ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Admin would like non-admin view

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/06/09 12:18 AM Views: 1642 Replies: 8
Monday, July 6, 2009 at 12:18 AM

I suppose I could create a fictitious classmate with a mailing address that I have access to, and see things through the eyes of a non-admin that way, but is there a way to "see the site as regular members see it"? How about some sort of toggle that an admin could switch on and off?

Monday, July 6, 2009 at 12:39 AM - Response #1

Simply add a test user:

1) Click Manage Classmates
2) Click the Enter/Edit Classmates button
3) Click the Add Member button
4) Add user (call it "Test Classmate" or whatever you'd like)
5) Set the member to be a Non Displaying Guest Member. This way you won't clutter your Class List with your Test Classmate.
6) Log out as you, and log in as the Test Classmate. Log in as this person any time you'd like to see how the site looks in non admin mode.

Aside from seeing your Admin links on the bottom left, you'll find very few differences. In fact once you've looked around for awhile as the Test Classmate, I doubt you'll find the need to use the test account much in the future. But anyway, it's a good way to see the site in standard mode, especially when you're new and getting used to how everything works.

Monday, July 6, 2009 at 12:45 AM - Response #2

Man, you guys are right on top of things. Great.

So, a Test Classmate as you describe it will not be part of the statistics?

Thanks,
g

Monday, July 6, 2009 at 12:57 AM - Response #3

A Non Displaying Guest Member will never be seen by your Classmates. In some of your admin views you will see the Non Displaying Guest, such as under your Manage Classmates area. But the Non Displaying Guest won't count toward any statistics or anything like that, such as number of Classmates, etc.

Monday, July 6, 2009 at 1:04 AM - Response #4

Thanks, Brad--

I have one suggestion. In the instructions you sent, you said:

1) Click Manage Classmates
2) Click the Enter/Edit Classmates button
3) Click the Add Member button
4) Add user (call it "Test Classmate" or whatever you'd like)
5) Set the member to be a Non Displaying Guest Member. This way you won't clutter your Class List with your Test Classmate.
6) Log out as you, and log in as the Test Classmate. Log in as this person any time you'd like to see how the site looks in non admin mode.

In #5, there *is* no such option as "Non Displaying Guest Member". There are three options on the screen there:

Show On Class List: O Yes O No O Show as Guest Member

and I can pick only one of them to have the desired effect. It would be more explicit to have the instructions say:

5. Under "Show On Class List", select No. This way you won't clutter your Class List with your Test Classmate.

--Guy (I'm a tech writer....)

Monday, July 6, 2009 at 3:07 AM - Response #5

I've gotten so used to referring to it as "Non Displaying Guest Member" I forgot the option for setting this was just "no." Thanks for pointing that out.

Monday, July 6, 2009 at 3:15 AM - Response #6

Yup. I recognized the "insider explanation syndrome" immediately. Very Happy As a former Boy Scout, I try to leave the campsite neater than I found it.

Monday, January 4, 2010 at 5:41 PM - Response #7

I am trying to add guest member. no problem. but to test. I have no log out on my page. It show Logged In. Larry, Thats it Thanks....

Monday, January 4, 2010 at 6:36 PM - Response #8

Logout is found under Member Functions, on the left-hand menu items.

It is spelled "Log Out"

Edited 01/04/10 6:36 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.