ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Want a profile active that has not logged in

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/20/12 12:00 AM Views: 1629 Replies: 7
Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I am a bit emotional right now after a call from a good friend and classmate. We've known her brother had only a few months left. She called a bit ago in tears that he had been moved to hospice today and it will not be long. So here is what I want and tried to find by running a search here. I've also tried to think it through but am sure this is where I need to be for clear thinking right now.

Here are the facts and what I would like to do:

1) As much as my friend tried, she could not get her brother to log into the alumni site. Therefore, his profile is not active.

2) I want to make his profile active.

3) I will then add him to our Care and Concerns page with a link for classmates to leave a message.

Before anyone asks about this, let me share what has been bugging me since last week when a member of my class, Andy, was moved to hospice and passed the same week.

When word came last week that Andy was very ill in a Denver hospital and two days later that he was being move close to his family and friends in Colorado Springs, I posted on our class site, alumni site and Facebook. Messages were posted and were good for family in another state to read during this time. His good friend and our classmate, Greg, had the messages in hand waiting for Andy's son to take him to see Andy. Unfortunately, he did not get that last visit. This leads me to the reason for this post.

I want to make the brother's profile active so classmates, friends and those who were members of other activities he participated in may leave a message now. I began to do so, yet paused as it did not feel right inputting an email address (which one: the site email?) and a password.

So I am here for your input and maybe a little nudge/support to help me get this done. The sooner... the better.

Thanks friends.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM - Response #1

Ask if you can put the sisters email address, and put in a password that you will give her. or one that you will know. Crying or Very sad

I changed a classmates email address to his wife's email address after he passed away so she get all the email I send out to the class

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 12:49 AM - Response #2

That is what I was thinking, William. I wanted to complete it now but will wait until I speak with her tomorrow. Knowing she will be driving someone to an appointment at the VA (2.5 hour drive), I do not want to add emails that bring more tears while she is on the road.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 1:05 AM - Response #3

We have had this same thing happen to us with three classmates. We crested a yahoo e-mail account for them and gave them a password so they were active and everyone could send notes. Then gave the information to the family. Worked out wonderful.

The family would then keep us updated on the classmate.

Suzie

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 7:43 AM - Response #4

Another option, not Class Creator-specific, is to encourage setting up a Caring Bridge account (www.caringpridge.org) for the individual. That way everyone can send notes and receive updates from the family. You could post the link to his/her account as an announcement on the CC home page.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM - Response #5

I second what Jim suggested.
Caring Bridge is the greatest for such things, no doubt about it.

You could set it up for the family [creating a new email address and password that you could give to them when appropriate].
In doing so, this will not limit concerns and prayers from just members of your site.
Perhaps follow up with a class wide email, giving a brief description, and a link to the Caring Bridge site link for him.
You/the family could then post what is going on with the brother, and visitors can leave comments. Classmates then have the option of sending the classmate a private message via the class web site as well if they wish.

When someone signs up to his Caring Bridge page, they will receive an email, notifying them that there has been an update to the page [that you or the family has posted].
{classmates, etc. can opt out of this automatic email notification at any time}
Unfortunately, CC cannot do this email notification [I don't think]

Should not have to say this, but going to anyway - all of this with the prior permission of the family - you obviously know them, and it probably would not be a concern to them - - but just in case....

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM - Response #6

CaringBridge is great, I set it up for a close friend. There is also CarePages, about the same thing.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 2:25 PM - Response #7

I believe http://www.lotsahelpinghands.com/ is a similar site too

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.