ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Notification of Admin Changes

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 12/20/08 08:40 PM Views: 1397 Replies: 4
Saturday, December 20, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Hi Brad,
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this before but...I have a co-admin on my site and it sure would be nice if we could be notified if and when one or the other of us makes any admin changes on the website -- like changing someone's password for them, for example. Our communication broke down yesterday -- I discovered I was working on an issue that we were both notified about but that he had already taken care of and forgot to let me know! Now we feel we have to be really diligent at emailing each other every time one of us makes a change. Or is there any other way out there that exists to know what my other admin is doing that I don't know of? Thanks! Elaine

Saturday, December 20, 2008 at 9:59 PM - Response #1

Well, in addition to the fact that logging every single move an admin makes would be an absolutely gargantuan programming task, we'd be logging a list of things a mile and a half long every time an Admin did anything. That type of logging would not only be a huge drain on system resources, but to be perfectly frank are you really going to go through a gigantic log of every single action another Admin took while working on the site? Or are you going to look at something like that and go "oh geez, forget it!" One typical admin session could potentially produce pages and pages of log data.

I'm afraid in this case you're going to have to communicate about what needs to be done and who's doing what. In the very worst scenario you end up overwriting each other in some fashion, and one of you could potentially have to rekey something. Even if that happens, and I have to suspect this type of thing is rare overall, I think you're better off redoing whatever it is than studying log data on other Admins all the time to keep up with what they're doing. Or, so it seems to me. Smile

Edited 12/20/08 10:01 PM
Saturday, December 20, 2008 at 10:21 PM - Response #2

Elaine.. My admin and I use Skype. We have headphones AND videocams. We sit and edit together. We talk daily about the site/maintenance.....of course we are friends that dearly enjoy each other (and that helps)and do alot of laughing as well. Not that extravagant, but an excellent way to communicate...Bonita

Saturday, December 20, 2008 at 11:00 PM - Response #3

Bonita -- You are absolutely right -- thanks for the great suggestion and advice! My co-admin uses Skype so I guess I'm about to now too-- we are friends as well and have thoroughly enjoyed so many memories and laughs together since reconnecting about our reunion.

Brad -- Honestly, I don't know how you guys manage on the resources you have and think you've done such a fabulous job -- I'm spreading the word so watch out! Laughing We'll manage to communicate with each other somehow..... Thanks!

Sunday, December 21, 2008 at 12:55 PM - Response #4

I hope it works for you. I agree, CC is pretty amazing. Have a good one!!!! Bonita

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.