ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

A classmate has been signed in for two days

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/09/11 11:58 PM Views: 2075 Replies: 12
Sunday, January 9, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Is there a way we, as Admins, can sign-out a classmate who has been signed in for two days? I thought I read somewhere that the system would do so. I do not see that happening with this or other classmates who have stayed around for days.

Of course, as I write this I realize she may have left it open in order to find it again. Maybe I should be happy about it.

Thoughts from all of you are always welcome!

Monday, January 10, 2011 at 11:14 AM - Response #1

Two thoughts occur to this devil's advocate and I am looking forward to anything someone else has to say. I have recently used Google analytics to work with this site, wish I had from the beginning but it is what it is. When I looked at that, I realized that MY being signed in and staying signed in was skewing the figures.

If you are using google analytics, this is an issue. On the other hand it isn't something I would hassle anyone over! Yes we are happy they care! I have one member who did this a couple of times, but I know she has had a stroke and do YOU THINK I am going to say anything to her? Not on your life. I am just glad she's engaged!

So what is everyone else going to say to this?

Denise

Monday, January 10, 2011 at 11:35 AM - Response #2

Denise Derge wrote:

...I realized that MY being signed in and staying signed in was skewing the figures...

I added StatCounter when someone else recommended it here in the Help Forums.

It allows you to make a list of IP address such as your own and excludes the activities of these listed visitors from the data it reports. It's free, but only stores 500 records -- this is the last 500 visitors. You can buy an upgrade for $5/month to increase the limit 5,000 records. (There are also higher choices at higher prices.)

Note that if you have multiple accounts you are tracking, the limit is 500 per account, not 500 over all the accounts.

Here's the basic report -- showing page views, not visitors (you can dig through the data very easily and have a periodic email report sent to one or more people (think your Reunion Team). One of the 4 projects shows all zeros because the source code hasn't been loaded yet.

Edited 01/10/11 11:38 AM
Monday, January 10, 2011 at 11:37 AM - Response #3

Hmmm John I will consider this. I have over 500 names but I know that all 500 will NEVER be active. So is there a way to tell StatCounter that you only want to look a certain (named) accounts and not all of them?

DKD

Monday, January 10, 2011 at 11:41 AM - Response #4

Denise Derge wrote:

Hmmm John I will consider this. I have over 500 names but I know that all 500 will NEVER be active. So is there a way to tell StatCounter that you only want to look a certain (named) accounts and not all of them?

DKD

Sorry Denise -- I edited my original response to show that it's the last 500 visitors that are being reported. I also added a link to a sample report. If you know the IP address of an individual member, you can view their track through your website and you can assign their name to that IP address.

Monday, January 10, 2011 at 11:53 AM - Response #5

So do you use this INSTEAD of google analytics or is there another place to insert source code?

I learn something new every day!

Monday, January 10, 2011 at 12:09 PM - Response #6

I have both Google Analytics and StatCounter working. Under "Preferences", scroll to the bottom of the page. There's a window there under "Google Analytics."

When you paste the code for StatCounter, just be sure to scroll to the top or bottom of the code window and paste there -- not in the middle of Google's code. Rolling EyesRolling Eyes

Remember to Save before leaving the page.

Edited 01/10/11 12:11 PM
Monday, January 10, 2011 at 12:19 PM - Response #7

Gwen Corey wrote:

Is there a way we, as Admins, can sign-out a classmate who has been signed in for two days? I thought I read somewhere that the system would do so. I do not see that happening with this or other classmates who have stayed around for days.

Of course, as I write this I realize she may have left it open in order to find it again. Maybe I should be happy about it.

Thoughts from all of you are always welcome!

What exactly is alerting you that somebody has been signed in for 2 days? I'm going to take a guess it's because you're continually seeing the individual on the Instant messaging panel but let me know if you're making this assessment some other way.

Monday, January 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM - Response #8

I see it through the IM bar, not sure about Gwen.

Somewhat related. I have a tab on my browser set to the class site about 10 hrs a day -- forget sometimes to click Away/Do Not Disturb/Invisible when I'm away.

This afternoon, I saw this pop-up: From the date it appears to have been sent 6:33 pm yesterday.. But I've been on and off the site many times last evening and today and didn't see that message until just a few minutes ago. This has happened before.

What might cause a message like this not to be delivered immediately? And/or stay "live" until I close it or respond (assuming the person is online).

And can you remind me of the time-out time (in minutes) before users are removed from my list of online members and get the "Reconnect" notice?

Monday, January 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM - Response #9

The same thing happened with one of the classmates using our site. I had to email her and ask her to sign out-do you suppose there is something else happening here?

Monday, January 10, 2011 at 6:27 PM - Response #10

Sally Adkins wrote:

The same thing happened with one of the classmates using our site. I had to email her and ask her to sign out-do you suppose there is something else happening here?

When I see a classmate signed on to the site for 2 days..I just email them..telling them they must have forgotten to sign off. I make a joke out of it!! And Viola!!! they poof after receiving and reading the emails.

Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:21 PM - Response #11

If they click "Keep me logged in" or "Remember me" or whatever it says, the cookie doesn't expire.

If they don't, then the cookie expires when they close their browser. Any browser window being open keeps the cookie open. So if they close the browser window they're logged in with but they have multiple other browser windows still open, then the cookie is still there and they're still logged in.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 at 10:49 PM - Response #12

Thanks for the reply, Brad. The classmate was signed in for three or four days. She showed in the "Who's Online Now" box.

My computer died suddenly over a week ago and I missed your reply. My apologies. She is no longer showing on the site.

Edited 01/19/11 10:51 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.