ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Announcements page width

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/18/13 12:47 PM Views: 1109 Replies: 17
Monday, February 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I noticed on some of the sites, once you scroll down the Announcements page, PAST the side bar items, the announcement 'wraps' to the wider width.

Did I miss something in setting up announcements width? Mine is staying constant width all the way down to bottom.

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 1:29 PM - Response #1

I just reversed the order of display for your announcements and content areas. This is located at the top of the Edit Site Pages > Edit Page for Home. The homepage content area is now after/lower than your annoucements. This area now takes up the wider area of the page. Take a look and then you can switch it back if you prefer.

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 2:03 PM - Response #2

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

I just reversed the order of display for your announcements and content areas. This is located at the top of the Edit Site Pages > Edit Page for Home. The homepage content area is now after/lower than your annoucements. This area now takes up the wider area of the page. Take a look and then you can switch it back if you prefer.

Thanks Scott

I now see how that is done. I need to make some layout changes first before I leave Announcements at the top. Essentially, the Home Page edit area could be abandoned to put everything more easily controlled in Announcements. I will work on that 'superior' layout, but for now I changed it back, mostly because some announcements said look 'above' for Birthdays...

Thanks for your help and I will use that approach after I make some link changes first.

Edited 02/18/13 2:08 PM
Monday, February 18, 2013 at 2:52 PM - Response #3

Derrell Pulis wrote:

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

Thanks Scott

I now see how that is done. I need to make some layout changes first before I leave Announcements at the top. Essentially, the Home Page edit area could be abandoned to put everything more easily controlled in Announcements. I will work on that 'superior' layout, but for now I changed it back, mostly because some announcements said look 'above' for Birthdays...

Thanks for your help and I will use that approach after I make some link changes first.

Scott, I have this backwards don't I. The Home Page Content is the part that has the WIDER screen geography, NOT the Announcements. I like the individualized control over Announcements; Home Page Contents takes more of a challenge to keep various Contents separated from where they start and where they end.

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM - Response #4

"The Home Page Content is the part that has the WIDER screen geography, NOT the Announcements.".... correct.

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 3:02 PM - Response #5

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

"The Home Page Content is the part that has the WIDER screen geography, NOT the Announcements.".... correct.

Where I come from, they would call my mistake "bass ackards".

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 3:40 PM - Response #6

Derrell Pulis wrote:

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

Where I come from, they would call my mistake "bass ackards".

OK,now I am experimenting. As noted Home Page Content has the WIDER screen versus Announcements. Therein is my quandary. Announcements offer more control than Home Page Content. I can remove and reactivate when I want, and display for Everyone, or just Logged in.

This is kind of Far Out, so need some "OPINION" If I force my Announcements to start after the Right side items, I get full width of the page, using Announcements. How do I do that; very first announcement, purposely make a "blow out" announcement. Am I asking for trouble if I did that? I don't want to force an issue, and underlying problems after 3 years going now.

Only caveat I can see,is that I would need to Very Carefully make sure my Home Page Content fills all the way down through end of selected Right Side Information

Edited 02/19/13 3:43 PM
Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM - Response #7

If yu want to intentionally blow out the page, just make an announcement that has nothing but spaces in it, and make enough of them to be wider than the main content area width at the top where the right modules are.

Saturday, February 23, 2013 at 4:34 PM - Response #8

The way mine was set up is the announcement area fill the top left column and the Rt. modules on the right. The home page area content is after the announcements and now with the wider screen has more potential. But now there's this big empty space before the announcements begin and looks like when you get a document where it says this space left intentionally blank.
What can I do to restore the top left column for announcements (smaller screen), keep all on the Rt. module and start the home page content below like before? If there is instruction on how to control the screen on top left column , I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Saturday, February 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM - Response #9

Thelma,

If the announcements are at the top, you need to remember that the announcements all move as a block, so if one announcement is too wide, it will force all the announcements to move to below the right-side modules.

To find out which announcement is too wide, go to POST ANNOUNCEMENTS, click on VIEW for the first announcement. If it appears below the right-side modules, THAT ANNOUNCEMENT has problems. Look for an image that is too wide or a URL or a line that doesn't have any spaces in it. Make the changes, then view the announcement again and see if it still has problems. Repeat with the process with each of the visible announcements.

Saturday, February 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM - Response #10

PS - I don't see the problem you describe in Firefox browser.

Saturday, February 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM - Response #11

Kyle,
I just checked again, it's exactly as I decribed IE9, and something else is happening. The page starts in the middle part of the home page before I log in. I will have to double check when I come back.
I didn't find anything on the announcement area that was wider than it should. Also checked the lower part of the home page with long URL's and no video is over 400 pixels.
Thank you.

Saturday, February 23, 2013 at 5:42 PM - Response #12

The problem is with your CLIP ART announcement. you have a "Healing Gourmet" image with a width of 390. that would be fine, but then you used NO-WRAP-HARD-SPACE (space bar) before the image, so that the image cannot wrap... If you want to have it centered, NEVER USE THE SPACE BAR. It always causes problems. There are HTML alignment codes to do the centering for you.

The problem didn't occur in Firefox.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM - Response #13

Thank you Kyle!
I'm adding this on my not to do list - "Do not use space bar to center"

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at 8:15 PM - Response #14

Why are the announcements not showing at the top on my IPad. Are you still not supporting IPad since 2010? What should I look for that might prevent it to show correctly on my IPad?

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at 9:53 PM - Response #15

Worked for my iPad3 - Safari. Just the flash clock won't show of course (Edit: Clock shows too, must have code to adapt?)

Might be a connection issue?

Edited 03/12/14 9:56 PM
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at 10:21 PM - Response #16

I was able to get a suggestion to correct at TAP this evening. I clicked off each announcement to see which one was blowing it out. Found the one that was causing it. It was the Reunion time clock. I adjusted the width size under source.
Thanks for checking.
kk

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at 11:19 PM - Response #17

Was it that way when I posted earlier? For the '64 site.

Everything looked fine for me. I didn't even realize you were talking about a "blowout" issue. I thought you meant they were "not showing" at all.

Maybe I have a newer version of Safari?

Yes, all blowouts are caused by something being too wide.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.