ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

posted pictures will not line up

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/07/09 09:14 PM Views: 1580 Replies: 5
Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I posted several sets of photos from our 45th HS reunion and used the table format and headings. When I edit, they seem lined up but after I save my work and go back into the site, some of the sets of pictures are way over to the right out of site. You can see a tiny edge of them, so you know they are there. It seems like I am missing an indent or something. Help. I would like them to all line up. roz

Edited 07/07/09 9:16 PM
Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 11:26 PM - Response #1

Welcome Rosalind.

Looking at your page, I bet you were pretty frustrated trying to get this layout to work. Which is unfortunate, because you have no idea how close you were to having everything right. I made just a few quick tweeks while I was in there to get you going the right direction, but here's 3 tips that will allow you to fix any problems you were experiencing the next time:

1) Never try to format your page with your space bar. For instance if you want to center several lines on the page, don't space them all over by eye. All monitors are different sizes and what looks centered in the editor won't be. Instead, type your text left justified, and when done select all of it and then click your center justification icon. This will center your text for all users in all browsers.

2) Don't ever set your master alignment on a table to "left" if you intend to add more content after your table. People select left thinking that's just a way of having the table be left justified on the page, but what it actually tells the browser is to put content below the table over on the right side of the table. And this is how you got those elements way over to the right that you could barely see. Instead, leave your table alignment set to "default" and you won't have this problem at all.

3) Be careful when putting photos side by side that you don't leave too much space between the photos. If the total of your two photos and your space between them exceed 646 pixles, you'll start blowing out your design because your content will be too large to fit into the space in which you're inserting it.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 8:48 AM - Response #2

Hallelujah.......... I knew it was something to do with the spacebar and alignment. Thanks for your help. I will try to get to it today and correct it. roz

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 3:52 PM - Response #3

Just a recap in case anyone read about my alignment problem.
I followed these instructions by clicking on each TABLE of photos that I had set up. I changed the alignment button from LEFT to NOT SET which I assume is the default. I made sure the size of the table was 600 pixels or less.
After I finished & saved my changes, I noticed there was a lot of extra white space between pictures, so I went back and manually deleted those white spaces.
One heading would not cooperate, so I just deleted it and typed it Left aligned then as Brad said, I highlighted it and chose CENTER alignment. I guess it really does matter that everyone's computer screens are different sizes so you have to use some of these tips.
Anyway, I am no longer embarrassed by the way the pictures look and they are IN LINE like little soldiers!!! YEAH.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 4:48 PM - Response #4

Great. And thanks for taking the time to follow up. These forums are heavily searched and I have no doubt this will be helpful to others.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 7:35 PM - Response #5

welcome

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.