ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

New threaded forum issues

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 03/30/09 05:38 AM Views: 1473 Replies: 9
Monday, March 30, 2009 at 5:38 AM

Hi,

The following are not urgent issues, just things that are perplexing and/or annoying, and I just thought you'd want to know. :O)

When a user first goes to a new forum topic, where no one has yet posted, they are greeted with: "Sorry, but there are no threads available for this forum".
I think this is really confusing to the prospective poster. Couldn't it be changed to something that INVITES the user to be the first poster? Or tells them to click New Topic to start the first post?

On my forum the topic titles and last post data, etc, are all plain black font. It's not at all obvious that they are links that lead to the messages. Why aren't they blue?

In the message editor, there is a choice of 3 font sizes. One is quite small and the other 2 are humungous, even though one is labeled "normal". Is this common to other sites, or is it my problem?

On the "Edit forum user" box, there are No, Yes and Forum Default buttons for "Active?". Then it says, "If yes, why?" Huh? Isn't yes the default, and if so, why ask why? Am I missing something?

Also, what is the difference between Yes, and Forum Default?

Below that, on Moderate Topics, there are No, Yes, and Forum Default buttons. Isn't "No" the default? Why the 3rd choice? Makes me wonder what I'm not understanding. Ditto for Moderate All Posts.

I think this is a bug: When I've clicked on one forum user to edit, and then I close that user and click on another user, the First user comes up again. This happens whatever user I click on, until I navigate away and then back to, or refresh the page.

Another bug: the user cannot delete their posts (nor on THIS forum either).

Will the view counter always be counting all my views while I'm editing?

Last item :O) Is there anyway that the forum titles can be bolded (the ones that the site admin creates)?

Thank you for the new forums! I think they're great, but I still have to convince my classmates, LOL. :O) :O)

Edited 03/30/09 5:49 AM
Monday, March 30, 2009 at 9:45 AM - Response #1

Marian,

Not sure about all of your post, but regarding below:

"Another bug: the user cannot delete their posts (nor on THIS forum either)."

I'm pretty sure a user can delete his/her own posts in the the Help Forums. I see a link for Delete and Edit posts at the bottom of my posts.

Eric

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM - Response #2

I will answer this, Eric's, and all othe questions later today. Anything "clunky" or confusing you just pointed out above we can address today, no problem. Please forgive me for the "untimliness" of resposes regarding the new threaded forums today. What you see here is a small snippet of the private emails and customer service form emails we're getting about this and a few dozen other things. Please hang tight, I assure you we'll get to every last thing. I'll open a new thread later this afternoon with ONLY remaining issues so we can kind of "regroup" on all of this and end some of the scatterdness. My oh my is it ever time to hire another support person. Any Class Creator gurus looking to move to Ann Arbor, Michigan please let me know!

Edited 03/30/09 11:01 AM
Monday, March 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM - Response #3

Marian,

Lots of good observations.

- I've changed that unfriendly wording.
- made those links blue and underlined
- bolded the forum titles

I'll let Brad address some of the other questions. Smile

Thanks,
Dave

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 1:44 PM - Response #4

Dear Dave,

I saw your changes and it's beautiful!!! Thank you thank you!!!

Eric...have you tried the delete button? I'd like to know if it actually works for anybody?

Brad, I'm feeling lucky to be dealing only with my own issues, not everybody's!! You are appreciated!!!

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 3:55 PM - Response #5

Why thank you Marian. Fun navigating through a few opening hurdles there eh? But then what's a few bugs... I think in less than a day we've nailed most of them -- just try getting that type of response from Microsoft. Smile

I took a break to actually eat lunch, but I'm back in the saddle. All right, let me hit some of your questions above, and anything remaining I'll get with the programmers on later today.

1) Dave seems to have put in something you liked, so I'll consider the cold opening comment issue closed.

2) Dave apparently fixed topic titles too. Sometimes I can't keep up with all that's happening.

3) All font sizes are coming out the same size for me, which is obviously not right. I put this on the Task List.

4) Edit forum user screen, Active heading: We just need a yes or no there, I'll have the rest zapped.

5) Post Moderation: No is the default if your master setting in your Preferences area is set to no. But you have the individual No and Yes options here so you can set this at the user level if you ever need to. I.E. if somebody is misbehaving, you may want to turn on moderation just for that one specific user. I'll pop an instructional note into this page to make this area more clear.

6) User can't delete own post issue added to Task List.

7) Bolded titles: Sounds like Dave tackled that too.

I have a complete "Forum Issues" list here that I'm keeping now, and anything else left on it will be addressed shortly.

Edited 03/30/09 4:03 PM
Monday, March 30, 2009 at 6:42 PM - Response #6

Brad...I don't know how anyone could ask any more of you!

But...I'm going to ask for just one more itsy bitsy change :O). To wit: A link inside a message is flat black, doesn't look anything like a link, I needed to add Click Here to my text. Could links inside messages be blue too?

And just one more question (for now): On individual forums that we password protect to limit usage, do those that don't have the password see the forum title, or is it hidden from view?

THANK YOU!!!

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 8:24 PM - Response #7

It's hidden.

I'll ask Dave to respond here about the link. Ohhhh Dave, can links in forums automatically come out blue and underlined?

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 8:38 PM - Response #8

Wow! That was fast! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 8:47 PM - Response #9

What, did he already do it? Sometimes I'm the last to know.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.