ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Replacement for Adobe Flash?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/11/19 05:14 PM Views: 1924 Replies: 20
Monday, March 11, 2019 at 5:14 PM

What do you recommend for a replacement for Adobe Flash? I am not that computer savvy but my husband told me Adobe will be gone in 2020. Thanks

Monday, March 11, 2019 at 5:40 PM - Response #1

We have slowly been removing Flash objects from the system and have a few left to replace.

Monday, March 11, 2019 at 6:11 PM - Response #2

My problem is I use adobe flash player for slideshows, amination and clipart. Will I lose all of these? What is an alternative. I put in a lot of work on slideshows.

Thanks, Bev

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 2:45 PM - Response #3

Yes, you should look for alternatives as well. Some other administrators here can point you to other resources that provide these kinds of add ons that are not powered by flash.

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 2:12 AM - Response #4

Thank you for your response. Yes, I would like to know about other resources.

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 12:36 AM - Response #5

Good question. Hope to see some suggestions soon.

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 8:53 AM - Response #6

Great topic. I will watch here for submissions. Thanks!

Thursday, April 11, 2019 at 11:16 AM - Response #7

That sounds OK for moving forward but I have a LOT of videos from prior reunions that are all in Flash. What do I do to not lose them on the site?

Thursday, April 11, 2019 at 4:53 PM - Response #8

My suggestion for videos is to host them with YouTube and use their embed code to display the videos on your site.

Friday, April 12, 2019 at 8:58 AM - Response #9

According to This Article, Flash will not be allowed on anything by end of 2020, including YouTube.

Even before then, how (where) do w tell users to "allow Flash". I found it by accident when trying to view Users Online.

Friday, April 12, 2019 at 1:30 PM - Response #10

I don't believe you have to tell users how/where to "allow Flash." If a video appears that requires Flash, a dialog box appears, asking if the user wishes to enable Flash for that video.

Friday, April 12, 2019 at 1:39 PM - Response #11

Sometimes, with the MP3 player for example, the player may be a hidden element on the page that is supposed to auto play. In those cases, it likely won't show a plug in in the content of the page that is awaiting approval. In those cases, the plug in approval is usually in the location bar at the top of the browser.

Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 9:53 PM - Response #12

MP3 is already replaced by JVideoPlayer (does both Youtube and MP3)

To connvert a Flash video to Youtube format, just get a screen capture program. Replay video capture is one of those. Just search for it. They have excellent inexpensive solutions. Sometimes they offer deals where you get everything for $30.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 10:57 AM - Response #13

While Adobe Flash was widely used for many years, many services have begun replacing it. For instance, many popular video streaming services, like YouTube, have long since made the jump to HTML 5. On top of that, recently web browsers have begun switching off Flash support by default, simply due to the amount of security bugs the software has been afflicted with.

Monday, November 11, 2019 at 2:08 PM - Response #14

Where did we land with an adobe flash replacement/fix? On all my photos for earlier reunions it says "Adobe Flash Player is Blocked". What's the best way to shift these over to something people can access? Seems the YouTube and other suggestions may not have been the answer???? Rolling Eyes
My photos from last two reunions are fine because they sit in the galleries.

Monday, November 11, 2019 at 6:29 PM - Response #15

Can you explain why the YouTube solution won't work? You do have to buy the software I gave, but that's fairly inexpensive.

If you have the original images you could just use Gallery Creator to duplicate.

YouTube is not related to Adobe Flash. Very different.

Friday, November 22, 2019 at 2:46 PM - Response #16

I do understand that YOuTube is different, but doesn't it take a lot of work to move things over to it? I don't want to have to reload everything that took hours and hours to do a couple of years ago. Does the software you suggested work easily? Is the JVideoPlayer the screen capture program or is that something else? Also, since Adobe won't load, I can't capture the video anyway....
I think it would take hours and hours again to put them into Gallery Creator.
I also see that Photobucket where my class photos are loaded has now upped their price for holding the images. I'm trying to see if I really need them housed there. I guess I'm annoyed at having to reinvent the wheel that took so much time to create in the first place. Ugh.
Thanks!

Saturday, November 23, 2019 at 1:00 AM - Response #17

Let's start with you being able to play FLASH on your computer. [A few things have changed since the last time I looked. For sure Flash will NOT work on many browsers.]

This LINK FOR STANDALONE FLASH PLAYER will let you play SWF (FLASH) files outside of your browser. Meaning, you just click it like a program. It's a bit awkward to find files. You copy the link from your site and then paste that into the program.

Go down to

Flash Player 32 Beta Standalone

32-bit standalone builds for Mac and Windows

Download Flash Player 32 Beta Standalone for WindowsDownload standalone for Windows 32-bit
Download Flash Player 32 Beta Standalone for MacDownload standalone for Mac OS X 32-bit
-----------------------------------------
After you download, click on the program in the folder you put it, right click and send to Desktop to make a shortcut to desktop so it is easy to find. That's something installers do for you - this is the manual way to create any links on the desktop.
-----------------------------------------
I'm trying to find SWF to MP4 converters that actually work. That would be the easiest here. You only have to upload the converted video to YouTube.

There are several Screen Capture programs, I have the Corel ones, but there are many.

JVideoPlayer is not a screen capture. You'd would probably use a standard YouTube embed, unless you had a lot of them since JVplayer makes a YouTube playlist that is more compact.

If you can send me a link to one of your SWF flash files, I can use that to experiment with.

Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 11:13 PM - Response #18

Okay - now it's gotten tricky. Playlist generator has no option for me to create a new playlist. Previous playlists no longer work. Directions on playlist creator say click on Browse but there is NO such animal.

So, slowly and step by step, walk me through what I need to do so I can put a working playlist on the website where I want it to go.

ADDENDUM: Have seen early posts about JVideo and confusion is how I best describe it.

I only want to add MP3s that are nothing more than ones I made at home or with the country band I play with. Very basic stuff.

Edited 02/28/20 2:37 AM
Friday, February 28, 2020 at 1:15 PM - Response #19

There is a browse option visible ATM for FireFox. Once you open a playlist, Edit, enable Flash. A new dialog appears with browse option. But that will be short-lived and the many users with Chrome can't run it anyway.

What I described (JVideoplayer) above supports MP3 playlists. Can use your existing MP3s stored on CC or anywhere else. To see demos CLICK MP3 Samples on that page ato get an idea of the custom variations possible. The size and type of graphic is up to you. From none, to predefined to your own.

To get the existing URL for your existing MP3's use Firefox. The URLs are listed for each MP3 in the playlist in Preview.

What I recommend is to use the FILE vault, make a special folder and upload all your MP3s there directly. Much easier to manage and see how much space you are using vs the CC player. I think once your delete the existing CC playlist stuff, the MP3s stored in the old location will be removed.

Works on ALL the browsers including mobile, since it is pure HTML5 code.

Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 3:56 PM - Response #20

Thanks for these suggestions but... I'm exhausted just reading (& envisioning "how-to" in my mind), let alone figuring in the time required to learn & do all of them. Maybe I will put an out-of-office on email/VMM saying I'm self-quarantining for the next two weeks. Laughing Seriously though, I'm with Diana - spent SO much time developing the perfect playlists & videos only to find everything now needs to be redone! Auughhh!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.