ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Anchor from one announcement to another

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/26/10 01:11 PM Views: 1524 Replies: 3
Sunday, September 26, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Hi,

I'm back with another "anchor" question. Rolling Eyes (I know, I know)

I have several "sets" of announcements on my Home Page. How do I link from a SOURCE in one announcement set to a TARGET anchor in another announcement set, both on the Home Page?

Thanks for any guidance you might give.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 at 4:15 PM - Response #1

Here's the work-around trick to be able to be able to click from one announcement to another.

1. In the target announcement, create the anchor point and make a note of the name you gave it -- say "#jumptohere" then save this announcement.

2. In the source announcement you want to link FROM, create an anchor and give it the EXACT SAME NAME as the anchor in the target announcement.

3. Still in the source announcement create a link to the "fake" anchor point "#jumptohere" and save this announcement.

3. Edit this same announcement and delete the "fake" anchor point and save the change.

Now when you view the announcements on the home page, the link in the source announcement will jump to the anchor in the target announcement.

Took me some time to figure this one out, but I'm happy to share the technique.

Because the anchor points must be chosen from the drop-down list, creating the "fake" anchor point temporarily gives you that link. By eliminating the "fake" anchor point, the system searches down the page to find it -- and runs into the original one. Wink

Those who have music players at the bottom of their home page might find this a useful tool to create a top-of-the-page link to jump right to the music player so the visitor can adjust the volume or silence it.

Edited 09/26/10 4:21 PM
Saturday, October 23, 2010 at 9:07 PM - Response #2

John,

I owe you a big thank you and an apology.

The thank you is for your taking the time to respond in a timely manner with your very creative way of getting different announcements to "talk" to one another. Great job.

The apology is in my not getting back to you to thank you in a timely manner. I got caught up in some other things but that's an excuse, not a reason.

A sincere, "Thank You".

Jim

Saturday, October 23, 2010 at 10:01 PM - Response #3

Another way to do this is to create your anchor in the target announcement and then in the source announcement, create a link as a normal URL link rather than choosing the link to text option. Enter the URL of your homepage, followed by the name of the anchor, preceded by the # sign. So the link would be in this form: www.batavia61.com#anchorname

Edited 10/23/10 10:32 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.