left-side menu you just created. For the new photo gallery, add content to the content area, but don't add any photos. This will look exactly like one of your custom pages when someone clicks on the left-side menu.

Hope you understood that.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.