ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Delete Classmate but preserve details

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/03/17 05:57 AM Views: 1061 Replies: 14
Monday, July 3, 2017 at 5:57 AM

I've been asked to remove a Classmate from my website by his wife as he now suffers dementia and is unable to do the things he used to do.

I would like to keep his Profile details onsite as he's been a member for a number of years now however,his wife doesn't want to receive any more emails via the website. If I delete him completely, it's as if he never existed and any comments he's made on the In Memory page etc will also be deleted.

Any suggestions as to the best way to approach this?

Monday, July 3, 2017 at 11:22 AM - Response #1

Although we've asked in the past for a check box to disable a member or block his ability to post while leaving his profile and previous posts visible, the need to do that doesn't happen often enough to justify the programming changes needed.

In this case, removing his email address from his details should accomplish what his wife wants you to do as he would no longer receive emails or be able to log in. It's not a perfect solution though, as the system will send one last email to his old address notifying him about what you've done.

Monday, July 3, 2017 at 12:24 PM - Response #2

What about changing all the Notify Me settings to Never? That way, if he was having a more lucid day and wanted to see pictures, etc., of his old friends, he would still have the ability to get into the site. Just an idea. I have a few relatives and friends who suffer from dementia and while they can't remember current things, they love to tell stories from the past and enjoy reliving memories from their younger days.

Monday, July 3, 2017 at 12:28 PM - Response #3

Thanks, John.

It was the 'last email' business that put me off that idea but if I had explained to his wife what I was doing I suppose I could have got around it that way.

However, as I've now deleted him, I could resurrect him again (see post to Debbie, below)using a Password I've created along with his own email address or one of my own and then do as Debbie said and use the Notify Me options to prevent emails and Logging In etc.

Edited 07/03/17 12:43 PM
Monday, July 3, 2017 at 12:33 PM - Response #4

Thanks for the idea Debbie.

That would have been possible had I known the Classmate's Log In password. As I could have accessed his email details I suppose I could have achieved the same if I had changed his password and explained to his wife what I was doing but it never crossed my mind at the time. She was also convinced that he'd never be able to read , let alone understand, any emails or other existing website details as he's now 4 years down the dementia road and is unable to see any positives.

I've now deleted him from the site so it's probably too late although I did take a hard copy of his Profile details for posterity so could resurrect the Profile from scratch. I'll mull it over.

Thanks, again.

Edited 07/03/17 12:38 PM
Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 8:28 PM - Response #5

The system won't allow you to do that, John, as you receive a pop-up telling you the Primary Email Address is invalid.

I ended up doing as Debbie suggested and, just in case, I created a nonsensical email address to replace my Classmate's existing one to allow me to access the Notify Me page should I need to re-instate his Notify Me selections if by some miracle his condition improves.It seems to accept a made-up email address so long as it's in a correct format e.g nanonono@nnnooom.com , it's just a question of you remembering what you've created.

Changing the email address in this way also prevents any other Classmate (who might be new or have forgotten about me telling them of his situation)trying to send him a message via his website Profile or the Message Centre.

What the Classmate has written on his Profile will also still be available for other members to view.

Edited 07/12/17 8:32 PM
Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 11:59 PM - Response #6

Mark Foulsham wrote:

The system won't allow you to do that, John, as you receive a pop-up telling you the Primary Email Address is invalid.

Maybe there's something different in RD, but I had no problem deleting an email address in someone's details. In fact, the system pop-up when I click on Change assumes that may be what I wanted to do.
I just clicked on Change, deleted everything, and saved. The advantage of doing that is that you won't get a bounce for Email the Class or any other notifies. But you took care of that by changing his Notify Me choices.

Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 7:19 AM - Response #7

I didn't use the 'Change' method, John, as I know that results in an email being sent to the member for confirmation. I just removed the existing email address and replaced it with the one I created before saving the changes.

Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 3:45 PM - Response #8

All the wife has to do is turn off the notify by email to off. That's so much easier than what you are trying to do. I have at least 10 who do not want to receive emails from the site and they turned their notify flag off.
I hope this helps.

Mark Foulsham wrote:

I've been asked to remove a Classmate from my website by his wife as he now suffers dementia and is unable to do the things he used to do.

I would like to keep his Profile details onsite as he's been a member for a number of years now however,his wife doesn't want to receive any more emails via the website. If I delete him completely, it's as if he never existed and any comments he's made on the In Memory page etc will also be deleted.

Any suggestions as to the best way to approach this?

Friday, July 14, 2017 at 5:27 AM - Response #9

Unfortunately, his wife is not computer literate, Darlene, so it was a question of me having to turn off notifications but I needed his Password to do so. Changing his Password would have activated a Password change email that would have annoyed and confused his wife even more so I was trying to avoid that.

Friday, July 14, 2017 at 10:31 AM - Response #10

If you email info@classcreator.com the site name as well as the name and email of the site member you need notifications turned off for we will make those adjustments on our end.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Friday, July 14, 2017 at 11:49 AM - Response #11

Thanks, Jessica. I wasn't aware you'd do that. I've sorted things out for this particular member but I'll be sure to do as you suggest if it happens again.

Friday, December 28, 2018 at 2:27 PM - Response #12

I have a classmate who no longer wants to be listed on the class list. Is there a way to deactivate him so he doesnt show up as a member and will no longer receive any notifications, BUT I can keep his info and photo "just in case"?

Friday, December 28, 2018 at 2:54 PM - Response #13

Hi Camille,

You can change their profile to a non-displaying guest under Manage Classmates > Enter/Edit Classmates > find their name and click on their details page and mid way through the details page there is a guest check box and a non-displaying guest option. let me know their name and I can turn off all of their notifications if they do not wish to receive emails. Just a first initial and last name is usually enough for me to make that change.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Friday, December 28, 2018 at 3:37 PM - Response #14

Thanks, Jessica. I already deleted him so I guess there is nothing you can do now, but thanks anyway.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.