ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Removing a classmate/Google link

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/21/10 09:20 AM Views: 1895 Replies: 4
Thursday, January 21, 2010 at 9:20 AM

We have had a request from a classmate to be removed from our list due to privacy concerns. The request was also to have the Google link to their name removed as well. I am also checking with the classmate to see if staying on the class list is acceptable as long as the Google link is removed.

Does removing the classmate from the list automatically remove the link to their name from Google?

Thursday, January 21, 2010 at 10:13 AM - Response #1

If the classmate is on the class list, they will be in the google indexed pages.

If the classmate wants privacy, they can turn on the flag on their Profile page - only logged in classmates can view my profile.

This way, none of their personal information will be on Google, but their name. If anyone clicks on the link in Google, they will be taken to the profile page, but it will say that they need to log in first.

If the classmate is eventually deleted from your website, the link to Google will still be there for a while until Google updates their links. We have no control over that.

Edited 01/21/10 10:14 AM
Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 11:57 AM - Response #2

A classmate of ours has asked to be removed from our site, which I did. However, his name connected with the site/school keeps popping up on Google even though we removed him weeks ago. He does not want this to happen. He checked with Google and Here's what he wrote to me:

"apparently Google won't remove an entry until the webmaster jumps through this particular hoop, i.e. applying "the appropriate robots.txt file or meta tags to block us from indexing or archiving this page."

Here are some links he sent to me:

https://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/shortanswer.py?answer=63757&hl=en

Blocking GoogleShare Print
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=93708

Can you help us remedy this?

Thank you!

Monday, March 28, 2011 at 4:01 PM - Response #3

If the classmate has been removed Google will make the update as they reindex the site. I don't have the classmates name so I can't confirm they are no longer in the system, however, if they have been completely removed Google will make that adjustment on their own. Google caches content until it reindexes a site fully. It is most likely the cached results causing this and unfortunately nothing we do on our site will change how Google treats their own cached results.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Thursday, March 15, 2012 at 12:27 AM - Response #4

The correct instructions for requesting that Google purge its cache are here.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.