ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Need to input info into Profile by Admin before Members First Login

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/12/13 05:05 PM Views: 982 Replies: 8
Friday, July 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Hi -- maybe I'm trying to do something that can't be done.

I was hoping that, as I added new members, I could actually input answers to the Profile that, once they become a new member would show up for them to either edit or delete themselves as they go through the Wizard the first time they log on and become an official member (I would let them know to do this in the letter I send to them introducing the website). The questions I created on Profile Generator are ones that they have already answered for a reunion that just happened and I was hoping they wouldn't have to re-type all that info in for themselvs, a second time. They likely wouldn't do it. So I copied all that info into each of the Profiles under "Manage Classmates" as I added them to the class list.

But, the information I entered there doesn't show up or get picked up when the classmate is going through the Wizard questions from Profile Generator.

Other than actually creating a password for each classmate myself, copying the info into their profiles myself, and avoiding the login Wizard altogther, I haven't figured a way to do what I want to do for them.

Is there a way? The only other alternative I could come up with is to create different questions under the Profile Generator and post the profiles they already wrote as a separate page entirely -- as a long document they'd have to scroll through, I think.

However, this begs another question....Why do I, as an admin, have the ability to type anything under the Edit Profile section of Manage Classmates if it doesn't show up anywhere? Or does it?

Obviously I need some advice....Thanks much!

Elaine

Friday, July 12, 2013 at 5:07 PM - Response #1

P.S. There are only 16 classmates in the class so it isn't like I'm generating a whole lot of work for myself.

Friday, July 12, 2013 at 5:21 PM - Response #2

Elaine,

Did you figure it out? It looks like you did. On Edit Classmate Profiles page, there is the following option:
   Show Admin-entered Classmate Profile details prior to Classmate joining the site.
       Show only to logged-in Classmates
       Show to the public
You didn't have it selected when you posted this comment, but now you have it selected and I am seeing the information in their profile even though they haven't signed up with your website yet.

Friday, July 12, 2013 at 5:42 PM - Response #3

Yes, I have that checked but in my test profiles, only Step 1 info is retrieved during the login (Wizard) process and not Step 2 (except the spouse name). None of the other stuff I see that is there as admin shows up for the classmate when they get to the questions I created under Profile Generator....

Friday, July 12, 2013 at 5:44 PM - Response #4

I could create another test ID for you if you want to try to see what I mean....

Wait a minute -- on Test3 Student, it worked. ....now I'm confused. I'll look to see if the other profiles are checked properly and try again.... will let you know how it goes...

Oh, it isn't each individual to check, I see it is a "global" check once button (I thought I had that checked properly before).

And, nope, I only see the info when I am logged in as "admin" but when the classmate goes through the Wizard when first joining the information that shows is only the "Detail" information in Step 1 of the Wizard -- the info from the profile I entered as an Admin, doesn't get picked up in Step 2 for the classmate (except Spouse name) -- and the information does not show in the Profile after they join either.

Want to try it with a test ID on my site?

Edited 07/12/13 6:02 PM
Friday, July 12, 2013 at 7:51 PM - Response #5

Elaine,
A note to say Hi and to invite you to join TAP - The Administrator's Place. It is a site admins are welcome to join where she share, ask for ideas and more in (real time) weekly chats. I hope you will join us when you get a break from your site. Smile

Friday, July 12, 2013 at 8:33 PM - Response #6

Definitely will do that, Gwen. I have 2 sites now (the other one I've neglected for awhile but the classmates are still using it and it's going strong)....so I'm sure it would be very helpful for me to join TAP. Thanks! Elaine

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM - Response #7

What you are wanting to do cannot be done. The option talked about is to show information entered by the admin for classmates that will probably never join. When the classmate does join, the admin-entered information is deleted because the classmate can enter their own information.

The admin-entered information is not used as the default information for the profile. However, I will make that suggestion and see if it is approved and can be added to the product in the future.

The Manage Classmates, Enter/Edit Classmates, is mostly used by the admin to correct spelling mistakes, remove vulgar remarks, etc. after the classmate has joined. Then with the option mentioned above, all of the admin-entered comments can be shown before the classmate signs up, but if the classmate signs up, that information is lost.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 1:02 PM - Response #8

Thanks, Kyle -- I thought that may be the situation. I will work around it. And thanks for making the suggestion to add the function in the future. Elaine

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.