ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Obfuscating email addresses

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 07/06/09 03:53 PM Views: 1629 Replies: 3
Monday, July 6, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Hi Brad & team,
This may be an issue with the FCKEditor but when I attempt to use the character code & # 6 4 ; in the middle of an email address so it doesn't have the @ sign on the source page (to prevent web crawlers) the editor seems to replace it with the @ sign when I go back to view the source of the page, which undoes all my replacements.

Does that make sense? The first time I replace them, it works. When I view the page source in the browser, I see my character codes. When I go back to view the source in the FCKEditor, it returns them to @ signs and if I save the page, the @ signs are back in the page source.

I can get around it by remembering I need to replace them every time I make a change on that page, but I wanted you to be aware of it.

Thanks!
Beth

Edited 07/06/09 3:53 PM
Monday, July 6, 2009 at 4:43 PM - Response #1

Just curious, are you positive that prevents web crawlers from picking up the email? I've never heard this before -- if so it's a great tip. As FCK Edit is a third party component there's little we can do about it doing that short of trying to reprogram that part of the editor. For now you're best off replacing as you're doing. Thanks for the tip.

Monday, July 6, 2009 at 5:12 PM - Response #2

I got this from this webpage: http://nadeausoftware.com/articles/2007/05/stop_spammer_email_harvesters_obfuscating_email_addresses

I think it would probably be best to replace the character codes of the whole email address instead (since they say the more advanced web crawlers have figured out when you just replace the @ sign). I tried the backwards html tag, which I thought was cool, but when a user copies & pastes the email address, it's still backwards!

This website: http://www.zapyon.de/spam-me-not/ converts the whole email address into its character codes.

Monday, July 6, 2009 at 5:17 PM - Response #3

Thanks!

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.