ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Photo Upload Form

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/20/08 06:19 PM Views: 1510 Replies: 4
Saturday, December 20, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Is the photo upload form that is available for classmate profile pages available for customizable pages? It seems that only the classic photo uploader is available for those pages.

Saturday, December 20, 2008 at 9:49 PM - Response #1

That's correct. On the customizable pages the photo upload is tied into the editor itself. Is there a reason you're not wanting to use that? If you're using Safari for Mac, try Firefosx for now.

Saturday, December 20, 2008 at 11:11 PM - Response #2

I am using Firefox on a Mac.

It seems to me that the uploader for profile pages make it much easier to sequence the photos and to add captions. It also allows the uploading of multiple photos at one time.

When loading photos to a custom page, I am not seeing any sequencing function or caption function. Text can be added under photos, but if they are placed side-by-side, the text relates to all photos on one level, not individual photos as a caption would.

It also seems difficult to change the placement of the photos. Resizing is not difficult. Placing photos in tables could be helpful, but so far I have been a bit clumsy with that process.

Thanks for any tips on creating a good looking page of photos.

Whit Ehrler

Sunday, December 21, 2008 at 2:51 AM - Response #3

What it boils down to in this case, is you're using a very defined process for uploading photos to the Classmate area, and an extremely open ended processing when editing your custom pages.

Classmates need something simple that basically formats itself and is virtually impossible to "mess up." Thus, the "Classmate Profile." You can't allow Classmates too much open ended formatting control because quite simply, they would break it in multiple ways. The process has to be pretty much foolproof.

Very different scenario with Admin custom pages. Here you need to be able to do anything, so you've got all the power of html behind you. That also makes things a little easier to break, but naturally we're going to give Admins more control than Classmates...so sometimes it just takes a little learning. It helps to Google "html tutorial" and read through one of the many free ones online. You can learn a whole lot in just a few hours. Making complex layouts and things like that, for example, aren't so mysterious when you know even some of the basics. Some people even prefer to create sophisticated html pages in external software such as Dreamweaver, and then copy and paste the underlying source code back into the Class Creator editor window. Doing that really blows the lid off of what can be done. Bottom line anyway, is the custom pages are open ended because they have to accommodate anyone and everyone, from rudimentary html skills all the way up to advanced html and layout experts. That may actually make some things such as formatting photos on a page more difficult for you. However, once you've mastered a few skills, it's really not too bad. Just different. Smile

Edited 12/22/08 2:00 AM
Sunday, December 21, 2008 at 11:28 AM - Response #4

O.K., thanks for the explanation. Now I know what I have to do.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.