ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

How do we REDIRECT a prior URL

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/18/11 08:06 PM Views: 1484 Replies: 4
Friday, February 18, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Prior to using Class Creator, we had a website for about 10 years for our alumni associations. We still have it.

It is a simpler URL (sphsaa.org)

We want to shut down the older site since it does not provide the features of CC BUT we want to keep the URL active.

What are the steps to have it immediately redirect to our CC site, with no pause for a message or additional clicking?

I assume we will have to maintain the URL where it is located and pay the fees so we can use the URL, or are there other options? One of the features we like is the many available email addresses, with the shorter URL.

Let us know your thoughts and options.

Thanks,

Bruce

Friday, February 18, 2011 at 9:21 PM - Response #1

Bruce, this should do the trick, and you can try the results yourself before using it on your own site: Redirect html code

Bruce Eskander (Administrator) wrote:

Prior to using Class Creator, we had a website for about 10 years for our alumni associations. We still have it.

It is a simpler URL (sphsaa.org)

We want to shut down the older site since it does not provide the features of CC BUT we want to keep the URL active.

What are the steps to have it immediately redirect to our CC site, with no pause for a message or additional clicking?

I assume we will have to maintain the URL where it is located and pay the fees so we can use the URL, or are there other options? One of the features we like is the many available email addresses, with the shorter URL.

Let us know your thoughts and options.

Thanks,

Bruce

Friday, February 18, 2011 at 9:44 PM - Response #2

Thanks, but that example is not an instantaneous redirect. There is a 5 second delay. I guess I could change the =5 to =0?

Although I meant my question to be more of "where do you put the code" in addition to "what is the code"?

Possibly CC has a alternative answer, where they would kind of host the URL and it redirects right from CC? I'm not even sure if that would work.

Friday, February 18, 2011 at 10:04 PM - Response #3

Bruce, just so I understand - you have an old non-CC site sphsaa.org that you want to use to redirect to your current CC site http://www.sphsaa-classmates.org/, is that correct?

I just went to sphsaa.org, and it sent me to the CC site, so I'm not sure which direction you want to go.

The redirect code goes in the "head" tags as shown in the demo. You can't get to that in the CC site webpages, but if you have the old website you want to redirect to CC, you should have control over that and can use the code.

The number of seconds of delay is found in the first part of the (content="5.....) parameter. Set that 5 to a 0, and it'll go immediately. The delay is used to display content to your visitor that they're about to be directed to your new site so they can adjust their bookmarks accordingly.

Edited 02/18/11 10:07 PM
Friday, February 18, 2011 at 10:27 PM - Response #4

Thanks for your comments. As you can see it was already taken care of. Maybe this will be helpful to someone else at some point. Have a great weekend!

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.