ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Email the Class

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 12/19/08 01:39 AM Views: 1596 Replies: 6
Friday, December 19, 2008 at 1:39 AM

When I EMAIL THE CLASS, why do classmates come up that don't have an email address? Obviously, I can't email them. How about just showing those classmates that have an email address. And I guess if people wanted a quick list of everyone including those without an email, you could put two links at the top of the list, one that says "Show only classmates with emails" and "Show ALL classmates."

Thanks

Friday, December 19, 2008 at 4:52 AM - Response #1

We could do that, although the only real negative to the current setup I see here is you have to scroll a little more to get to the bottom of the screen to actually send your email. There's all kinds of reasons people might want to see who's NOT getting an email though at the time of the send. Maybe right from the email page somebody wants to make a note of who's not being notified of something or other, so they can contact the Classmate in some other fashion, such as a written letter or a phone call. I'm hesitant to add more options to an already complex screen when we can just keep it simple? Or so it seems to me. You guys tell me if I'm wrong here.

Edited 12/19/08 11:45 AM
Friday, December 19, 2008 at 9:44 AM - Response #2

I like it the way it is... it's true you have to scroll longer to get to the bottom of the page, but it's not that frequent that I'm emailing the whole class and it's good to be reminded of who isn't getting the email.
Thanks for all you (and your team!) do, Brad! We really appreciate it. Have a happy holiday and please don't feel obligated to respond to all the posts during this time. Laughing

Friday, December 19, 2008 at 11:41 AM - Response #3

And to you Beth. Smile

Speaking of which, from the 21st to the 31st forum support is going to be extremely sporadic. Anybody in here is just going to have to wait for answers. I know you guys are all great at helping each other though. In fact if this continues much longer I think you guys aren't going to need me or Jess or Rhonda at all. Smile

Edited 12/19/08 11:45 AM
Friday, December 19, 2008 at 2:07 PM - Response #4

Brad Switzer wrote:

We could do that, although the only real negative to the current setup I see here is you have to scroll a little more to get to the bottom of the screen to actually send your email. There's all kinds of reasons people might want to see who's NOT getting an email though at the time of the send. Maybe right from the email page somebody wants to make a note of who's not being notified of something or other, so they can contact the Classmate in some other fashion, such as a written letter or a phone call. I'm hesitant to add more options to an already complex screen when we can just keep it simple? Or so it seems to me. You guys tell me if I'm wrong here.

Hmmm...don't I have to scroll down already to the bottom of the list and press the SEND EMAIL button? Again, I think having a link that shows all or shows only those with an email would solve both issues. Can't you go to MISSING CLASSMATES and find out who doesn't have a profile?

Have a MERRY MERRY Christmas.

Friday, December 19, 2008 at 2:16 PM - Response #5

Kendall Wheeler wrote:

Brad Switzer wrote:
We could do that, although the only real negative to the current setup I see here is you have to scroll a little more to get to the bottom of the screen to actually send your email.

Hmmm...don't I have to scroll down already to the bottom of the list and press the SEND EMAIL button?

I think Brad is saying that that's only negative to the current set-up - that you have to scroll longer because the list is longer with names of classmates without emails.

Maybe Kendall is thinking that it's misleading to list their names there, because someone could think they have sent them the email (if they don't look close enough for the checkboxes). Hopefully no admins are haphazardly using the "Email the class" feature and would read the full page before sending. I think I've only used it 2 times.

Friday, December 19, 2008 at 4:56 PM - Response #6

Right. That's the current negative. If you consider it a negative, anyway. Regardless of the size of your Class list you could simply hit control-End and be immediately at the bottom anyway, if scrolling is too much of a pain. With all of the default pre-selection options coming shortly, we've already got a pretty loaded screen on our hands here. And although a minor thing, I'm hesitant to add additional buttons and links to the page when at best they would prevent you from having to scroll a little further - that's literally the only benefit to this unless I'm missing something.

There's something to be said for the old KISS rule. Sometimes keeping things simple beats allowing every possible thing. In this case, showing Classmates without email really doesn't hurt you in any way, and in fact can help the people that do want to see what Classmate names will not be receiving the email. Just my two cents folks. If you could hear some of the phone calls we take over here, you'd understand my desire to adhere to the KISS rule. Smile

Edited 12/19/08 5:07 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.