ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

upload pdf or doc files

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/19/17 10:46 AM Views: 1727 Replies: 17
Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 10:46 AM

I know I've done this before but lost the recipe.
How do I create an announcement which includes a doc or docx file and a pdf file which were emailed to me?
Or get these in the file vault, not as a link.

Thanks
Mike

Edited 11/19/17 10:47 AM
Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 3:25 PM - Response #1

Uploading a non image document to the File Vault...

You first need to upload the document to the file vault and then link to it. To upload a non image documents to the File Vault, locate any page that has an Editor Window, such as by going to EMail The Class > Compose A Message.

1. What I typically do first is decide on where my link will be and what my link phrase will say. Type the link phrase into the editor window and use your cursor to highlight the phrase.

2. On the Editor Window, look Link button (2nd row, 3rd from right). Click the Link button and the Link window will appear. Click the Browse / Choose File button and locate your file on your computer. Once selected, press the Open / Select button and then you will need to click the Upload button to the right. The window should close, leaving your link phrase blue and underlined. This means that it is linked, however to test the link you must save the page and go to the actual page of the site to click the link.

You should now be able to send yourself a test email and test the link. The document should open when you click the link.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 5:31 PM - Response #2

Scott- I was just about to write.
How can I add a power point pres. that was sent to me as an attachment in an email. I want to include it in an email to the class. I also tried adding it as a link address but it won't allow it without a URL , which I cannot find. Not critical, but would be nice to know of PowPnt has it's own restrictions. I never use PP.
Thanks, John

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 1:07 PM - Response #3

The process is the same as the above. You need to upload the ppt file to the file vault in the Insert Link area and then create a link to the file to download the file to the user's machine to play.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 4:01 PM - Response #4

Thanks. I'll play with it. Just had back surgery so as soon as the pain subsides I'll have time. Got no where to go.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 5:22 PM - Response #5

Good luck with your recovery!

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 9:49 AM - Response #6

I'm not seeing the file vault on my options list. Need to upload a pdf. Where is the file vault?
Thanks

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 12:25 PM - Response #7

Edit Site Pages > Edit Page for the page you need to add your link > Type your link phrase in the Editor Window > Highlight it with your cursor and then click the Insert Link button... 2nd rows of buttons, 3rd from right > The Insert Link window will open and you can then click Browse / Choose file and locate your file to upload to the File Vault.... once selected, click Upload.... the window should close leaving your link phrase highlighted as a link. Save the page and go to the page on the site to test your link.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 3:43 PM - Response #8

See the post I just made that shows how to display a PDF on your pages without user having to click a link. Works on all current browsers and mobile. Mobile user gets a prompt to download.

Keeps users on YOUR site Very Happy

POST HERE

I'd convert a doc file to PDF since PDF is a lot more portable.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 4:57 PM - Response #9

Thanks... it worked perfectly!

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 7:44 PM - Response #10

Great.

Just noticed a slight issue for older IOS 9 on an iPad. Only shows the first page. I did not bother scrolling before.

I could add code to detect that and use only the one that works - I think href will always work. Need to see if that works.

What I did for our site is to give the user two different link options to view the PDF. One uses the code shown and the other goes to ISSUU (that was our original method where we stored PDF files).

Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 7:28 AM - Response #11

If you are running short on vault space or just want to take a different approach, there is a program named YUMPU
that allows you to upload as many PDFs as you like for free. Here is an example; http://www.boxelder63.com/Full-History-Flip.htm

Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 3:15 PM - Response #12

Good for saving space. Looks like a clone of ISSUU.com site.

What I'd like to see (in both) is the view they give on a phone - a single page at a time at maximum width size for that page.

Natural PDF display by browsers avoids the zooming issue for most screens since only a single page at a time is shown.

Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 12:22 PM - Response #13

I have followed the above instructions and still have not been able to link a pdf to a page. I am trying to show classmates' Christmas cards from 2019. In the FILE VAULT the pdf is there under FILES not IMAGES and when I click on the pdf in the vault to view it is blank. And on the Christmas card page if you click on the link there is a momentary flicker but nothing happens. Please advise what I am doing incorrectly. Thank you.

Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 1:25 PM - Response #14

Can you post the actual code here? Go into editor Source mode (click left most icon on top of editor) then copy and paste the code using Code icon here (3rd from the right).

Or post the link to the page and temporarily make it public.

Wednesday, December 23, 2020 at 2:39 PM - Response #15

click here

Wednesday, December 23, 2020 at 8:47 PM - Response #16

Sorry, nothing showed in code box. Simplest and best is to unlock the page where you have the code. You can make a temporary test page that is not active and then link to that. That's how I make sample pages for this forum.

Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 3:20 PM - Response #17

Try as I might, I was unable to post the PDFs UNTIL I switched out of Firefox and used Internet Explorer. No problems. However, when I sign onto the website using Firefox, I am unable to view the links which are on the left side under JFK's photo (2020 Holiday Cards and 2019 Christmas Cards.) Can this be remedied? Thank you.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.