ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Locking profiles unless logged in

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/11/11 08:27 PM Views: 1391 Replies: 12
Thursday, August 11, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Earlier this summer, I checked my class site (mchs1970.com) to ensure all classmates profiles were locked to the outside world. This week, I noticed they are open. I imagine this could have happened with the server issue. I need to lock the profiles that have been set up. I can not find a 'one-click locks all' anywhere. There is a way to do that, right? Please do not say, 'Dream on, Gwen. Dream on.' I do not want to do each one individually.

Also, when these are once again locked, will an email go out to everyone that a change has been made on their profile as it did earlier when I change a classmates all caps to upper and lower?

By the way, it is good to be back here. Smile I've been up to my neck in many other projects.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 at 10:41 PM - Response #1

Gwen...

CC has a master switch they can throw on your request to make everyone's profile viewable only by registered users.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 at 11:32 PM - Response #2

CC, Please 'throw the switch', as noted by John, to make all profiles (classmates and teachers) viewable only by registered users on the following two sites:

mchs1970.com
mchenryalumni.com

If I could get a good batch of brownies out of my oven, I'd send some right away! The thought is there... Very Happy

(John, thanks for the reply!)

Thursday, August 11, 2011 at 11:37 PM - Response #3

Gwen,

mchs1970.com
mchenryalumni.com

Both of these sites now have the profile privacy override turned on.

Friday, August 12, 2011 at 3:27 AM - Response #4

Thank you ten times, Kyle! Very Happy

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM - Response #5

I just discovered that our page was being viewed by people other than classmates. I have now password protected all the pages with the exceptions of the profile pages for classmates and teachers and the homepage. So, if I understand correctly, I still need to request the override from CC to keep the profiles from being viewed by others that have not joined our site. Is this correct? I have read that the contact info is locked automatically on everyone's profiles, so with the override this locks everything else from others' view if they are not a member of the site, correct? I want to make sure I understand what I am requesting. I think that is what we want to do also. Are there disadvantages to that?

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM - Response #6

If you are requesting this, all it does is FORCE all profile information to be private. It will also not allow classmates to turn off the privacy for their profile so that others can view it. It forces all profiles to be private. This is all that the profile override does.

All other pages being private, it doesn't do anything about (it is your responsibility to password protect if you want).

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM - Response #7

Yes, I think we would like to force them all to be private because that seems to be what concerns most people about having their info on the site.

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 6:04 PM - Response #8

LaVerne,

OK, your website has PRIVACY PLUS option enabled.. You can tell because if you Manage Classmates, then PROFILES, you won't see the Profile Privacy checkbox.

Friday, July 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM - Response #9

Some of my classmates have checked the "Profile Visibility" box on their profile, yet, no lock appears by their name on the Classmate Profiles page & it appears that their profile info is available to everyone. Do we need the override?

Thanks,
John Parker

Friday, July 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM - Response #10

You have to be logged out in order to see the PADLOCK icon.

When I am logged out of your website and click the Classmate Profiles page, I see several PADLOCK icons.

Do you have examples of classmates that should have a PADLOCK icon and don't have one when you are logged out of your website?

Friday, July 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM - Response #11

Hi Kyle... what is the downside to locking profiles?

Best wishes... j

Edited 07/20/12 9:13 AM
Friday, July 20, 2012 at 9:18 AM - Response #12

The downside is that the classmate's friends/family members (not members of your class) cannot view their profile. They would need to be a guest of your website and logged in to view their friend/family member's profile.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.