ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Email Bounceback

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/15/11 11:53 AM Views: 2206 Replies: 8
Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I'm getting messages from committee members (on my other email) that their emails to me through the website are being returned as bounceback. I've checked my email address and it's correct. What could be causing this? This could be a problem, because of committee president I'm emailing and requesting responses frequently.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 12:42 PM - Response #1

Carmela,

If you delete the bounceback, we cannot look at it. If it happens again, reply back here, but don't delete the bounceback.

Kyle

Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 12:48 PM - Response #2

They aren't bouncebacks of my emails to someone, they are bounceback from the committee to me so I couldn't control it. I'll send them another email and warn them if they get a bounceback to not delete it until I've heard from you. I assume a bounceback will occur almost immediately from the time it's sent, so assume within the next hour there should be one, or eight! Thanks.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 2:16 PM - Response #3

I just realized that the people may be trying to email back by clicking reply as they normaly would because they haven't read through the bottom. To avoid this, is there someway of setting up the email system so it is more streamline like regular email? This email is very cumbersome.

Monday, October 17, 2011 at 4:52 PM - Response #4

Hi Carmela,

We wish we could set it up normally, but when an email is sent through the site, it comes from our webserver, not your mailserver, so if we have the email SAY it comes from your mailserver, that is called "address spoofing" and is a huge red flag to email providers that the message is either spam (unwanted commercial email) or a computer virus. Since we actually want classmates to receive emails rather than having them blocked by their ISPs, we use noreply@classcreator.net as the sending address, and provide a link for users to click on to reply. You'll just have to tell the users of your site to click the link to reply to you. Yes, it is cumbersome, but until spammers and virus-peddlers stop clogging up the internet with their emails, we have no other option unless you upgrade to a Platinum subscription and register your own domain name. If you do that, we'll set up a mailserver for you, give you a mailbox on that server, and then you can use carmela@dalton-euclid.com (for example) as the return address for your emails.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 4:18 AM - Response #5

I have received two email recent bouncebacks from regular classmates both using AOL, one on 2/6 and the other on 2/2. The subject of the email I can see, but not the content; I didn't send them, but as admin, and with classmates joining, I subscribe to ALL our classmates - we have only about 125 registered; I recognize the email addresses, and they have used them for years, and have just written both outside of CC and no bounceback. How can I tell what went wrong or is writing you the way to do it. I don't see any bounceback searching on the forum since october 2011, so it's not hitting everyone. Please advise...Thanks

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM - Response #6

The second to the last line you will see this code followed by a URL. Go to the URL and search for the code

554 5.7.1 : (RLY:B1)
http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rlyb1.html

Search for "RLY:B1" It says

This error message is a dynamic block on our system. Dynamic blocks are placed on an IP address when the IP's statistics break our threshold. These are automated blocks that are removed by the system within 24 hours once the complaints are again below the threshold.

So probably what happened was somehow our system sent too many e-mails to AOL and they got upset and added a 24 hour block so that all e-mails to AOL from our system were rejected for 24 hours.

I will check with someone more familiar with bouncebacks, but that looks like what happened.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 4:51 PM - Response #7

I received those messages from AOHELL too...they are a real pain. I just delete them..if the classmate has put in a secondary email addy..I try sending it to them that way..telling them need to whitelist our website email addy.
I hope this helps.

Dick Rubinstein wrote:

I have received two email recent bouncebacks from regular classmates both using AOL, one on 2/6 and the other on 2/2. The subject of the email I can see, but not the content; I didn't send them, but as admin, and with classmates joining, I subscribe to ALL our classmates - we have only about 125 registered; I recognize the email addresses, and they have used them for years, and have just written both outside of CC and no bounceback. How can I tell what went wrong or is writing you the way to do it. I don't see any bounceback searching on the forum since october 2011, so it's not hitting everyone. Please advise...Thanks

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:24 PM - Response #8

Thank you both. Whitelisting I don't believe will solve it, as these addresses have successfully been used before and since I believe - and they weren't ALL AOL email addresses being used, just 2-3 that had recently been sent emails

Edited 02/08/12 8:24 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.