ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Can Admin read private messages?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/23/11 04:21 AM Views: 1664 Replies: 7
Thursday, June 23, 2011 at 4:21 AM

I've got a bit of a touchy situation between divorced classmates. A male won't join because his ex-wife always accuses him of sending harassing emails and messages. He wants to know if there is a way for me as the Admin to read any private messages sent between them if she starts making false claims.
I didn't realize I would become a therapist when I agreed to be the Admin.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 at 8:24 AM - Response #1

No, the Message Center is completely private. Nobody but those who are included in the original message will be able to see the message thread.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 at 2:00 PM - Response #2

Do private messages disappear when a password is reset? If not, then what prevents an admin from reading private messages?

Thursday, August 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM - Response #3

When the password is reset, there is a JavaScript ALERT box that pops up to the admin before the password is changed. It says that the new password will be sent to the e-mail on file for the classmate. This lets the dishonest admin know that you will know that your password has been reset and you will know that something fishy is going on.

Even though the messages are private, if it is something that nobody else should ever see, maybe you should delete the message after reading it.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 at 4:33 PM - Response #4

Sounds good, so long as the system also sends notifications whenever email addresses are changed. Wink

I’m not requesting that a user’s private message store be flushed or temporarily locked down whenever a password is reset (although I certainly wouldn’t object to the latter); I just don’t want to mislead my users about the degree to which "private" means "private."

Thanks for the quick response.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 at 6:00 PM - Response #5

Yes, when the admin tries to change the e-mail address of the classmate, the classmate will get the new e-mail address notification sent to their old e-mail address. If they no longer have access to their old e-mail address, the message is "lost in cyberspace".

If they didn't authorize the e-mail address change, they will start to have suspicions about their website admin reading their messages. The classmate will have the e-mail address that they need to use in order to sign back in to the website because they received the e-mail notification of the change.

There is also a JavaScript ALERT box that pops up to notify the admin that what they are about to do will be sent to the classmate.

Monday, August 22, 2011 at 7:39 AM - Response #6

I've been encouraging my alumni to join the site by explaining what we have to offer including 'a very private chat room' among other benefits. Am I wrong? I figured Class Creator (who are few and doesn't really care about 'what' we say) and the root administrator (me) are the only ones with the ability to see private messages. That's a lot better, in my opinion, than posting 'private' messages on Facebook, etc. (where literally 1000's of people are proof-reading of sorts what is printed.

Monday, August 22, 2011 at 9:21 AM - Response #7

Barbara,

How are you seeing their private messages? I would like to know.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.