ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Responsive Page

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/29/15 04:42 PM Views: 1044 Replies: 12
Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 4:42 PM

I accidently changed my design. I did not know that i would not be able to get back to my regular design. Is there a go back or restore?

Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 8:09 PM - Response #1

Upper right corner, click gear icon, click Change Design then Click View Legacy Designs.

Interesting that you are the fourth or so to ask this and similar questions - so there needs to be a hover help box that appears when mouse hovers on the upper right icons Idea

Monday, November 30, 2015 at 4:28 PM - Response #2

Yes, I was going to say the same thing. There was an earlier post about this same topic. However, I found it didn't really "go back"... you had to pick the design you originally used, but then everything is the same. However, I really like the new responsive design. It took me a minute to get the colors right, but I like it!

Monday, November 30, 2015 at 4:38 PM - Response #3

So I guess I need to go and find my header that I was using before I changed. I did not realize what damage I was doing. Is there no way to work on the responsive pages befor you go live with them.

Monday, November 30, 2015 at 4:43 PM - Response #4

Not that I found, but I'm a newbie here, too. I do wish there was a "test" system of sorts. I'm such a ditz that I always take screen shots of pages I'm working on...just for something like this. Sad

Monday, November 30, 2015 at 4:49 PM - Response #5

I wish some of the ClassCreator guru's would chime in on this. Thanks

Monday, November 30, 2015 at 4:51 PM - Response #6

We will be sending out a series of videos very soon that discusses the Responsive Designs.

Monday, November 30, 2015 at 4:57 PM - Response #7

Thank you, Kyle. I think we all need some guidance.

Monday, November 30, 2015 at 5:58 PM - Response #8

It's good or not depending on one's site. If one started from scratch it's a better more flexible system.

Converting an existing site depends on what is on a page. Our home page doesn't even come close to the original (and I'm not talking about the added spacing or the right side mods).

Mostly text and a few images, fine. However, adding fixed size elements can cause both visual (too much white space) or odd spacing or even the changing of color (or no colors). IOW, the more one has done, the more it can 'change'.

For example, hr spacing was changed as well as line spacing, tables, etc. I'd be sure to check ALL pages to see if one likes the result.

The movement of login, etc to the upper right is nice but that and other things could also actually be done with the "classic" designs" fairly easily by CC.

Whether or not your site will be "responsive" actually depends on the content !

It's also loading WAY more additional data for the same page. Haven't checked on a phone yet, but I have a feeling it will load much slower.

Karen Landreth wrote:

.. but then everything is the same.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 10:16 AM - Response #9

Hi Randy,

My apologies for not replying sooner as I was away from the sites. Sorry you missed our TAP emails and chats regarding the Responsive Design.

I have found the Responsive Design to be a plus. It gives us a wider page, which gives us more width on the home page. More width on the home page gives us the ability to highlight more of what is found on our sites and more announcements without having a home page that is very long.

Jack V. is correct that the home page needs to be edited/adjusted, which is due to the added width of the content area of the page. Sure it takes a bit of time. I see it as no problem at all. It is worth the extra width for content on home page and announcements.

As you did, admins who are not happy with the new Responsive Design or not sure it is for them can change back by going to the upper right corner, click on the gears, choose Change Design and choose the design you had before the Responsive Design. I did this moments ago on a site I wasn't sure I wanted to change right away.

The Responsive Design takes getting used to. I love the option of the gears in the upper corner. Not having to scroll down to Admin Functions is great!

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 11:49 AM - Response #10

Hi Gwen

Thanks for the nice letter. I have had some minor health problems lately and have not been able to catch up on my email lately.

I guess my first question is what is the best way to start. Should I build a new website or edit the old one. Can you work on one page a time then save that page or when you choose responsive design it changes everything on your website all at once and you are down until you can repair all pages.

As you know I build other websites and I have the ability to build responsive design ones with the software I use but I have yet to do so, but I am aware of the new advantages to use this design. I am excited about being able to do this through ClassCreator.

Look forward to hearing more about specifics with CC.

Thanks

Randy

After I posted this to you I read Jack V's. Comments and he answered a couple of my questions.

Edited 12/02/15 11:54 AM
Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 1:20 PM - Response #11

Not exactly. The issue is much more than just a wider width (which can be controlled by setting it to more confined choice - "Layout Fixed" option. That's the the one I'd recommend when switching over.

The totally wide thing doesn't really work for CC pages. Looks odd. CC needs to add more control over the right column to make that visually work correctly. IOW, make that a separate area with it's own content Idea

My pages can't be made to work without extensive CSS overrides. It looks fine in the EDITOR but goes kaput when displayed. It's a very odd thing CC did by displacing standard display defaults that obviously are not integrated with the editor.

It will be a problem for some sites.

To summarize - simple pages with simple styles, no problem. Making tables WIDER is not a good idea actually since that defeats the goal of Responsive (does not adjust to widths). Might as well stick with current design. Idea

Just giving advice to be aware that not all things will be cozy and not all things can be fixed without going to CSS overrides. For this I'm using a fairly common 1920 x 1080 display standard here since smaller displays will not show some anomalies. Similarly you'd have to go to a small phone type display to see what happens with fixed elements.

It just depends.

Gwen Corey wrote:

Jack V. is correct that the home page needs to be edited/adjusted, which is due to the added width of the content area of the page. Sure it takes a bit of time. I see it as no problem at all. It is worth the extra width for content on home page and announcements.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 9:07 AM - Response #12

Thanks a lot Jack. Makes a lot of sense. I am sure things will get worked out with patience and waiting for more controls and guidance from CC.

I think that a lot of insite could be gleamed from other admins sharing their new responsive pages and experience through the forum.

I think I will wait for more info before I start changing my 3 ClassCreator websites.

Thanking everyone in advance for there sharing.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.